UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1140193 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The Priest, Arthur and Source Code are all worth a watch.  I was expecting Arthur to be shit but I actually really enjoyed it, you do need to be a fan of Russell Brand though otherwise I suspect you'd hate it.

The Hangover 2 is a massive letdown.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Limitless is good. Daft escapist fun but well done.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Yeah, it is good, I saw that recently too.  I like Bradley Cooper.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Do 2 Unlimited do the theme tune?

tomtom

• forum hero
Probably already covered here (translated means I cant be arsed to look back through the thread..), But...

Me & MrsTT watched the Fighter last night.

What a superb film. Brilliant. Engaging, and based on a true story (watch the credits if you see it.. its unmissable..).

MrsTT is not a boxing fan, but really enjoyed it.. Affleck and Warhberg were superb. 10/10.

Dr T

• forum hero
Just watched My Neighbour Totoro - so beautiful

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Peacock; it's weird and the ending isn't as good as I'd hoped but it's quite a cool film, Cillian Murphy is excellent it and make a VERY convincing lady.

I wasn't that impressed with The Fighter, it was ok but I wouldn't tell people to rush out and see it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Monsters - slow, sparse, but good. Settings and people were done pretty well, I liked it.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The new X Men is awesome although I have a bit of a soft spot for that sort of film, definitely worth seeing if you liked the other ones though.

The Lives of Others which we watched off the back of loads of really good reviews and it just wasn't as great as I was hoping, I also found the subtitles pretty hard going as they were small and the pace of them was awfully fast as it's a rather wordy film. 

Man on Fire which we watched because it was supposed to be like Taken but wasn't half as good, I didn't think, worth a watch if you're stuck but not brilliant.

galpinos

• forum hero

Brighton Rock - Well shot, beautiful bleak colours, the early 60s setting with costumes, cars, sets etc looked great but...... moving it to the early 60s and mixing it up with the mods/rockers meant I was a bit lost as to where Pinkie and the rival gang fitted in. They seemed a bit incongruous as if they were from an earlier time (which I guess they were). I also struggled to believe in Pinkie and his ability to seduce Rose with niggled a bit.

Anyway, worth watching but not wow.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Cell 211 last night. I could ramble on about it for ages but suffice to say it's the best film I've seen in a long time. Worth watching for Luis Tosar's voice alone.

Davey_C

• regular
Recently watched Super, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's the same concept as Kick-Ass (wannabe super hero), except darker and a LOT more violent.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Ironclad is pretty good, although it contained the most lifelike and gratuitous violence I have seen in a film for some time.  :ohmy:

Paul B

• forum hero
The new X Men is awesome although I have a bit of a soft spot for that sort of film, definitely worth seeing if you liked the other ones though.

I thought this was pretty good until the last action scene then it all got a little bit tacky.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Yeah, it was a bit cheesy at the end.  I kind of expect stuff like that to have a bit of cheese though so I let it slide. :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I think it's been recommended earlier on but I rented Fire in Babylon off iTunes and it's bloody brilliant.  Documentary telling the story of the West Indies cricket team under Clive Loyd during the eighties. With this and Senna, its a great year for Sports films

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Another Year recently and I completely disagree with this review.

I love some of Mike Leigh's stuff. Happy-Go-Lucky is really good and Secrets & Lies one of my favourite films of all time. However Another Year, despite great acting and some nice touches of dark comedy, just wasn't interesting or unpredictable enough to make enjoyable viewing of the thoroughly depressing subject matter.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Source Code It got a rare five stars rating from the Guardian's reviewer ... I wouldn't argue with that. A very tight elegant bit of film-making.

:agree:

We watched this last night. Superb.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I concur. Very nicely done. Groundhog Matrix ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I liked Arthur.  :-[  I want to see Sucker Punch but the hetrosexual male in my life doesn't seem keen.  >:(

Watched Super 8 last night, it's really good, a proper epic kids adventure.  I really enjoyed it, it felt like the big kids films my dad use to bring home for us when we were younger like The Goonies.  The kids in it are really great, it's well worth a watch.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I have been banned from reading that, the computer thinks it's either pr0n or social networking and therefor not suitable for viewing in work time. :D  I'll check it out later.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I read the review on my phone.  I might give it a miss, I had no idea that was what it was about and it sounds vile, cheers J.

tomtom

• forum hero

Source Code It got a rare five stars rating from the Guardian's reviewer ... I wouldn't argue with that. A very tight elegant bit of film-making.

:agree:

We watched this last night. Superb.

Excellent this landed on the doormat today :)

Saw monsters this week and really liked it. Superb, especially considering the budget..

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
out of my recent cinema trips:

transformers 3-better than the second one but not as good as the first.the new girl is way hotter than megan fox though ;)

green lantern-watchable and the gf loved it but bit dissapointed

hangover 2-amazing,well funny possibly even better than the first

horrible bosses-well funny

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal