UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139461 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Had some films through the door from LoveFilm the other day – Team America and The Secretary.

The former was as expected – humorous, clever, entertaining etc.

The later was not the Saturday night sit-in-with-the-GF light entertainment we were expecting! It was good, if difficult viewing. It explores some odd themes, but does so in a way that doesn’t seem to glorify it, or make too much of a moral statement. Well acted and directed. As she’s a fairly new GF, I did have to explain that it’s not my usual type of film, and no, I’m not into spanking…

Brilliant film, in so many ways.
I once watched "a complete history of my sexual failings" with my sister and a new gf. Don't know what i was thinking, the clue is most definitely in the title. It's a self-made documentary. Again, what the fuck was i thinking!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
are you sure that wasn't a mad dream? it sounds very surreal

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Anyone seen "A serbian movie"?

Wrong, just plain wrong, wrong in an irreversible way but way wronger.

:o

Yup, that's pretty much what the reviews said so I steered well clear!!  :o

The Secretary.

Brilliant film, in so many ways.
I once watched "a complete history of my sexual failings" with my sister and a new gf. Don't know what i was thinking, the clue is most definitely in the title. It's a self-made documentary. Again, what the fuck was i thinking!

Went to watch Blue Valentine the other day with the GF - another great film with Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling. It also has some "interesting" moments - didn't bother us at all, but the Mother/Father/19yr old Daughter combo in the row in front were certainly finding it uncomfortable! At times you could actually see the gulf between the girl and her dad grow as the scene went on - classic! (The graphic man giving woman vigorous head scene was a personal favourite in the awkwardness stakes!)

Very good film, dark and sombre, with some light hearted moments. A tale of love and loss.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:28:27 am by Fultonius »

mikomon

If you don't mind subtitles, check out La Haine (the hate). Its set in paris and according to the box is "a portrait of an inner city, multiracial community drawn together by boredom, anger, prejudice and pounding rap music".  I've watched it a fair few times now and it's still hair on the back of my neck-lifting tackle, oldish but ###### full-on

Dr T

• forum hero
If you don't mind subtitles, check out La Haine (the hate). Its set in paris and according to the box is "a portrait of an inner city, multiracial community drawn together by boredom, anger, prejudice and pounding rap music".  I've watched it a fair few times now and it's still hair on the back of my neck-lifting tackle, oldish but ###### full-on

The French primeminister of the time made his cabinate sit down and watch it as a demonstration of what was happening in the Paris suburbs

and yes awesome film...

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I was disappointed with The Fighter, we watched it at the weekend.  I don't really know why though, it just wasn't what I expected, I think maybe because we'd been talking about the story beforehand and what happened in the film wasn't really what had been explained to me about his career and fighting style and stuff.  The characters were amazing though, that family, all the sisters!! :lol:

Also watched NEDs which was ok but again not what I expected at all and went a bit odd at the end, I'm not really sure how it finished up.  It was fun to watch though and brought back a lot of memories from school and younger days despite the fact I'm a generation behind the people featured in the film.

I've got Troll Hunter downloaded but I don't know if I can bring myself to watch.

andy popp

• forum hero
Has anyone seen True Grit yet?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Magpie - see middle previous page.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Yes, me.  :)

It was much better than I expected, well worth a watch, I'd say.  The wee girl is fantastic in it.  :thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I want to see the Troll Hunter. Hmmm how did I forget about that one?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I really enjoyed True Grit. I can't make any comparisons between the original or other Westerns as its not really a genre I've been exposed to.
I think the best thing about it is just the feeling of adventure and pioneering that comes across throughout the film. The action is well interspersed with some good comedic scenes and its very well shot. The relationship between the three main characters is great too.
Only problem is that sometimes Jeff Bridges should really have subtitles.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Animal Kingdom

Some Melbourne gangsters (with a scary Barbara Windsor type mum) get into an escalating contretemps with the police. Various incidents of gun crime, murder and blockies ensue. Entirely unexpected ending (assuming you don't check it on Wikipedia).

Based on various true stories.

Yossarian rating - 8/10

I concur. Watched this on Saturday. Very good.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched The Bahder Meinhoff Complex last week.    A fairly good dramatisation of events leading up to and during the reign of terror by the Red Army Faction in the 60's and 70's. 

Yossarian

• forum hero
I agree. I watched it around the same time as Mesrine, and thought they both captured that grimy 70s look pretty well.

I saw Breach the other night - not sure if it's been mentioned before.  Concerns the story of the final period leading up to the arrest of FBI traitor Robert Hanssen.  Ryan Phillipe and Chris Cooper. Not altogether satisfying, though I don't suppose that was really the point...

Seb

• addict
Im not sure if this has already been mentioned but I just saw Black Dynamite. Its a spoof / homage to 70s Blaxploitation. Good fun B movie nonsense with some very funny moments and lines.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Few i have watched this week. Both really good.

The next three days
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1458175/
Guess they couldn't afford Liam Neeson for very long!
8/10

The Mechanic
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472399/
Not as good as Transporter films, but decent storyline. Even if a bit predictable!
7/10

hairich

• obsessive maniac
i watched the original swedish girl with the dragon tattoo last night.bloody great film.although the rape scene is not for the faint hearted

Dr T

• forum hero
So far the evening viewing in Font has included

Legion - a well acted angels vs, well you'd expect demons but... sort of thing. Won't be to everyones taste, definitely not high brow cinima but enjoyable supernatural action hi-jinx

Ponyo - beautifully animated and at times quite touching fair from Studio Ghibli. Felt the story was wrapped up in a bit of a hurry at the end but other than than lovely.

Whip it - Roller Derby coming of age drama with "Juno's" Ellen Paige (how long will she still be Juno's Ellen Paige I wonder...). I'm a sucker for the well executed, touching family/coming of age type drama so I wasn't suprised that I loved it - not as sacrine as it could have been which was good.

A side point - all three were rented very cheaply from the village library, if we hadn't been taking Jr T to get books regularly I wouldn't have thought of getting DVD's there - suprisingly they have a very good and up to date selection...

Dr T

• forum hero
and of course we've watched Cars a number of times with Jr T whilst waiting for the rain to go away...  ;D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
i watched the original swedish girl with the dragon tattoo last night.bloody great film.although the rape scene is not for the faint hearted
I thought all 3 films were pretty good - better than the books imo. Agree on watching the Swedish versions, don't go for the overdubbed English. Can't see how the upcoming Hollywood remakes are going to be as good.

Anyway, just went to see Animal Kingdom tonight - gritty, dark and gripping - excellent!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Watched Skeletons at the weekend, weird but good.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Watched 'Pulling John' the other night. A documentary about arm wrestling and the legendary John Brzenk. Good on several levels, I particularly enjoyed comparing the humility of the two main challengers to the Brzenk thrown.
watched this myself last night.
top film, really enjoyed it. well worth watching

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
The Adjustment Bureau

Great, really enjoyable, good balance of being nice and watchable and intriguing too. Some speechs made me smile too. Ending was weak and soppy though and the concept doesn't bear to deeper scrutiny.

Elise was very good and I utterly adored her in the early scenes  :wub:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Are you sure?

I am going to assume that his next film will begin with forty pounds of dog feces being dropped directly onto the head of an innocent person eating Sno-Caps.

Got me checking show times at the multiplex.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal