UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139426 times)

apharri

The Edukators is well worth a watch. Never heard of it until the mrs reccommended it. Anti Capitalist German film.. A wee bit cheesey but pretty sweet  ;)

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
I know I'm a few pages late with this but I've just tried to watch Inception. Lasted thirty minutes before giving up and letting the wife put Downton Abbry back on. Just dull silliness as far as I could tell. I think this maybe goes against the tide of opinion but hey-ho.
Part of the problem may be DiCaprio who also featured in Shutter Island which I should have walked out of but didn't so I've over-compensated by not giving this offering a fair hearing.

There's a book called 'Only Forward' by Micheal Marshall Smith which is similar to the concept of Inception. Worth checking out if you're into that type of thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Forward-Michael-Marshall-Smith/dp/0006512666

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Don't try and disguise your love by spelling his name wrong Chris. I've seen your Failure to Launch 2 disc special edition.

I did spell it right? Google to check it and everything.

And F2L2 (as we fans and facebook friends of him call it) Is not a patch on the original. :)

Definitely getting the extended version of this though, ticks all the boxes for me

Eddies

• forum hero
I watched 127 hours last night. Didnt realise it was a Danny Boyle film until it started. I highly recommend it, I really enjoyed it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Have you actually looked at the previous page?

tomtom

• forum hero

Chill dude, remember: "love and waves, thats what we need in these dark days"

psychomansam

• forum hero
I saw 'A Prophet' a French film, directed by Jacques Audiard. Very gritty, edge of the seat stuff, a reet good film. Prison life, mafia shennanigans, drugs, revenge, sex and brilliant acting. It has the lot.

+1

this one has stayed with me

SA Chris

• forum hero

Chill dude, remember: "love and waves, thats what we need in these dark days"

I shudder to think how bad that film can be.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Has anyone seen 127 hours yet? I hear the bloke it's about is supposed to be a bit of a dick.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Is that the one directed  by Banny Doyle or something?

Eddies

• forum hero
Has anyone seen 127 hours yet? I hear the bloke it's about is supposed to be a bit of a dick.

Yeh he is a bit of a dick, thats the whole point of the film really. He learns a valuable lesson!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

cofe

• forum hero
Digested film reviews of films wot i has watched in the last week or so:

Shutter Island: Shit
The Kingdom: Not unwatchable. Still find it distracting that Scouse looks like Jamie Foxx.
Defiance: Amazing story, not a great fillum.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Animal Kingdom

Some Melbourne gangsters (with a scary Barbara Windsor type mum) get into an escalating contretemps with the police. Various incidents of gun crime, murder and blockies ensue. Entirely unexpected ending (assuming you don't check it on Wikipedia).

Based on various true stories.

Yossarian rating - 8/10

tomtom

• forum hero
The Kings Speech

Great film - went to see this with MrsTT last night and wasnt really looking forward to it  - but its superb. Its no costume drama, more about the friendship that develops between the King (to be) and his speech therapist - played by Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush respectively. Despite all the Colin Firth hype surrounding this film Rush stole the show for me - the way the two characters interacted and bounced off each other was superb. Its a funny film too in places - beautifully made. The story is hung around the period of Edward abdigating and running off with another woman, and the beginning of WW2 and this running historical interest keeps it all running along nicely. The plot line for the Kings Speech is (for me) not inspiring on paper, but how the characters work together is superb. Well reccommended.

cofe

• forum hero
Watched Inception on Friday. Wow etc.

Dr T

• forum hero
Saw Sonatine last night.
I'm a big fan of Beat Takeshi's gangster films, slow, understated, unglamourised and touchingly hilarious in places.
Nihalistic in places too like his other but if you have the patience a fantastic film
If you like Sonatine then Hana-Bi is equally great in a similar  vein.

On the same note if you like your gangster movies a bit faster paced and obvious (i.e. American) his cross-over film Brother is also very good in a quite different way....

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
The Kings Speech

Great film - went to see this with MrsTT last night and wasnt really looking forward to it  - but its superb. Its no costume drama, more about the friendship that develops between the King (to be) and his speech therapist - played by Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush respectively. Despite all the Colin Firth hype surrounding this film Rush stole the show for me - the way the two characters interacted and bounced off each other was superb. Its a funny film too in places - beautifully made. The story is hung around the period of Edward abdigating and running off with another woman, and the beginning of WW2 and this running historical interest keeps it all running along nicely. The plot line for the Kings Speech is (for me) not inspiring on paper, but how the characters work together is superb. Well reccommended.

Definitely one for your "must see" list.

I though the stand-out performance was Guy Pearce as David, The Prince of Wales/Duke of Wndsor, closely followed by Michael Gambon as George V. (Would have liked Eve Best's Wallis Simpson to have been fleshed out a little more, too)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Would have liked Eve Best's Wallis Simpson to have been fleshed out a little more, too

What, you wanted to see her tits?

tomtom

• forum hero
Would have liked Eve Best's Wallis Simpson to have been fleshed out a little more, too

What, you wanted to see her tits?

Yeah, why not, she was a bit slutty in the film  :)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Watched The Profit last night after it being mentioned on here, great film, really enjoyed it.

Then watched True Grit this afternoon which was also really good, totally not my kind of film, I wouldn't have chosen to watch it myself but I'm glad I was persuaded, the characters are brilliant and the wee girl who plays the lead in it is fantastic.  Well worth a watch.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I'm assuming this is a remake of the John Wayne version? Be hard to beat the original.

andy popp

• forum hero
Coen brother. The advance word has been very positive.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

Mark Kermode SATC2 review. Easy target but still very good...

Simon Mayo: "You said you weren't going to rant....but that was 10 minutes ago!!"

tomtom

• forum hero
Where did satc2 come from??? This is a thread about good films!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal