UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139475 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
the film helped clarify quite a few things.

IIRC the film was a vastly simplified version of the GN. Although I think there is an extended cut on DVD which may follow the original story a bit more closely, and includes The whole Tales of the Black Freighter bit.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
With regards to film versus book for 127 hours, nobody who sees the film is going to agree with the book readers about what a cock he was, I've already had heated discussions about it. 

countotto, you spoke my brains, I felt exactly the same.  The film shows very little back story so you don't realise that this isn't a one off incident and his bad attitude is definitely played down.  I wasn't going to watch the film but was persuaded in the end and it didn't fill me with the vicious rage which the book did.  :lol:

Several people have said that the book came out too fast, before he properly had time to take stock and realise what a douche he'd really been before and immediately after the accident, and that now he's much more humble and nicer for it and that's what the film shows, who knows what the truth is.  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
the film helped clarify quite a few things.

IIRC the film was a vastly simplified version of the GN. Although I think there is an extended cut on DVD which may follow the original story a bit more closely, and includes The whole Tales of the Black Freighter bit.

I probably need to read the book/GN again (and whilst sober :pissed:)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Several people have said that the book came out too fast, before he properly had time to take stock and realise what a douche he'd really been before and immediately after the accident, and that now he's much more humble and nicer for it and that's what the film shows, who knows what the truth is.  :shrug:

Or he and the film's producers realised that nobody would go to see it unless they toned down what a bell end he actually was?
 :greed: :greed: :greed:  ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Sadly, that's probably closer to the truth.  ;D

apharri

Someone may well have mentioned this before but nay mind. Watched Four Lions last night and its a great watch. Gets you warming up to some very cold characters and laughing at stuff which is obviously not funny in the slightest. If you haven't seen it and dont mind your comedy very dark indeed then I highly reccommend  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero

Or he and the film's producers realised that nobody would go to see it unless they toned down what a bell end he actually was?

I would like to think Danny Boyle refused to make a film about an utter cock so employed some artistic license. But that's probably rose tinted specs because he seems like such a nice bloke.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Someone may well have mentioned this before but nay mind. Watched Four Lions last night and its a great watch. Gets you warming up to some very cold characters and laughing at stuff which is obviously not funny in the slightest. If you haven't seen it and dont mind your comedy very dark indeed then I highly reccommend  ;)

Rubber dinghy rapids brother Omar!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I loved Four Lions, it was properly hilarious.

apharri

Rubber dinghy rapids brother Omar!

We'll blow up the internet for brother Fezil

Charles

• addict

I would like to think Danny Boyle refused to make a film about an utter cock so employed some artistic license. But that's probably rose tinted specs because he seems like such a nice bloke.

Apparently when Danny Boyle met him he didn't like him.

Can't quote a source as one of my friends provided this harsh truth.

nik at work

• forum hero
I know I'm a few pages late with this but I've just tried to watch Inception. Lasted thirty minutes before giving up and letting the wife put Downton Abbry back on. Just dull silliness as far as I could tell. I think this maybe goes against the tide of opinion but hey-ho.
Part of the problem may be DiCaprio who also featured in Shutter Island which I should have walked out of but didn't so I've over-compensated by not giving this offering a fair hearing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Refusing to watch anything involving ladyboy de Caprio is probably a good maxim to live your life by.

andy popp

• forum hero
Just dull silliness as far as I could tell. I think this maybe goes against the tide of opinion but hey-ho.

I thought it was stupid rubbish too.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Our lass half read the Ralston book before proclaiming him a cock and didn't finish the rest and she's a really nice person who see's the best in everyone....including me thank God.

Leonardo has done some good films and but does suffer from having a face and body of a boy which makes him unrealistic playing a man and you generally just want to smash his face in.

Eddies

• forum hero
Refusing to watch anything involving ladyboy de Caprio is probably a good maxim to live your life by.

Basketball diaries is a mint film.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I thought TRON was an immersive and brilliant cinematic experience especially as someone who's a fan of the first film well the worth the money to go and see

The Tron Dude Abides

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Basketball diaries is a mint film.

:agree: was going to post as much earlier. He's also quite good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

SA Chris

• forum hero
No doubt there are one or two exceptions, but given a choice of watching all of his films in the hope of finding a good one vs avoiding them completely, I think I would be breaking out the longer of my bargepoles. For all I know there might even be a good Michael McConaughey film out there, but I'm not going to take the time to find out.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Watched Gomorra last night. Really really good.

The "story" is very haphazard and fragmented but that's sort of the point. It isn't really a story, more a snapshot of how the Camorra's grip on the lower levels of society affects ordinary people. Harsh and grim throughout it manages to not be too depressing as the inevitability of the downfall of most of the characters is apparent from the start. You don't have any expectations for any of them but the film still manages to keep a strong feeling of tension going as you never know when or to whom the next bad event will occur out of nowhere.

Made me interested to read up on the area and the history of the Scampia feud. My Mrs spent some time living in Napoli and never realised that there were areas like that in the city. Understandable as you wouldn't visit by choice....

Jas read the book its fucking mint.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Also two films I've seen relatively recently I really enjoyed: Of Gods and Men based on a true story and about a monastery in Algeria and the decision the monks make to stay in the face of  of an increasingly dangerous fundamentalist insurgency and brutal government retaliation. Slow but powerful.
And I am Love that you will either find boring over filmed understoried tosh of lush.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I also watched Black Swan recently, it's well weird.  I can't decide if I liked it or not, I think it was pretty well done but it goes cock out crazy by the end and is all a bit odd.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
No doubt there are one or two exceptions, but given a choice of watching all of his films in the hope of finding a good one vs avoiding them completely, I think I would be breaking out the longer of my bargepoles. For all I know there might even be a good Michael McConaughey film out there, but I'm not going to take the time to find out.

Don't try and disguise your love by spelling his name wrong Chris. I've seen your Failure to Launch 2 disc special edition. 

JamesR

• regular
I saw 'A Prophet' a French film, directed by Jacques Audiard. Very gritty, edge of the seat stuff, a reet good film. Prison life, mafia shennanigans, drugs, revenge, sex and brilliant acting. It has the lot. On topic, another well cool French film..... District 13. A very entertaining film with some amazing Parkour/Free Running stunts.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
District 13 is great, they brought out a second one which wasn't up to much and did a version in English which was rotten, the original is good though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal