UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139631 times)

bigd942

• addict
Beneath Hill 60 - true story of the mines/explosives laid under the german front line, good story and well told.

The Entity - early 80's paranormal, quite enjoyed this.

The Iron Giant - saw this over crimbo again, great movie.

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw Invictus the other night. I thought I'd hate it as 1. Its got Matt ferking Damon in it and 2. Its centred about Rugby which I have little/no interest in. But thought it was really good - (bit flat in the middle but otherwise great).

By mistake Bollockbusters put some film called Greenfields or Greenedge or Greensmegma or something in one of the boxes instead of the film we wanted. its a film based around Ben Stiller being a character who's recovering from a breakdown and then visits his brothers house while he's away and tries to bang his Aupair.. Sounds great huh! Utter shite. Well the first 30 min was then it was switched orf.. Shitty stick touch wouldnt with.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero
Thats the badger - 'Greenberg' a right load of pony. I mean, ffs, there wasnt even a car chase! what kind of film is that eh! And I kept thinking Zoolander (which I quite like) every time I saw Ben Stiller...

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Anybody seen "Black Death" with Sheffields finest Napoleonic rifleman? Its beckoning to me every time I go in there.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Splice: good. More subtle and sentimental than your average monster flick.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
At risk of being considered a bit and about 2 years too late... I watched Juno the other day - what an ace film...

Three years late we finally watched Juno last night.

For a film to A: Hold my wife's interest for it's entirety B: Make her cry and C: Have her say "What a BRILLIANT film." afterwards it must be pretty good.

If anyone still hasn't seen it then do so.

(I didn't cry..... no no not me..... honest.....)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
We watched it while the missus was very pregnant and emotional. I was worried she would need a saline drip after all the blubbing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Saw Invictus the other night. I thought I'd hate it as 1. Its got Matt ferking Damon in it and 2. Its centred about Rugby which I have little/no interest in. But thought it was really good - (bit flat in the middle but otherwise great).

MATT DAMON!!

I was there when it happened. Needless to say I was very very drunk.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
127 Hours. Worth a watch if you fancy the cinema but definitely not one I'll be rushing to get on DVD.

tomtom

• forum hero
127 Hours. Worth a watch if you fancy the cinema but definitely not one I'll be rushing to get on DVD.

Why? I'm genuinely interested to hear a climbers viewpoint on the film.. whats it like compared to other 'climbing' horror epics like Touching the Void?

I heard the cutting scene is especially gruesome and as a pussy someone who has to hide the screen when casualty is operating on someone I'm not in a great rush to see it!

Dr T

• forum hero

If anyone still hasn't seen it then do so.

:agree:

lent it to my old man over Christmas and he thought it was ace too...

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
I actually bought juno and I've seen it about 6 or so times and I still think it's a corker. I am a sad bastard though.

Oh, and it's ok. Ellen Page was 20 when they filmed, so it's cool to have THOSE thoughts. Or so I'm told. By myself.

psychomansam

• forum hero
4OD documentaries are a very good way to fill an evening

This is outstanding documentary film-making:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dancing-with-the-devil
 :'(

p.s. at 100 mins, this is def a film and it's not even iplayer so this is the right thread.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

Why? I'm genuinely interested to hear a climbers viewpoint on the film.. whats it like compared to other 'climbing' horror epics like Touching the Void?

I heard the cutting scene is especially gruesome and as a pussy someone who has to hide the screen when casualty is operating on someone I'm not in a great rush to see it!

I might have been a little harsh in hindsight. I was glad that I watched it and it held my attention throughout (although perhaps 10 minutes shorter would have been better) but I can't say I particularly "enjoyed" watching it due to the obviously grim nature of the story. The gory bits weren't mindblowingly bad but during the main bulk of them I was grimacing with hands over face (peeking through fingers). They didn't last very long though.

In terms of watching it as a climber it was a lot better than the likes of Vertical Limit. There wasn't really any of this XTREME bullshit with people doing running jumps across ravines and catching the other side with their axes. The protagonist is depicted as being a bit of a self proclaimed "adrenalin junkie" type and in his own words a "big fucking hero" but this is somewhat important to show the contrast between that image and the reality of being stuck in a hole, screaming for help and drinking stale piss for about 5 days.

remus

• forum hero
Quite enjoyed 127 hours myself, though i went in with fairly low expectations. I was impressed at how it managed to stay engaging despite knowing whats going to happen.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I liked 127 hours, mainly cause I managed to watch the whole thing and not hate the guy's guts.  I read the book a while back and by the time he was hacking his arm off in that I was desperate for him to get septicemia or bleed out, he came across as a total wank.  In the film however he seemed less vile and I loved the way they did the scenes of the amputation, it was very well done, you could really feel bits of it.  It's a very well done film, I was impressed.

Also watched Into the Wild this weekend which was awesome, I really enjoyed it although I'm not sure why.  It was pretty long and I think it's the sort of film that you have to get quite involved in so that you enjoy it fully, it was a cool story though and well translated into film.

Inside Man is also worth a watch, I think it's been out for a while but it's a pretty cool take on the usual bank job film.

countotto

#1517 127 hours
January 10, 2011, 10:18:28 am

I might have been a little harsh in hindsight. I was glad that I watched it and it held my attention throughout (although perhaps 10 minutes shorter would have been better) but I can't say I particularly "enjoyed" watching it due to the obviously grim nature of the story. The gory bits weren't mindblowingly bad but during the main bulk of them I was grimacing with hands over face (peeking through fingers). They didn't last very long though.

In terms of watching it as a climber it was a lot better than the likes of Vertical Limit. There wasn't really any of this XTREME bullshit with people doing running jumps across ravines and catching the other side with their axes. The protagonist is depicted as being a bit of a self proclaimed "adrenalin junkie" type and in his own words a "big fucking hero" but this is somewhat important to show the contrast between that image and the reality of being stuck in a hole, screaming for help and drinking stale piss for about 5 days.

Hmmm,...

Read the book a few years ago and thought, well if ever an accident was waiting to happen, then this was it. The guy was lucky he returned from any number of previous adventures, adventures in which he wilfully ignored others advice and planned trips that were way beyond his abilities and experience because he thought he was so much better than he was!

Also, I felt rather sickened by the obsessive way in which this guy, without any real self-awareness, was after ‘fame and fortune’ through Outdoor Pursuits/rambling, and only managed in the end to get it through rescuing himself from a situation that he would never have been in, had he not been so narcissististic, and chopping his lower arm off. A media-whore through and through. Why don't you try cutting your whole head off next time and then maybe someone'll give you a fucking purple heart.

Although the film sounds like it might be better than the book, maybe someone's had a word on the production side of things- said- oi Aaron- you're a cock! Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it! ;-)

Love and Peace!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:24:08 am by countotto »

countotto

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Between-Rock-Hard-Place-Ralston/dp/0743495802/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294655182&sr=1-1#reader_0743495802)

BTW, I believe Mr Ralston is planning to try out his prosthesis on some of the UK's premier gritstone crack lines. Suggestions anyone ;-)

SA Chris

• forum hero
I think the guy is a total douchebag (to quote his countrymen) and I'm going to avoid seeing it, as any income means more publcity and more cash for him.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Gomorra last night. Really really good.

The "story" is very haphazard and fragmented but that's sort of the point. It isn't really a story, more a snapshot of how the Camorra's grip on the lower levels of society affects ordinary people. Harsh and grim throughout it manages to not be too depressing as the inevitability of the downfall of most of the characters is apparent from the start. You don't have any expectations for any of them but the film still manages to keep a strong feeling of tension going as you never know when or to whom the next bad event will occur out of nowhere.

Made me interested to read up on the area and the history of the Scampia feud. My Mrs spent some time living in Napoli and never realised that there were areas like that in the city. Understandable as you wouldn't visit by choice....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I think the guy is a total douchebag (to quote his countrymen) and I'm going to avoid seeing it, as any income means more publcity and more cash for him.

:agree:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Read Ralston's book and thought he came across as a bit of a cock in that so not bothered about going and watching the film, despite good comments.

Watched Watchmen over xmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Had previously read the comic book once and didn't really get what was going on (should probably have read it again, but had given it back to my mate and never got round to it), the film helped clarify quite a few things.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Watchmen was cool. Entertaining, stylishly done and pretty original as comic book stuff goes. I found Dr Manhattan really intriguing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watchmen was cool. Entertaining, stylishly done and pretty original as comic book stuff goes. I found Dr Manhattan really intriguing.

Was that 'cause of his knob?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal