UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139462 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
the vitamin c side effects list was my favourite part of that.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Teeth.

Dull and disappointing.

low budget though

not a patch on zombie strippers, eh?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Danny Boyle directs a film about Aaron Ralston's mishap

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/

The good vs the terrible wonder where it will end up?

Paul B

• forum hero
Watched 500 days of summer last night. I can't believe it gets 8/10 on IMDB. Ok, so there are some comic lines delivered in a very dry manner but thats about it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I thought it was quite good, never heard anything about it until I saw it, so maybe didn't expect that much.

Paul B

• forum hero
I thought it was quite good, never heard anything about it until I saw it, so maybe didn't expect that much.

The opposite here, it was given to us by her brother and I dutifully checked the reviews (the right of veto earned by suffering SATC2). Out of the two he'd given us, that and Watchment it scored higher. 8/10 is a high ranking to get on that site as well so I was expecting something more profound or entertaining. Maybe I'm just stupid as miss the point in most films?

erm, sam

• forum hero
bigger faster stronger is thought provoking funny and insightful well worth a watch especially as it will only cost you time being free on youtube

Thanks for that, just watched the first 2 and it looks good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
scored higher

I can see the error of your ways right there.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's often a problem when something is recommended by everyone, your expectations become so high that the film is always going to struggle to live up to them.

I thought this might be the case with Kick Ass when I finally got round to watching it on Saturday night but it wasn't. I thought it was brilliant.

tomtom

• forum hero
At risk of being considered a bit and about 2 years too late... I watched Juno the other day - what an ace film...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I generally only see things two or three years after they've come out if at all. Once you have kids going to the cinema seems like a waste of a babysitting favour.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Too true, when going out on the piss is a lot more fun!

tomtom

• forum hero
Long haul flights are normally where I catch up on the last few months viewings...

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Just been given the heebie-geebies watching Case 39. Beautifully directed to create a suprise of a thriller-horror. Film of the year (even if it was released 2009), despite starring Renee Zellweger.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
At risk of being considered a bit and about 2 years too late... I watched Juno the other day - what an ace film...

It is really good!

Dr T

• forum hero
Watched ninja assassin last night
not a good film in terms of plot
but if you like mindless violence....

Paul B

• forum hero
Social Network? Saw it advertised on telly recently, so can't be far off.

I managed to persuade my better half to down the DIY and go to see this on Fri night. We both thoroughly enjoyed it although I have no background knowledge of the story and can't comment on its accuracy; as entertainment it was good. The ending was somehwhat abrubt and it all gets a little intense at the Henley rowing scene compared to the rest of it.

An added bonus was having the pick of seats in a desserted showing, sitting in a priority leather chair you haven't paid for certainly improved things.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Watched 'The Other Guys' yesterday with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. Well funny but not necessarily in a laugh out loud way. The scene where Terry meets Allen's wife is brilliant.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I didn't even finish watching Cloverfield and I like watching crap sci-fi
dire at most levels

I sat through thisd the other day when I was ill at home. Not sure why I got drawn in, but found it mildly entertaining.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I saw Social Network at the weekend too, I agree with Paul, it was pretty good, better than I was expecting it to be.

Also watched Unthinkable with Samuel L Jackson, it was good, definitely worth a watch and a bit different from a lot of terrorist type movies, pretty dark in places.

Davey_C

• regular
I actually saw this a while back but thought I would recommend as it hasn't been mentioned yet....The King of Kong.

It's a documentary about the top two Donkey Kong players in the world, in the lead up to a head-to-head world record attempt. The premise doesn't sound great but it's a really absorbing documentary. Highly recommended!

psychomansam

• forum hero
absolutely brillian doc.  Proves just how great a doc can be no matter what the subject matter. And if you like Kong its the best doc about.

you should check out "wordplay" for yet more crazy americans.

Duma

• forum hero
Winter's Bone - just seen it at the Showroom - very dark; recommended.

You read the book bubba? Had forgotten all about reading this years ago until I saw your post - didn't realise they'd made a film. Thought the book was amazing though - look it up (not a light read, but then I'd imagine thats obvious from the film). His other stuff is good too

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Killer Inside Me.. A compelling but not particularly enjoyable depiction of a sadistic, misogynistic small town sherriff in over his head. Casey Affleck is brilliant and the film is compelling but it's not one to watch for some light relief.  Jim Thompson (no relation to his namesake off here) who wrote the novel in the 50's is cut from the same nihilistic cloth as Hubert Selby Jr.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Heads up - 'In Bruges', previously highly recommended by several on here...Sat night, Film4, 9pm. Set your DVRs people.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal