UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139403 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
have just done a weekend jaunt back to the UK so notched up a fair few hours film watching on the flights either way:
Kick Ass - simply superb...
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - pretty good, worth watching
Alice in Wonderland - Better than I expected it to be
The Joneses - had never even heard of this one but it turned out to be half decent
Star Trek - about the 4th or 5th time i've watched it on a flight as nothing else captured my imagination - still quality

referring back to some earlier reviews, i thought Book of Eli and Daybreakers were both pretty mediocre and nothing too special

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
This may have been done before but....

Cloverfield  despite a high rating series of reviews on the usually moderately reliable rotten tomatoes, i though it was massively unsatisfying, not very scary and the novel use of the shaky first person camera for the monster / disaster movie genre didn't really work. Perhaps it's one of those movies that only really works on a big screen?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I didn't even finish watching Cloverfield and I like watching crap sci-fi

dire at most levels

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Someone recommended that I put 'In the Valley of Elah' on my lovefilm list...thanks if if was someone here...Awesome film. Tommy Lee Jones is a great actor, he's been in some shite movies but give him a good script and director and he's amazing.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Winter's Bone - just seen it at the Showroom - very dark; recommended.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
go see scott pilgrim its well good i tell thee

Paul B

• forum hero
Went to see the Town last night, and I'm not sure what to make of it.
Starts well, slows down then catches up with some good action scenes (car chases a bit reminiscent of Ronin) but there is a hell of a lot more human interest than I was expecting. I was expecting my better half to hate it but it seemed to keep her attention. Not quite sure its worth the 8.2/10 given by IMDB.

Paul B

• forum hero
Forgot to say: Quite looking forward to Mr.Nice as I enjoyed the book (it seemed to be the only in the Ceuse campsite!). Lets see if they do it justice?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Not new but good, le diner des con, please avoid dinner for cunts.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Forgot to say: Quite looking forward to Mr.Nice as I enjoyed the book (it seemed to be the only in the Ceuse campsite!). Lets see if they do it justice?

The Howard Marks book? Can not imagine that it is going to be the most exciting thing in the world as the book featured not very subtle undertones of "Me me me".

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

The Howard Marks book? Can not imagine that it is going to be the most exciting thing in the world as the book featured not very subtle undertones of "Me me me".

Trailer...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Watched Harry Brown t'other night.
Me and Mrs Jim really enjoyed it, definately worth a watch IMHO.
Word

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Can't wait to see this http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2010/06/jackboots_on_whitehall_trailer.html
"I'm really hopeful for Jackboots on Whitehall, which gives me the feeling of Team America: World Police but with British humour and the interesting set-up that the Nazi's invaded and took over England, and Churchill is hiding out and launching his counter offensive."

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
It's only just out in the US so I don't think we'll get it in the UK for a wee while yet.  Not heard much about it, good or bad, so far.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Social Network? Saw it advertised on telly recently, so can't be far off.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Isn't that the point of a biography?  To talk about yourself and your life?  :shrug:

(I guess some may come across as smug gits, whilst others are more humble).

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I'm agreeing with paul b on THE TOWN its good but its just not HEAT which has both al pacino and robert deniro, and you could buy it on dvd for less than the price of going to see THE TOWN in the cinema.

Paul B

• forum hero
thats a good point, I rented Heat from Blockbuster and couldn't watch it due to the copy being f*cked. Time I rectify that.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Isn't that the point of a biography?  To talk about yourself and your life?  :shrug:

(I guess some may come across as smug gits, whilst others are more humble).

Yes the point of a biography is to write about oneself but as you point out there are many ways to do so. It has been a while since I read the book but I remember it being pretty awful fare with Howard Marks portraying himself as some sort of martyr and by smuggling weed he was somehow taking it to the man and righting the awful injustice that weed is not legally available in this country.

Dr T

• forum hero
Finally saw The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus on the weekend.

Well I love Terry Gilliam's films anyways and this was up there with the best of them  :great:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Teeth.

Promising premise that had the potential to be weird, darkly humourous, and totally fucked up, but it just didn't capitalise on it. Because the premise is such a one trick pony, it needed a lot more atmosphere and clever set-ups to keep it gripping and freaking, but it didn't have that (apart from the brother's flashback maybe).

Dull and disappointing.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Is that the one where there are teeth in the ladies... well, you know where I mean.  ;D

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
CLUNGE??

(yes)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
bigger faster stronger is thought provoking funny and insightful well worth a watch especially as it will only cost you time being free on youtube

i thought i was getting some quality gay pr0n but every cloud ...........

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal