UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139423 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Just saw the new(ish) star trek and was v impressed for a star trek film. The gf likes it too.

As an aside, I'm assuming you all know imdb.com is great for populist reviews and finding out who played what when in what etc...

But if you want some really great professional (albeit artsy) reviews, check out http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/ -- or better still subscribe to the mag, it's beautiful, interesting and makes really good coffee table material. Or even better, subscribe a friend as a present and then go nick it.

:whistle:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Finally watched Constantine on Saturday night. Rather tricky to follow at times but I really enjoyed it. Keanu can't act for shit but it doesn't matter in this. Hope rumours of a sequel are true.

Charles

• addict
Probably been mentioned before but Volver by Pedro Almodóvar is really good.  Gentler and less in-your-face than the other admittedly few Almodóvar films I've seen, Volver is a heartwarming story of two sisters, a daughter and mother circling each other getting to grips with big unresolved family secrets. It's funny, thought provoking, beautifully shot and Penelope Cruz is really good (and really fit).

8.5/10

Broken Embraces (latest from Almodovar) was really good as well, more in the vogue of Volver. I watched Matador shortly after and it does seem he's tamed somewhat over the years.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
butn after reading: turned it off after about 40 mins, like the actors, like the directors, the actual film was tedium incomparable

We did the same thing. 

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Another vote here for District 9
great film

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
butn after reading: turned it off after about 40 mins, like the actors, like the directors, the actual film was tedium incomparable

Unusually for the Coen brothers, the plot's weak, weak, weak.  Therefore all the mugging and overacting just looks a bit desperate.  A real shame.......

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Thought District 9 poor Sci Fi, whatever message re: race they tried to convey felt crass and, no pun intended, skin deep.

Glad I leeched it & didn't go to the flix for this one.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Hmmmpphhhh. Another vote for Jim here!

tomtom

• forum hero

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Went to see Micmacs tonight. Absolutely loved it. Very classically Jean-Pierre Jeunet, being filled with quirky humour, and beautifully ornate visuals. A somewhat serious start, and it's continued throughout the film, but not oppressively.

Dr T

• forum hero
now I know I'm a big softy but Stardust is on right now and it's my all time "family" film  :-[

nik at work

• forum hero
Watched In Bruges last night. Which, in agreement with others here, I thought was splendid...

...until the very end when it became a bit contrived. I liked the apparent randomness throughout the film and the ending tied up all the various story elements into one tidy bundle whereas a couple of loose strands would have been more befitting IMHO. But as hardly anyone seems to agree with me on this thread feel free to ignore me. Anyway I still think it was excellent overall, 8/10.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Went to see Crazy Heart tonight with the 'rents. (Mother's day n all that :-[ )

Brilliant performance from Jeff Bridges and also Maggie Gyllenhall. Story is nothing new, but the acting made this film a cut above.

About an hour in I thought "mmm, I don't like country and I hope this film goes somewhere soon" but fear not, it all builds towards the end.

Very good, 9/10.  :thumbsup:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Mesmer 1994.  Written by Dennis Potter.

5.6/10 seems fair, as it's probably too eccentric for some.  Ties in w/ my scale, which is tough.  Rickman is great, 1st lead role IIRC.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Very good, 9/10. 

Sort yr grading out, Fultonius.  Very good is not 9/10.  10/10 is perfection and unattainable, so one should never offer a 10.  9/10 is therefore stunning. That's not very good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
...until the very end when it became a bit contrived. I liked the apparent randomness throughout the film and the ending tied up all the various story elements into one tidy bundle whereas a couple of loose strands would have been more befitting IMHO

No, I agree the ending was contrived and a bit daft, but thought the rest of the film more than made up for it.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Very good, 9/10. 

Sort yr grading out, Fultonius.  Very good is not 9/10.  10/10 is perfection and unattainable, so one should never offer a 10.  9/10 is therefore stunning. That's not very good.

Appologies, I regrade at 7.5/10, due to the fact the film doesn't really cover any new ground.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
(awaiting overgrading backlash)  ::)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I always said it was piss and that Fultonius was just inflating the grade to keep his sponsors happy. Disgraceful.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
With the new searchable posting rules it should be easy for us to search back and regrade any other films that Fultonius has claimed.

I regrade at 7.5/10, due to the fact the film doesn't really cover any new ground.

Is 7.5/10 the most that can be claimed for an eliminate?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
I'm sorry, i just was going for the ego-tick!

Plattsy

• forum hero
Watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" last night. Excellent film. Really enjoyed it. Graphic, shocking, funny and a good old murder mystery who-dun-it. 9.8/10.

Stubbs

Forgot to post about Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I also really enjoyed it, and was glad I hadn't read the book as the story line was really interesting and quite unusual in some ways.  Well worth watching.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

cofe

• forum hero
Watched Let The Right One In last week on my lovefilm ting. Really good and beautifully shot. Loved it. Got Watchmen to watch tonight while babbysitting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal