UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139284 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Probably been mentioned before but Volver by Pedro Almodóvar is really good.  Gentler and less in-your-face than the other admittedly few Almodóvar films I've seen, Volver is a heartwarming story of two sisters, a daughter and mother circling each other getting to grips with big unresolved family secrets. It's funny, thought provoking, beautifully shot and Penelope Cruz is really good (and really fit).

8.5/10

psychomansam

• forum hero
Saw Un Prophet last Wednesday as planned.  Good film, interesting story, thought it dragged itself out a bit towards the end.

Indeed; pity, it felt like it could've been a masterpiece otherwise. Really good film.

The Road = Great film except i woke up sweating in the middle of the night afterwards, not even joking. Not a pleasant popcorn film by any stretch.

Precious = a good, feel better(if not feel-good?) film. Actually i think I'd  love this film if not for Oprah, the hype, and the fact that i can't stand watching fat people eating junk food. Worth a watch, and a good one to watch with all the family, except for the kids.

Invictus = really good film, but as with "a prophet" not a masterpiece. Maybe I'm harsher on this because of expectations, but i think the people involved and the story behind the film demands greatness. It barely achieved it.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Stuff I've seen recently

9 - ace
Nine - shite
Moon - lovely, quiet paced sci-fi
Legion - watched as far as the little old lady swearing and biting people and then had to attend to baby.
Crank: High Voltage - good, daft sequel to Crank with amusing swearing, fighting and sex. Have decided to model myself on Chev Chelios. Follows on from the first Crank, so worth watching that first (watch both in a row to get yourself fired up for sending big numbers)

robertostallioni

• forum hero
- of sleeping pills down you own neck.  :whistle:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
What are you on about Stallion?

I forgot to mention Teeth. Fucking weird teen movie about a bird with teeth in her vagina that bite fingers and cocks off. Different, but does involve sleeping pills at one point.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Sorry, I out-Transportered myself a while ago and the thought of watching both Cranks back to back gets my bile rising.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Ah, I get you now. I'm the same way about Julie Andrews after too much Mary Poppins and Sound of Music.

Bernard Jefferies

Stuff I've seen recently

9 - ace
Nine - shite
Moon - lovely, quiet paced sci-fi
Legion - watched as far as the little old lady swearing and biting people and then had to attend to baby.
Crank: High Voltage - good, daft sequel to Crank with amusing swearing, fighting and sex. Have decided to model myself on Chev Chelios. Follows on from the first Crank, so worth watching that first (watch both in a row to get yourself fired up for sending big numbers)

I watched Moon the other day too.  Not quite sure what to make of it to be honest.  I think the film is probably trying to address all sorts of issues.  Well filmed I thought for a low budget movie and Kevin Spacey is kinda creepy as the robot.

Also watched Burn After Reading (Coen brothers film).  As a fan of some of the Coen brothers films I was left a bit disappointed when it came to an end.  Almost seemed a bit unfinished.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
After enjoying Frostbitten last year I was moved to watch another Swedish vampire film Let The Right One In recently. Very good film, slightly marred by the use of crap actors for some of the English voice-overs. It did have a similar feel to Frostbitten (similar architecture and snowy streets in Sweden?). The film is based around the relationship between a human child and a vampire child - which is developed very well. By no means an action movie, the whole thing seems very believable. Nice

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Also watched Burn After Reading (Coen brothers film).  As a fan of some of the Coen brothers films I was left a bit disappointed when it came to an end.  Almost seemed a bit unfinished.

Yup. Felt the same.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Yup felt the same. Was.....vague.

nik at work

• forum hero
I on the other hand thought it was excellent.

However the ending of the Prestige was rubbish and spoiled the film for me.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Boo hisssss!

nik at work

• forum hero
I was expecting that. Don't get me wrong the rest of the film was excellent, but the end was silly as it changed the nature of the film from an interesting study of the obsessive nature of practitioners of the art of illusion to a sci-fi nonsense. If it was going to be sci-fi make believe it should have set out as such. It didn't, instead it provided insight into the ridiculous extremes people will go to in providing a "magic" experience. And then the final solution is some other worldy cloning flim-flam, a shame as it is otherwise splendid.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
However the ending of the Prestige was rubbish and spoiled the film for me.
I wasn't that blown away either, and I am most annoyed that I have ruined the book for myself, as it IS meant to be really good.

Also, I have just realised about the cloning, I thought they were twins when I watched it.  I am RUBBISH. :lol:  :-[

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
i think the key words here are fictional film.

nik at work

• forum hero
You're right Jim, it was a story. But for me it had a weak ending which didn't deliver what the rest of the film promised.

Magpie I think (if I remember correctly) that one of the magicians was simply a twin (the one missing a finger) but the main character was cloning himself. I might be remembering it incorrectly though, it was a while ago.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
No, let's stick with that version, Nik, that's what I thought too.  Machine for cloning, but set of twin magicians.  I feel better now, it too me long enough to get over the fact the whole film wasn't a CIA thriller like I expected, I don't need more confusion.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Where is the facepalm smiley?!

At least you knew what The Road was about  ;)

Nik and you are right, that is what happened.  I still thought it was great. And hey they cloned a kitty too!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
so you thought it would of ended better when he went to jail and the credits should of started rolling?
i thought it was excellent

nik at work

• forum hero
No, I just thought the film lent itself to a practical (but outrageously complex) explanation of how he was doing the trick rather than spending the whole film debunking the "magic" and then at the end the big reveal is magic (OK cloning isn't magic, but instant cloning with "crazy electricity science" is all a bit Accapi for me).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
i refer you back to my first comment on this film :smile:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
but not as good as L'ennemi public n°1 and L'instinct de mort. Two gangster films about the life of France's most notorious criminal Jacques Mesrine.
Apprécier  :thumbsup:

Agreed, very good. Preferred the first one out of the pair. Subtitles leave a bit to be desired!

a dense loner

• forum hero
butn after reading: turned it off after about 40 mins, like the actors, like the directors, the actual film was tedium incomparable

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
From Paris With Love. Tosh, but entertaining tosh!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal