UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139380 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Saw 9 at the cinema the other night. Great fun. Very inventive and different.

Do you have a time machine?  I thought Saw 6 was the latest offering  :P

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Saw 9 at the cinema the other night. Great fun. Very inventive and different.

Do you have a time machine?  I thought Saw 6 was the latest offering  :P

arf arf!

I've got an amusing anecdote on a saw related theme:

About 5/6 years ago I was telling a work colleague what I'd received for christmas and made the mistake of using the following phrase...

"My brother got me saw for Christmas."

Never lived it down.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
(Aliens is good during turbulence!)

Aliens is a brilliant film at anytime
Word to that. Although, watching in more recently, the marines' tactics are shockingly bad...

I wanted to see Coraline in the cinema  >:(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Although, watching in more recently, the marines' tactics are shockingly bad...

Your knowledge based on your experience from several tours of duty in outer space?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Based on common sense!! Watch it again and you'll see what I mean.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I'd love to want to.

So you reckon nuking the site from orbit wasn't a good idea?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
No, that was, but only after eradication of almost the entire squad! I forget which bits, but most of the initial recon is really shoddy.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Watched the prestige last week. Great film, well worth watching

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Watched the prestige last week. Great film, well worth watching

:agree:

Tis indeed a good film.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I STILL need to see that even tho it's been out for years. The book is very good, as is most of Christopher Priest's stuff (The Glamour probably being my favourite of his non-sci-fi stuff).

saintlade

• player
Went to see Fantastic Mr Fox the other day with the misses and thought it was definitely worth a watch. The stop start animation gave it a nice feel, there's some nice little chase scenes and plenty of funny moments.

Wasn't sure about George Clooney voicing Mr Fox, but thought overall it was a pretty fun film, definitely worth a watch in the cinema if only for the animation.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Went to see The Men Who Stare At Goats. Was worth a watch but the storyline lacked impetus and wasn't very deep. Still some funny moments though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
The stop start animation gave it a nice feel

Is it proper stop start, or just CGI created to look like stop start?

saintlade

• player
It's some seriously good shit if it's CGI, i'm a big fan fan of stop motion, love old stuff of Svankmajer's and Wallace and Gromit can't be bettered, the return to a shorter format for "a matter of loaf and death" was a good choice. Speaking of Wallace and Gromit, anyone have any knowledge of new material in the pipeline?

tomtom

• forum hero
Went to see 2012 last night....
Scientifically its about as credible as a creationist text book - but I thought it was a hoot. Its long (2 and half hours) but it completely engaged me nearly all the way through (the last 15 mins was a bit much..). Good action sequences, especially the bits with volcanic bombs, and the tempo kept up pretty much the whole way through.
As long as you leave a chunk of your 'hang on - thats scientifically impossible' brain at the door its a great film - just go with the flow!
T.

ps. the worrying thing is that some people seem to think it may be real! to the extent that NASA has had to release a press release saying dont be so fucking stupid etc..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

Your knowledge based on your experience from several tours of duty in outer space?
;D

tomtom

• forum hero

;D

Erm, having recently watched the film en-flight (as earlier post) I remember thinking why dont they just nuke the planet? Well they were about to, and called in the lander ship (or whatever) to pick them and the tank up - except one of the nasties climbed on board the lander ship and ate them all - causing it to crash (nearly) into them on the ground.. hence they are stranded until the android dude can remotely pilot in another lander ship etc... blah blah, splat, shoot, eat, munch, scream end of film..

SA Chris

• forum hero
You left out - Ripley kicks serious ass in that cool power lifting machinery, end of film.

tomtom

• forum hero
You left out - Ripley kicks serious ass in that cool power lifting machinery, end of film.

:guilty: THey also showed a 3-4min trailer for Avatar before the film (seemed to give away all of the plot but ho hum..) and that looked like it had the next step up in kick ass power lifting machinery..  8)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Reading all the blurb about Avatar, looks like it might be good, apart from two words that put me off a bit - one word is james, the other is cameron.

tomtom

• forum hero
Reading all the blurb about Avatar, looks like it might be good, apart from two words that put me off a bit - one word is james, the other is cameron.

The trailer looked mint.. I think you're being a bit harsh - Cameron's done some good stuff Terminator, The Abyss, Aliens.... his CV looks sooo much better if you forget True Lies and Titanic. Of course Titanic would have been a great film if it wasn't 3 1/2 hours long, didnt have Leo DC in it, had multiple rampant sex scenes featuring Kate Winslett and her CGI sister/twin and didn't involve a ship or iceberg..  :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
A mate of mine described the trailer for Avatar as "Pocahontas in space" and despite having never seen pocahontas I suspect that's about right. The graphics looked a lot more like a computer game than a depiction of "real" sci-fi stuff and the whole thing looked pretty schmaltzy.

Probably still see it though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Probably go see it too, and reserve further judgement on film and cameron until after that point.

And The Abyss was ruined by that fucking stupid ending btw. Never forgave him for that.

tomtom

• forum hero
And The Abyss was ruined by that fucking stupid ending btw. Never forgave him for that.

Directors cut (proper ending) much better (though longer..)

coolbeans

Finally saw Zombieland this week which truely rocked, but especially cos it opened with Metallicas For Whom The Bell Tolls.  That made me very happy. Woody Harrelson and Metallica in the same film, oh yes   :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal