UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139200 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watched Fish Tank last night.

Only go and watch it if you are very into bleak depressing urban dramas. Laughs were few and far between.

What a coincidence so did I.

Thought it was quite good, leads you in and you keep on thinking bad things are going to happen but they don't always.  Quite dark as you say.  Ends rather abruptly, but that fits well with the story.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
What a coincidence so did I.
[/quote]

Orange Wedesday? :)

I must admit I reached a point where I wasn't bpthered if something bad happened, as long as something happened! But I admit that type of thing is not normally my cup of tea.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Friend is on Orange, but not me, split the cost with student discount three ways.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Oh, I also saw the International. It's pretty shit.

I thought the International was a fine thriller, in the tradition of Three Days of the Condor and the Parallax View...

I saw Antichrist last night.  I was quite amazing and obviously fairly shocking.  Whether it's a masterpiece or not I'm not quite sure.  It's certainly something you won't forget in a hurry...

erm, sam

• forum hero
Bit off the pace, but thought I'd add my "District 9 is really good" two penneth. One of the few films I have seen in a long time where the characters stay in my mind afterwards. If you know what I mean..

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Another vote for District 9 being really good. Manages to have some intelligence, and cool guns and bugs.

Dorian is intermittently entertaining, probably 5 or 6 /10 material. Colin Firth does quite a good sleaze bag to embittered old man character progression.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Sofa surfing late at night and have recently caught a couple of films that kept me interested on Film4...

French action movie District 13 has some excellently choreographed fight sequences in, even if the storyline is a bit hollywood.

More interestingly Persopolis was very interesting and well animated.

Probably still doing the rounds of repeats on Film4.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just got back from seeing Terry Gilliam's new film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus which I found thoroughly enjoyable.  Quirky and a bit dark in places, its Gilliam doing what he does best.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Good call Slackers that looks like good fun. Also awaiting 9 and 2012, for quite different reasons.

On the subject of Anyone seen any kinda watchable but average films recently, I've had a TV of my own for the first time ever, and have watched Saw and SawII in recent nights. I thought these were supposed to be all radical and shocking and stuff. Meh.

And on the subject of Anyone seen the worst fucking thing ever in the history of film making, I had to watch Date Movie the other night as part of caring for a sick patient, and jesus fucking shit on a stick it is unimaginably, incomprehensibly and indescribably atrocious. I honestly didn't know it was possible to make films this bad and I am not at all happy that this film proved the depths of crass, pointless, and unutterably unamusing rubbish that films can sink to. There aren't enough negative numbers in the world to give this film a score, and everyone involved in it should have been ground down and turned into dog food - budget discount dog food at that.

andy popp

• forum hero
For anyone with children Up is every bit as good as the reviews say. Funny and moving.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Totoro is really brilliant for kids as well - been out on DVD for a while now.

Fiend - I see your Date Movie and raise you with the truly awful Meet the Spartans - similar premise I think in that it is a spoof - saw it at a mates house after watching the brilliant Amelie - chalk and cheese does not even come close.

As for the Saw movies - seem to have missed those and I really don't think I am missing anything - if anything your critique just serves to prove the point that little bit more.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Totoro is really brilliant *for kids* as well - been out on DVD for a while now.

Yeah right, you know you love it!
 :guilty:

rich d

• forum hero
So is district the new they live - aliens and social commentary. For worst films ever I see your date film and go all in - with revolver!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
See my reference to Donkey Punch earlier.

On the plus side, finally got round to watching Munich recently, and really enjoyed it. A bit long, but well paced and well acted and the attention to 70s detail is amazing. You just have to excuse Daniel Craig's pitiful attempt at a Sef Effrikan accent. But he doesn't say much anyway.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Religulous its a documentry on religion in the states. Hilarious.

cofe

• forum hero
For anyone with children Up is every bit as good as the reviews say. Funny and moving.

saw this in 3D yesterday. really enjoyed it - as andy says it's funny and quite moving. and we don't even have kids (yet...)

Dr T

• forum hero
Right - this will not be to everyone's taste but we sat down and watched Southland Tales (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405336/) the other night and really really loved it - weird, yes but you'd expect that from the guy that did Donnie Darko...
it's a strange near future epic - very much quoting Brazil (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/) which of course if you haven't seen you should...
some very good performances from some actors who quite often get a bad press - The Rock, Seann William Scott etc...
I thought it echo'd Apocolyse now too - which I love - the wife must have been into me as our second date was to see the redux version!!!
anyways if you like non-linear, future shock then give it an evening...

tomtom

• forum hero
After a return trip to Oz, my seen movies tally has been upped... some of these are old but hey...

Terminator 4 > I quite liked this - would not have been disappointed to have seen in the flicks

The Hangover > OK. I mean its probably worth a brainless view on dvd. seen plenty worse.

Ponjo > Japanese animation about a little fish that turns into a little girl. I was DRAGGED along to the deckchair cinema in Darwin to watch this - but thought it was fantastic. Magical, beautiful and captivating. If your kids are old enough to figure subtitles go watch it. (apparently the dubbed version is terrible)

Inglorious Basterds > Fucking sack of shit. Jew Killer character was good, and the boulder problem is far more interesting than Bradley.. Movie critic wankfest but shit.

The taking of Pelham 123 (2008) > Worse than the above. Not even bad enough to fall asleep to

The taking of Pelham 123 (*the original*) > fantastic. Brilliant Hesit/Hijack film. Why was this ever re-made

Transformers II (I think) > Jesus, I must have been on the final leg of a jet lagged economy class mentally derranged journey to watch ALL of this.

Transformers I > What was I on... were the sleeping pills making me trip. Better than above - but why do I remember that!

(Aliens is good during turbulence!)

T

Eddies

• forum hero
(Aliens is good during turbulence!)

Aliens is a brilliant film at anytime

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
watched monsters vs aliens t'other night. Good family entertainment. Me and the missus enjoyed it

Plattsy

• forum hero
Coraline. Probably mentioned before. Reet good stop animation. Wish I'd seen it at the cinema in 3D. Definately worth a watch with or without kids.

District 13 - Ultimatum. Mentioned already. Worth a watch. Love the parkour action and stunts and amused me quite a lot.

Drag me to Hell. According to the sleeve the scariest film of the decade. Well I chinny beard that. Coraline was scarier. Therefore this is shit. Avoid.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Coraline. Probably mentioned before. Reet good stop animation. Wish I'd seen it at the cinema in 3D. Definately worth a watch with or without kids.

Got this in Blu-Ray HD 3-D lots of bells and whistles Saturday myself.  Really liked it, amazingly good stop-motion, there was even detail of the hair swishing when the characters stopped moving, was very impressed  :bow:

Only downside was that it never really settled down on the 3-D front for me (flicked from green/red continually, but this is more likely to have been the angle I was sat at, or it could be an excuse to get a new LED TV!).

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Saw 9 at the cinema the other night. Great fun. Very inventive and different.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal