UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139545 times)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
i believe they do yes, perhaps all the more reason to give it a go at the cinema maybe they have at some point but i failed to notice

Plattsy

• forum hero
I was thinking about batman the other and after my ideas about the hulk having an 18 version came up with this idea.

If when a film company was filming something like that they could shoot extra material at a relatively low cost and then release two different version of the film at the same time i.e a kids version and an adults, thus opening themselves to a much bigger market and with a greater prospect of people going to see the film multiple times. can anyone who knows anything about the film business at all tell me why this wouldn't work  :shrug:

Would this mean twice the marketing costs, distribution costs etc etc? I suspect, like with most business, the people holding the purse strings are thinking only about minimum cost and maximum ROI.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
ROI.

Republic of Ireland?

I think films are all distibuted in digital format, wouldn't be hard to puthave two versions in one?

Plattsy

• forum hero
ROI.

Republic of Ireland?

I think films are all distibuted in digital format, wouldn't be hard to puthave two versions in one?

Return on Investment.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
What's it got to do with Ireland?  ;) Actually they often give films different certificates in Eire due to the views on sex etc there.

Beaten to it with the shit joke.

I think some palms were greased in order for The Dark Knight to get a 12A cert. Great film.

Plattsy

• forum hero
What's it got to do with Ireland?  ;) Actually they often give films different certificates in Eire due to the views on sex etc there.

Beaten to it with the shit joke.

I think some palms were greased in order for The Dark Knight to get a 12A cert. Great film.

I would've probably played along if I had the time to think of something witty.

I remember it was common (for a while, not sure about now)for films to be released as 12a only to be upgraded for DVD release citing the extra content worthy of the uprgade.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We turned up at the iMax last night to watch the Dark Knight and there had been a powercut!  >:(

Now the cinema doesn't have a record of my ticket purchase and I'm sat holding 50 quids worth of tickets and they tell me I have to traipse wall the way back into Manchester with a copy of my bank statement to get my money back..  :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Pain in t'bum.

I watched I am legend on DVD last night, wasn't expecting much, but even so I was disappointed. Close to 28 days later, but without good bits.

Dr T

• forum hero
saw Mummy 3 yesterday - mindless sillyness
if you liked the first two this is very good
if you hated the first two......

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
whilst convalesing this wk with toothache from hell, and why does an emergency dentist appointment take 3 days? i watched march of the penguins. really good. morgan freeman narrating

Dense you really are getting soft in your old age. Never had you down as a penguin man. Hope the toothache has cleared up.

I saw Dark Knight last night, I agree with everyone's comments about it including Jasper's about "palms being greased to get a 12a certificate" - no shit!! Brilliant film, nothing more to add.

Hellboy II trailer looks good. Didn't see the first and don't know anything about it except the "bestiary" looked cool.

Rice Boy

• stalker
I thought Dark Knight was pretty average on the whole although I was very impressed by Heath Leger's Joker.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
A dissenting voice?! Stone him, stone him!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Interestingly, although I thought Heath Ledger was very good, I didn't think his performance particularly stood out or overshadowed anything else about the film. I have to say that this is one of the few films I've seen which have been hyped beyond belief and yet didn't completely disappoint me. To me that means it's pretty good! My one complaint was that Maggie Gyllenhaal wasn't fit enough to be the love interest..........

SPOILER

...but that's ok as they killed her off.

galpinos

• forum hero
My one complaint was that Maggie Gyllenhaal wasn't fit enough to be the love interest..........

[

Too right! Katie Holmes to Maggie Gyllenhaal, what a come down!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
no way man gylenhall all the way for me

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
I was suprised to see MG in this one, not that I'm shallow enough for that to sway my judgement of the film. Re bog breaks - Paul I'm sure that seemed harsh, but I was sat at the end of a row and all and sundry tramped past me throughout the second half.

Anyway, has anyone seen Man on Wire yet? No?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Shallow perhaps but when two of the main characters are supposedly vying for the affections of one woman you'd at least expect her to be attractive and not some jowly, sunken eyed bird.

Personal preference I know.  ;)

Anyway, has anyone seen Man on Wire yet? No?

No, soz.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
No wonder I normally turn images off at work. But your comment does seem a little harsh. Maybe Tom wouldn't let her out for this one.

a dense loner

• forum hero
not going soft fiend. rough with smooth, penguins with scat...

thought batman was very good. agreed with the love interest comments tho, she's a pig. also agree on the 12a comments, no way on earth.

mummy 3 next dr t. good nonsense films.

thought the trailer for the ben stiller jack black film was good, can't remember whether i already mentioned this or just dreamt it.

bought no country for old men t'other day. what a good film! the ending was not what i was expecting

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
not going soft fiend. rough with smooth, penguins with scat...

Oh God dense, no, you're right, you're a disgrace.

No Country For Old Men was good, agree with the ending.

Maybe the bird in The Dark Knight....had a good personality....you know....

Anyone up for seeing Hellboy 2 when it's out??

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Anyone seen Man on Wire yet?

Not yet, but it's on at the Showroom all next week if you're a Sheffieldite. Am going to see it on Monday.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Anyone seen Man on Wire yet?

Went to see this last night and thought it was very good.

The stories told very well, especially considering there is no actual footage of the event.  Jumps around using interviews over re-enactments and archive footage and footage of the interviews themselves.  It did seem to gloss over a few details, but all-in-all its very well done and very interesting, and quite an amazing thing to do (and have got away with).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:36:04 am by slack---line, Reason: correcting poor choice of words »

Plattsy

• forum hero
No Country For Old Men was good, agree with the ending.

Excellent film. Although I spent the whole film wondering where I recognised the actress who played the wife. Couldn't believe it was Kelly McDonald of Trainspotting fame. The accent completely threw me. I need to watch this film again.

Rice Boy

• stalker
Carrying on the party pooper theme.

I enjoyed the first two films for what they were but Mummy 3 was amazingly bad, not seen a film that crap for a while.  Bad; script, acting, chemistry, story etc.  I can understand why Rachael Weizz stayed well clear, which incindentally was my main gripe. Why are they allowed to change character actors half way through?? It's just plain wrong.

May be in a very small minority but I prefer MG to Katie Holmes on looks, performance the lot.

No Country ... Javier Bardem's character was truely fearsome.

Looking forward to Man on a Wire.

Kingy

• forum hero
Mummy 3 was amazingly bad, not seen a film that crap for a while.  Bad; script, acting, chemistry, story etc.  

I would second this, saw this yesterday and although it had its moments, some of the acting was very wooden indeed. I guess it was not meant to be too serious. I liked the special effects and all the pitched battles of mummies and skeletons at the end. The emperor morphing into various monsters was quite cool. However, not having seen the 1st and 2nd films, I don't have much to compare it with. The question is, will I bother getting them on DVD?  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal