UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139179 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
You're right there...even 'hardest man to please in film review' Peter Bradshaw of the Graun liked it!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/25/actionandadventure1

Dr T

• forum hero
DARK KNIGHT - 10/10
awesome - a few false endings but certainly as dark as it deserves to be
Better than the last one by a long stretch (and that was excellent)
Oldman is especially good
go see it

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Did it have the trailers for Watchmen, and the new Terminator film?

Dr T

• forum hero
Did it have the trailers for Watchmen, and the new Terminator film?
No but hell-boy looks amazing....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I must admit to getting excited by the Hellboy II trailer. Judging by the lass's reaction I will be going on my tod. Really enjoyed the Dark Knight. Not quite 10/10 for me, but not far off.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Dark Knight - 9/10.  :agree:

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Watched Control the other night and it sent shivers down my spine an amazing film with an amazing performance from Sam Riley as Ian Curtis then I had a brainwave and found this why aren't the youtube links not working anymore?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
why aren't the youtube links not working anymore?

Probably something to do with the 'ftp' bit of the URL your using, change it to 'www'....

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We turned up at the iMax last night to watch the Dark Knight and there had been a powercut!  >:(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Surely more........ :furious:  :rtfm:  :spank: ? How very annoying.

dave

I'm probably going to make one of my bi-annual cinema visits to see batman soon, (the other one will be the bond film) but shortie is also banging on about wanting to see the x-files film. Anyone seen this? I must admit that when the tv series was originally out in the mid-90s i loved it and had a raging hardon for gillian anderson (what can I say, i was 15) but after the first film in '98 i lost interst as the series lost quality and went on far too long (in many ways like Last of the summer wine). i wouldn't want to go to see this film and be dissappointed - but more to the point does GA look hot in it?

Plattsy

• forum hero
Seen the trailor twice and all I could think was "This reminds me of Scooby Doo". Some monster/supernatural force at work only for it to turn out to be the old man Barnaby in really bad fancy dress. Giving it "I would have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky FBI investigators".

Negatives - Reports say it's been slated state side. Trailor looks shit.

Positives - Billy Connolly is in it. Gillian appears to have aged well.

dave

Positives - Billy Connolly is in it.

Positive? what is he playing, Angus McSellout, an alien disguised as an irritating lottery marketing tool?

Gillian appears to have aged well.

i'm hearing you on VHF.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Positive? what is he playing, Angus McSellout, an alien disguised as an irritating lottery marketing tool?

No, the Big Yin is playing a seer and a stigmatic, if the trailer is to believed. Purple beard does not feature. I would spend the whole film waiting for him to go into a comedy rant. And be disappointed when he doesn't.

GA looks a bit filthy milfy now.

DD is still a pr0n star.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
X-Files film has been slated generally and I would tend to believe that - I'm with you Dave, was a superb series when it started out but after a while ran out of steam and turned into a parody of itself.

I went to see Wall-E recently and it was really good. Typical modern animation classic but with more atmosphere and purpose to it, and amazing animation quality. The earth / robot stuff was so well done that it was hard to believe that it was CGI (the human / ship stuff was more standard). The strongest themed parts were particularly good, some of the more generic bits were weaker. But just good overall.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Watched Hancock. As superhero films go its ace. Powers of Superman, moodiness of Batman, drinking habit of Oliver Reed. More could have been made of the scope for humour based around being drunk in charge of super powers, but it would probably have come over as either making fun of alcohol dependency or glamorising it. Some classic superhero elements were there - loosing powers, criminal mastermind recruiting cronies in prison and breaking out to kill superhero, anguish over not being like everyone else, but there are some fucking ace bits that are new - shoving one bad guy's head up another bad guy's arse sticks in my mind. Great line along the theme of "its not a crime to be an asshole, but it is very counterproductive". They even used an Ice T track for a prison scene - genius (or cliche, I'm not sure).
Looking forward to watching Batman to compare it.

Herbert

• regular
The X-Files film is dire, the plot is akin to some of the weaker episodes that cropped up from time to time in the series. I'd been looking forward to it as I'd been assured that werewolves would be involved. Sadly, no werewolves.  On the plus side, Gillian is indisputably hotter than a jet of bramley apple squeezed from a microwaved apple turnover.

The Dark Knight - I enjoyed this but felt it went on for a good half hour more than I really wanted it to. Why? without spoiling it for anyone I thought the introduction of a particular character could have been saved for the next film. Bail's throaty Batman growl is ridiculous. Mark Kermode's review is good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/videos/kermode_reviews.shtml

Paul B

• forum hero
Despite Cineworld's best efforts (with a useless telephone and internet booking system) I managed to see the Dark Night on Saturday, although a little later than we originally planned.

Quite simply fantastic, ok so the Batman growl was a little over done but the rest seemed flawless, Heath Ledger put it a particularly good performance IMO.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
Watched The Dark Knight on Saturday, maybe 9/10, pretty damn good.

As noted, a couple of false endings but I'm OK with that. I didn't really like the way Gotham was just New York now, but hey ho. And my cinema experience was sullied by fuckwits not have the bladder control to make it through a film that long. Feck, I've got a bladder infection and I made it. Also too many small children there - just because it's a 12 doesn't mean it's a family film!

Saw the even longer version of Gladiator yesterday. Not bad.

Anyone seen Man on Wire yet?

Paul B

• forum hero
Watched The Dark Knight on Saturday, maybe 9/10, pretty damn good.

As noted, a couple of false endings but I'm OK with that. I didn't really like the way Gotham was just New York now, but hey ho. And my cinema experience was sullied by fuckwits not have the bladder control to make it through a film that long. Feck, I've got a bladder infection and I made it. Also too many small children there - just because it's a 12 doesn't mean it's a family film!

Saw the even longer version of Gladiator yesterday. Not bad.

Anyone seen Man on Wire yet?

12a does seem to be getting stretched a lot.

(Btw im obviously a fuckwit as I needed to pee half way through, I was the first to go and everybody else who was busting obviously didn't dare be that idiot as afterwards people started to drop like flies)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
saw the dark knight on friday at the manchester imax. Awesome. seriously contemplating seeing it again.

Cheers
Tim

a dense loner

• forum hero
whilst convalesing this wk with toothache from hell, and why does an emergency dentist appointment take 3 days? i watched march of the penguins. really good. morgan freeman narrating

will check times for dark knight this afternoon. make a day of it, fuck it

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
why does an emergency dentist appointment take 3 days?

Didn't you know most dentists only work one day a week?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I was thinking about batman the other and after my ideas about the hulk having an 18 version came up with this idea.

If when a film company was filming something like that they could shoot extra material at a relatively low cost and then release two different version of the film at the same time i.e a kids version and an adults, thus opening themselves to a much bigger market and with a greater prospect of people going to see the film multiple times. can anyone who knows anything about the film business at all tell me why this wouldn't work  :shrug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Don't they do it with some DVDs?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal