UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139664 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
went to see darjeeling the other day, its very offbeat but is a very entertaining film and well worth it for anyone who like lost in translation

Hmm, doesn't sound like my cup of tea  ::)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
and for true gruesome fight horror 'irreversible' takes some beating.....

Irreversible is grim. Thought it was overly unpleasant just for the sake of it. When you take away the shock value there's not a lot left.

I like the fight scene in Grosse Point Blank when John Cusack nails the hard as fuck assasin bloke with the pen he's just been given.

went to see darjeeling the other day, its very offbeat but is a very entertaining film and well worth it for anyone who like lost in translation

I hated Lost In Translation. I ususally like that type of film but i thought it was poor.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
saw beowolf at the weekend - didnt know the story and the CGI was really good (didnt get in the way of a rather good tale)... but am i getting old or does anything get a 12a rating unless it portrays gang violance or sex??? there's no way my 9 year old would have sat through that... way too scary / graphicly violent..

runt

• obsessive maniac
Quick tip on a couple to avoid, unless you feel like being throughly depressed

the girl next door.....harrowing. child abuse + psycho aunty, should of found out more before I started watching it.

Perfect witness.....totally grim. serial killer, more child abuse, not a peaceful nights viewing.

More amusingly, deathproof and grindhouse... tarantino and rodriguez, usual thing, guns, girls, muscle cars etc
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 07:04:01 pm by runt, Reason: my crap spelling »

Yossarian

• forum hero
really good. and one of the most brutal bloody fight scenes i've ever seen...
agree with the first sentiment, although was underhorrified by the bathroom fight - thought the 'bourne ultimatum' arab vs bourne (in the moroccan style shower scene) fight was more brutal, and for true gruesome fight horror 'irreversible' takes some beating.....

yep, maybe. i thought the bourne one was good too, but the camera was leaping about so much that you could hardly see what was going on.

the thing about the fight in eastern promises was the build-up. whatshisface fucks off, leaving an armed tamar hassan and his nasty friend to take care of a semi naked russian (trying not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet). there's no way he's going to make it. but he does. 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Watched The Princess Bride again for about the hundredth time. Cracking family film with humour on all levels(featuring Big Al Qaeda and other Peak rock), but won't appeal to everyone. The makers/writers of Shrek obviously got a lot of inspiration from this film. If you like the script, I can reccommend reading William Goldman's book The Princess Bride.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
but won't appeal to everyone.
Why not? its a fantastic film and I've yet to meet anyone who's not enjoyed it.
I don't pay you to be the weakest giant

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
but won't appeal to everyone.
Why not? its a fantastic film and I've yet to meet anyone who's not enjoyed it.
I don't pay you to be the weakest giant
I based that comment on the fact that I once met one person who didn't like it on the grounds that it was a fairytale (he is a  :wank: er and not very bright, but I am sure there are more like him out there. Not on this forum obviously).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Well if he (or she) is a  :wank: then I don't want to know them or meet them or even know about their existance, so I still stand by my statement.
Actually thinking about it, I know Dense, but he likes princess birde so I'll let him off.
Are you a R.O.U.S?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Are you a R.O.U.S?
I don't think they exist.

Rob

Are you a R.O.U.S?
I don't think they exist.
I'm not so sure, there are some at my place of work the size of dogs, big dogs... and they hunt in packs.  :o

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
gentlemen the time has arrived

bring it on

Yossarian

• forum hero
gentlemen the time has arrived

bring it on

i don't know whether to laugh or cry...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
those pent up feelings of hatred, fear and self loathing coupled with urgent desires to slay the common man seem fully addressed by this piece of film.

I for one am Gagging for it....

runt

• obsessive maniac
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395584/

'The devils rejects'
Rob zombie does cinema, not for the squeamish, but good tunes and lots of vengeance, I liked it

galpinos

• forum hero

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Country_for_Old_Men_(film)

Saw this last week with the missus. We wanted to see American Gangster but were to late so thought a Cohen Bros' movie would be a good alternative. Hadn't heard anything about it. Thought it was fantastic. Javier Bardem is quite chilling.

Came out of the cinema to see big billboards with critical acclaim etc written all over them and there's adverts on the telly for it every 5 mins.

Not sure when it's out in the UK but is a definite must see.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395584/

'The devils rejects'
Rob zombie does cinema, not for the squeamish, but good tunes and lots of vengeance, I liked it

Yes this is top. It's the sequel to House Of 1000 Corpses which is shit. Fortunately you don't need to watch the first one to enjoy the far superior second.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Not sure when it's out in the UK but is a definite must see.

The wikipedia article you linked indicates that the UK release is the 18th January 2008.

galpinos

• forum hero

Cunning Slack-line! (I hadn't actually read the article, just can't get onto imdb at work so it was the next best thing).

18th Jan, that's a while off. Looks like I jumped the gun a bit.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
"Harold Buttleman, Daredevil Stuntman" - not mainstream hollywood, but free to watch (takes up 95 mins of your time). On a par with Alain Robert, but funny and interesting and without having his head stuck up his own arse.
Harold Buttleman, small town tuxedo salesman, thinks he's the next Evel Knievel. He's not.
One Summer meats Friends meets Jackass with a script as electric as The Real Thing.
I enjoyed watching it while doing other stuff on the 'puter.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Fully Flared, a new skate film featuring some of the best. This might have been missed on some of your radars, but it's being hailed as the best skate video since sliced bread. It's got plenty of good action with tricks that I can't even pretend to know the name of. Obviously as a skate director you're best friend "fisheye" is always with you... so for those who aren't best friends with "fisheye" - you've been warned. Here's the trailer, courtesy of youtube. Also, you can download it for free, thus killing creation, by searching ever popular torrent sites.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Has anyone seen Blade Runner - The Final Cut yet?

Now i know a lot of folks find Blade Runner tedious poop but i love it and the chance to see the full version as intended in HD makes me very happy.

Je suis un Blad-runneur fanatique!   There is a new version?!  Great news!  Being frequently wrong I don't mind if I am   again - but I think this film is about destroying God.  C'mon?  What's yo opinion, Bubs?

Jasper - I too am surprised that you did not dig Lost in Translation.  You opened a new angle vis-a-vis Bubba -vs- Ho-Tep but didn't find this film touching?  I thought it heartbreaking.  I also think that Bill Murray has finally found his niche, he does the sad and whistful/regretful thing very well indeed, I t'ink.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I've just finished watching "The Number 23" with Jim Carrey, playing a serious role for once. Pretty good. I thought so anyway.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jasper - I too am surprised that you did not dig Lost in Translation.  You opened a new angle vis-a-vis Bubba -vs- Ho-Tep but didn't find this film touching?  I thought it heartbreaking.  I also think that Bill Murray has finally found his niche, he does the sad and whistful/regretful thing very well indeed, I t'ink.

I like Murray and thought he was quite good but the film didn't touch me at all. Perhaps I was in the wrong frame of mind but I just found it dull and obvious.

Blade Runner is fucking brilliant.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The lass asked for spooky/mystery and I returned forthwith with Transformers.

There was a time in my life that Transformers ruled.  I had the coolest Decepticon of all: Thrust.  I had access to Optimus Prime; Megatron; Dirge; Jazz - and many more.  I wanted to love this film. 

Yet they made is so hard: the film is at least 35 - 45mins too long and many of the scenes are woefull, regrettable balls of poop that would no more satisfy the square-eyed, PS3-wad callused-fingered bairns of today than a nostalgic fool hungry for times past.

Fuck it off and don't spoil the good times between yo ears, Holmes.

PS - I saw the Number 23 weeks ago and thought it fuck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal