UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139525 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I watched Love Honour and obey tonight with a host of names like Ray Winstone, Jonny Lee Miller, Denise van Outen, Sadie Frost etc starring.

Its from 1999 so isn't exactly brand new but it was excellent.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I thought Love, Honour and Obey was a brilliant example of Lock, Stock bandwagon jumping Britcrap myself...

This should be on a Good TV thread, but as I don't own one I don't plan to start you all talking about things that I'm not going to see.  But....

The Buddha of Suburbia - I spent a week glued to the DVD of this. The book is great, and the TV series from back in 93 really brings it to life. Naveen Andrews is fantastic, as is the bloke playing the repellent Changez. And Pyke and Eleanor. It has aged incredibly well too. Hire it from Amazon and enjoy.

Deadwood - Since reluctantly agreeing to borrow the set of series 1 and therefore lifting my embargo on American TV series, I have been seriously impressed with this. It's so fucking good. Ian McShane should've got into westerns years ago. It's brilliantly scripted, beautifully filmed and so gripping I nearly made some excuse about crashing my car this morning so I could finish an episode.

Dr T

• forum hero
I watched Love Honour and obey tonight with a host of names like Ray Winstone, Jonny Lee Miller, Denise van Outen, Sadie Frost etc starring.

Its from 1999 so isn't exactly brand new but it was excellent.

in that vein - saw layercake again the other day - a good waste of a couple of hours

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yoss - Now your embargo is lifted you need to go and watch The Wire.. It's absolutely fantastic, compelling viewing... go buy and treat yourself over Christmas.

andy popp

• forum hero
On a Coen bros. tip I watched Fargo again the other night. Well worth a watch, i reckon. Beautifully shot as you'd expect, and moves along nicely. Steve Buscemi playing another creepy little guy down to perfection.

Fargo is not just great but brilliant (would definitely be in my top 5) - Frances McDormand especially. It normally gets tagged as 'black comedy' which does it a profound injustice IMO.  I though it a very subtle, humane film.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Yaar, yaar.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
 ;D

Anyone see A Scanner Darkly yet? I watched it the other  day. If you're into your Phillip K Dick then the film/cartoon (its film that's been rotascoped to take on a weird lurid cartoon qualitiy) is pretty faithful to the book. Keanu Reeves bumbles on through a weird, seedy drug underworld with a bunch of fellow freaks all getting high on a new killer narcotic - subtance D(eath). Some very funny moments, some dark occurences and some trippy happenings all going on in a disjointed (in a good way) freakout flick. Enjoy. :P

Dr T

• forum hero

Anyone see A Scanner Darkly yet?

yep.... Richard Linklater quality as ever
and Rory Cochrane - as good as he was in dazed and confused  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
I finally got round to watching ASD about a month ago. I forst thought the rotoscoping was amazing, but the novellty soon wore off. As for the story, i thought it OK, but didn't think it was somethnig that translated particularly well to film.

Halfway through watching Downfall at the moment. Interesting and some great acting. Bloody long though.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I can't wait to see Untergang.  Holding out for a copy with English subtitles (this would be too much fast German to get everything).

Final analysis, Chris?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Geil! (still got an hour to go).

chappers

• forum hero
off to see american ganster tonight, i will report back....

I finally got round to watching ASD about a month ago. I forst thought the rotoscoping was amazing, but the novellty soon wore off. As for the story, i thought it OK, but didn't think it was somethnig that translated particularly well to film.

i agree with that chris, no doubt.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac

I stopped noticing the rotascoping about 1/2 way through too. Didn't feel it detracted from the film though. Just felt pretty neutral about it. Apparently it was something to do with those moving anonymity suits in the film. Would have probably blown the films budget many times over thrying to CGI those badboys in a non-rotascoped context. This could be bullshit though - read it in a paper.

Phillip K Dick's novels have really odd quality to them, which i reckon the film captured quite faithfully. There are times when the film goes into "book mode" quoting it ad verbatim - memorably in the suicide attempt which turns into an intense trip involving the suicidee's list of sins. I thought that worked pretty well myself. I much prefer that style to the hollywood shlock that Minority Report became - but then i like his writing and I'm a sucker for quirkiness in films.

"Halfway through watching Downfall at the moment. Interesting and some great acting. Bloody long though."

Another excellent film. Fuck me, it gets a bit dark though. He shoots himself in the end btw!  :oops:  :wall:  ;D

Paz

• junky
I want to finally second the old Shaolin Soccer recommendation, but unusually the English version's better.  Fear not though, the soundtrack to this is done by Hong Kong folk (who obviously also speak English themselves), so none of those ridiculous Gung Ho yank bastard overdub efforts.  The humour's more hilarious then to my mind, though this is a personal thing and I only have a short attention span.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Very excited @ thought of Cronenbergs' latest, Eastern Promises. (And I don't have a clue about London).

TRAILER

Cronenberg.  Probably the best director in the world.

saw it this afternoon. really good. and one of the most brutal bloody fight scenes i've ever seen...

chtob vse byli zdorovy

Yossarian

• forum hero
Yoss - Now your embargo is lifted you need to go and watch The Wire.. It's absolutely fantastic, compelling viewing... go buy and treat yourself over Christmas.

Bought and by gosh it's good. I got back late last night and the Yoss'ometer announced a very definite bottle of wine and episode 2 rather than the more sensible water and bed. Episode 3 this lunchtime. 

I particularly enjoyed D'Angelo's chess explanation...

The king ain't got no hustle, and the queen is the go get shit done piece...the queen ain't no bitch. She got all the moves. Pawns get capped quick. Unless they some smart ass pawns...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Has anyone seen Blade Runner - The Final Cut yet?

Now i know a lot of folks find Blade Runner tedious poop but i love it and the chance to see the full version as intended in HD makes me very happy.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I had a bit of a UKB recommended film fest over the weekend whilst looking after poorly Mrs FD who had undergone dental surgery on Friday.  Being the kind nurse that I am I treated her to the following:

Oldboy: This surprised me.. I was expecting a straightforward Tartan gangster flick, not some a beautifully shot existentialist art movie.  Brilliant.

Oldjoy: Bored me.  Normally I would like this kind of thing so maybe I was in the wrong mood but by halfway I wanted to shoot both of them and bury them in the woods. 

300: Mrs FD said 'This is just the f*cking fight scene from Return of the King.. its even got elephants in it'.  I thought it was very gay, very exciting and I wanted to be a Spartan until I saw Xerxes harem of doped up sexy houris and my allegiances were challenged.  Top fun.

Zodiac: Drama... casting Robert Downey Jr as coke addled, pothead journalist Paul Avery was a stroke of genius.  One of the best thrillers I've watched in years.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Bought and by gosh it's good.

Top man... it's brilliant.  What you might not know is that McNulty and Stringerbell are both Brit actors.

Let me know what you think when you get to the end of the 1st series.

cofe

• forum hero
Zodiac: Drama... casting Robert Downey Jr as coke addled, pothead journalist Paul Avery was a stroke of genius.  One of the best thrillers I've watched in years.

you're right.

i watched Babel the other night. thought it was rubbish.

Stoat

• regular
  • Would you like to come back and look at my cock?
Watched A Shot in the Dark the other day. An absolute classic, but although I no longer condone drug use I would recommend watching this or any of the other Pink Panther series on that fuck strong weed that came out of Jesmond a few years back. :oops: Or that bale that was smuggled out under police surveylance from that cave in Wales. :oops:

Yossarian

• forum hero
Bought and by gosh it's good.

Top man... it's brilliant.  What you might not know is that McNulty and Stringerbell are both Brit actors.

Let me know what you think when you get to the end of the 1st series.

I was pretty sure that McNulty was a resident of these shores, but Stringer Bell...?  Hmmmm. He's good.

I say it again, that chess scene is awesome. And the development of Pryzbylewski is my current fave bit.  I will furnish you with my overall rating when I get to the end.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
anyone seen the darjeeling limited yet? will be going myself next week

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
really good. and one of the most brutal bloody fight scenes i've ever seen...
agree with the first sentiment, although was underhorrified by the bathroom fight - thought the 'bourne ultimatum' arab vs bourne (in the moroccan style shower scene) fight was more brutal, and for true gruesome fight horror 'irreversible' takes some beating.....

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
went to see darjeeling the other day, its very offbeat but is a very entertaining film and well worth it for anyone who like lost in translation

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal