UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139278 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Has anyone seen Bubba - vs - Ho-tep

(The King - vs - The King of the Dead.) This DVD has been staring at me for well, about a year, waiting to be hired.

Bubba Ho-Tep is class. Totally ridiculous and very funny in parts. Also quite touching.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Saw Bubba Ho-Tep last night. 

I think in the main it fell on it's face:  bad soundtrack; Bubba Ho-Tep despite having the most badass name in the history of ghoul-naming was somewhat unwhelming in aquaintance; it was strangely moving though (but I thought it a mistake to bring this into what should've been a top film about a wraith that sucks the lifeforce of his victim through their assholes).  Shame, it nearly had it all.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It was a while ago that I saw it but IIRC I thought the whole wraith bit was just a sidetrack to the main premise of the movie. That of Elvis and (a black) JFK being stuck in an old folks home with nobody believing that it's them. If you're looking for a shit kicking ghoul flick then yeah, it's gonna fall on it's arse but I liked it......... in a strange way.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I just watched Sugarhouse on the plane on the way to the US today - it started well and then went downhill and all rather obvious.  Don't pay to go and see it at the cinema....  I got the feeling the director had gone for too many improvised scenes and dialogue in an attempt to get some 'realism' but it didn't really cut it.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Just checked Little Miss Sunshine on dvd. Damn good, feelgood, bittersweet character based/ family-sized road, trip movie. Just feel better for watching it.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I liked little miss sunshine but for some reason it didn't quite seem to hit the spot

clm

• forum hero
Control - what do people think?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Control -
pants.

Not really, just amused me.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Pretty poor effort on not seeing this yet I'm sure, but can anyone recommend me spending 2 hours or thereabouts watching Blow (Cruz and Depp)? Need to spend film time wisely..

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I've never seen Cruz blow Depp, but the film is reasonable.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I thought it was OK, but ran out of steam towards the end.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
Control - what do people think?
thought the gigs sounded brill - the actors learnt the tunes in a few weeks apparently - thought the film itself doesn't really take us anywhere new or interesting, although it looked the part

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Anyone else seen DIG!
Watched it a couple of times now.
Right funny/interesting. Well worth seeing.

Hydraulic Man

• player
Come and See-Grim but very good movie..

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Very excited @ thought of Cronenbergs' latest, Eastern Promises. (And I don't have a clue about London).

TRAILER

Cronenberg.  Probably the best director in the world.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Very excited @ thought of Cronenbergs' latest, Eastern Promises. (And I don't have a clue about London).

TRAILER

Cronenberg.  Probably the best director in the world.

Totally agree with you there, Houdini.

Freaking awesome. Love the way he invokes real dark atmospheres, through use of sound lighting (and not forgetting fullon nasty events) in quite normal day-to-day situations. I finally got round to watching A History of Violence the other day. Twas superb. I live in London, but would be watching Eastern Promises regardless.

SA Chris

• forum hero
And its got Aragorn in it.

BenF

• forum hero
Not new by any stretch of the imagination (came out in 2000), but I watched "O Brother Where Art Thou" again the other day.  Utter class from start to finish and in my opinion near perfect in filming, sound and story.  Possibly my favourite film of all time that still keeps my interest on repeat viewings.

Also watched some Korean set movie called "Sympathy for Mr Vengance" and about a deaf/dumb fella who donates an kidney to save his sister, gets ripped off by kidney stealing bandits, then kidnaps a kid to raise the money for the transplant and then it all goes horribly wrong.  I kid ye not.  Well shot, interesting use of sound, mad plot but a bit violent.  Not bad.  No baby goats in it though.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I tend to watch about one film a year on average. This years choice came 2 days ago - The Cave. Along with Coolio and his Red Water film, this is probably the worst film ever made. So in answer to the thread title, it's not a quality film but one to avoid like the bubonic plague.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Not new by any stretch of the imagination (came out in 2000), but I watched "O Brother Where Art Thou" again the other day.  Utter class from start to finish and in my opinion near perfect in filming, sound and story.  Possibly my favourite film of all time that still keeps my interest on repeat viewings.

It's class. You do know the plot is based on Homer's Odyssey? Only thing that bugs me is that I really don't like George Clooney, but think he s great in it. Everyone else is well cast too. Some great music on the soundtrack (but some shit as well).

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
On a Coen bros. tip I watched Fargo again the other night. Well worth a watch, i reckon. Beautifully shot as you'd expect, and moves along nicely. Steve Buscemi playing another creepy little guy down to perfection.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Fargo is a great film imho.

Didn't know that about O Brother... Chris, i must watch it sometime... I really like the Alison Krauss "Down to the river" thingy from the soundtrack.

BenF

• forum hero
It's class. You do know the plot is based on Homer's Odyssey? Only thing that bugs me is that I really don't like George Clooney, but think he s great in it. Everyone else is well cast too.

Yeah, I know that but I've never got round to reading the Odyssey (yet).  I too am not a massive fan of Clooney (because I am not a middle aged housewife), but I think he's pretty damn good in this, he seems to fit the part.

Bubba/Lorentz, Fargo is total class too and Bubba you've got to check out O Brother as it ticks many of the same dry humour and stylish plot boxes that Fargo ticks too.

If you're interested in some random persons thoughts on the film masquerading as fact...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Brother,_Where_Art_Thou%3F

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
My major malfunction is serious non-eidetic memory...   I could forget a film within hours of watching it; it'll be gone forever.  If I remember a film one week after viewing - it must be good. 

Films I've remembered this week:

Bug - Slow to develop but compulsive viewing when it finally boils.  A film about psychological illness (post-traumatic stress) and extreme paranoia.

Running with Scissors - Amusing portrayal of disfunctional family life/therapist culture, starring Brian Cox (love him in almost everything), Joseph Fiennes et al.  Pretty good, and I'd offer more stars out of 10 than IMDB do.   Not bad.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
On the subject of the Coen bro's. Their new effort 'No country for old men' is getting rave reviews everywhere.  Its based on the Cormac McArthy novel of the same name which is an absolutely brilliant book.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal