UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1138121 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Could say the same for Blackhawk Down, which is based on true events.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Could say the same for Blackhawk Down, which is based on a wilful gross distortion of true events.

Just a minor edit. Although Ridley Scott is a brilliant director,  and BHD is an entertaining film if you pretend its fiction,  it totally misrepresents what was a total disaster for the US. Perhaps in a similar way to say, a Dirty Dozen film and WWII.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Fair enough, I thought "based on" covered that adequately, but feel free.

However the point I was trying to make about the local population getting mowed down in large numbers isn't under dispute though.

TobyD

• forum hero
Indeed not Chris I think I agree with you! BHD just slightly annoyed me, because it's brilliant as a film, but because it's a distortion of events worthy of Leni Riefenstahl, it shouldn't exist. I love action films, but I dislike propaganda which mistells recent history. It's just a personal bugbear that one.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I'd like to know how much of 12 Strong, which I mentioned earlier, is actually true.

As far as history goes, don't get me started on U-571.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
As far as history goes, don't get me started on U-571.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤯🤮 :agree:

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I find the whole 'based on true events' idea off putting and generally uninteresting in film. I'd rather not know that about a movie.

If I want to watch a documentary I'll put bbc4 on.

Feel free to wade fourth with examples; no doubt this like most things will prove me a hypocrite.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Because truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, and it's nice to learn about something delivered in an entertaining manner.

Goodbye Bafana

Zodiac

K-19 The Widowmaker

Mr Nice

The Imitation Game

Midnight Express

12 Years a Slave

Papillon

Cry Freedom

Raging Bull

Wolf of Wall Street

The Big Short

TobyD

• forum hero
I find the whole 'based on true events' idea off putting and generally uninteresting in film. I'd rather not know that about a movie.

It's not an unreasonable comment, but along with above examples, the last film I saw in a cinema before the lockdown was Dark Waters. It is no doubt a dramatisation not a documentary, which tells a true story in an entertaining way without straying from the spirit of those events as far as I know. I'm sure it glossed over some things and plays up others but it is entertainment not investigative journalism.
Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri was brilliant.
Vice was brilliant as well, and very close to actual events I think.

My beef is with films that create entertainment out of a distortion of history with an agenda, particularly when this is to Lionise the instigators of disaster, which BHD does in spades.

If a film makes a prominent point of being based on true events, I like there to be a point to that, rather than just an interesting story. Otherwise I don't mind what it's based on as long as I like watching it!

cowboyhat

• forum hero

It's not an unreasonable comment, but along with above examples, the last film I saw in a cinema before the lockdown was Dark Waters. It is no doubt a dramatisation not a documentary, which tells a true story in an entertaining way without straying from the spirit of those events as far as I know. I'm sure it glossed over some things and plays up others but it is entertainment not investigative journalism.
Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri was brilliant.
Vice was brilliant as well, and very close to actual events I think.

My beef is with films that create entertainment out of a distortion of history with an agenda, particularly when this is to Lionise the instigators of disaster, which BHD does in spades.

If a film makes a prominent point of being based on true events, I like there to be a point to that, rather than just an interesting story. Otherwise I don't mind what it's based on as long as I like watching it!

Thanks this more or less sums up what I was getting at and Chris' list has some obviously briliant examples.

At least I called it.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Just rewatched american psycho and the hateful eight on Netflix.

I think i love american psycho even more now than when it came out. Bales performance really is astounding and its still so funny. Very tight movie, hundred minutes, the first half hour sets it up amazingly well. all the lines people quote are from the first few minutes.

And with Hateful, if you can sit still for 2h30 the tension ratchets up so perfectly.

As an aside i'd forgotten a crucial detail of one of the scenes and started watching it with the twelve year old, vaguely thinking it was just a western thats a bit more gory but basically everyone just gets shot. Fortunately just over an hour in we called bedtime and promised to revisit the following evening. I carried on watching and, no, it is an 18 for a reason.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Totally. See comment re: U-571.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched 'Meeting Gorbachev' last night.  Werner Herzog interviewing the man himself.  It's really interesting and I learned a lot but it's not quite what you'd expect with both of these two in the same room.  Herzog is clearly enamoured, if not overawed by his subject and you might ask if he soft balled a little but it's still a fascinating insight nevertheless.  Some great side pieces from James Baker, Lech Walesa and the Hungarian PM (can't remember his name). 

TobyD

• forum hero
Watched Mission impossible Ghost Protocol on Netflix; highly entertaining lowbrow action with some great silly climbing bits. Doesn't pretend to be anything it's not and I liked it. Not sophisticated but fun.

JamieG

• forum hero
Wife and I watched Palm Springs recently. Very good Sundance-y romantic comedy with a ground hog day time loop element.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Extraction - watched it twice recently cos I enjoyed it so much. Exactly what a modern action film should be.
Chris Hemsworth is really good in these kind of roles. Reminds me a bit of Harrison Ford. And myself, obviously.

Me too. I was going to post about it! I really liked it - set in Dakha it had a very non Hollywood feel to it which I really enjoyed.

To all you boys that liked extraction...make sure you’ve seen the Indonesian ‘The Raid’....top draw and superior in every way to imitations.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
What about this imitation?

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
That is brilliant  :punk:

It’s a plot spoiler though..so don’t watch if you haven’t seen the Raid!

andy popp

• forum hero
Wife and I watched Palm Springs recently. Very good Sundance-y romantic comedy with a ground hog day time loop element.

Horses for courses; I didn't like Palm Springs at all. Similarly, I recently enjoyed Uncut Gems, but my wife really disliked it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We watched Uncut Gems last night. It was great. I was absolutely knackered by the end. Read an Ebert review afterwards in which he described the directors as “the masters of anxiety inducing film” and he’s not wrong. It’s exhausting.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Watched Three Billboards last night. Quite brilliant.

andy popp

• forum hero
We watched Uncut Gems last night. It was great. I was absolutely knackered by the end. Read an Ebert review afterwards in which he described the directors as “the masters of anxiety inducing film” and he’s not wrong. It’s exhausting.

Also, I had to give up on even hearing - let alone understanding - half the dialogue; but once I'd accepted that I was in for the ride.

Paul B

• forum hero
We watched Uncut Gems last night. It was great.

I found it exhausting after 30 minutes and that was enough.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Ah - We'll often watch films with subtitles on for W but it really helps with flicks like this.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Ah - We'll often watch films with subtitles on for W but it really helps with flicks like this.

Having the subtitles on is a habit I got into from watching The Wire.  I've since found it invaluable for any series / film with lots of heavily accented, slang heavy dialogue - I also find reading names helps me remember who the characters with big casts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal