UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1133561 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
Or in other words: Tenet or tennets? Which is your vice?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
or Tennents

JamieG

• forum hero
Damn it! I've been out of Scotland too long, can't even spell Tennents.  :slap:

To be fair you normally only need to be able to see the big red T through the beer haze and you'll be fine.  :pissed:

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Re: risk of going to the pictures: what Nutty said.
Everybody has a price.

Yes I agree Will. I am a massive cinephile and I value the experience. Cinema is what films are made for and you will always lose something, sometimes an awful lot, by watching it at home.
It's something I will accept a certain amount of risk for. I didn't see Nuttys post until I had already posted.

Describing a cinema as an air conditioned box is all rather alarmist. Even if someone else in the room has it, you're still unlikely to catch it, not everyone who is in the same room as people with the virus does.

I'll accept it's more risky than a walk, although that depends on where you walk, the Peak District for example gets very busy, and some paths are narrow...

But this isn't a virus thread, apologies. Gav, I'm glad to hear that others thought Tenet was a great movie, and I look forward to seeing it at some point.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Quote from: Fiend
Re: risk of going to the pictures: what Nutty said.
Everybody has a price.

Yes I agree Will. I am a massive climber and I value the experience of climbing - including during lockdown. Climbing is what the outdoor world was made for and you will always lose something, sometimes an awful lot, by sitting at home festering.
It's something I will accept a certain amount of risk for. I didn't see Nuttys post until I had already posted.

Describing the outdoors as having an actual risk is all rather alarmist. Even if someone else on the same hillside has it, you're still unlikely to catch it, not everyone who is on the same hillside as people with the virus does.

I'll accept it's more risky than just walking / running / cycling once a day as we were allowed to, although that depends on where you do those things because most of the time during your daily exercise allowance there might be people around...

:-\ :-\ :-\

P.S. I want to go see Tenet.

P.P.S. Mama Fiend has been <insert highly vulgar metaphor for excitement here that will have Mr and Mrs Briggs tutting furiously into their organic herbal teas at the horror of it all> to get back to the cinema, despite being in a clearly high risk group. Not to see Tenet of course, she's far too highbrow for that, makes Falling Down and andy popp look as crass as me.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I'll accept it's more risky than a walk, although that depends on where you walk, the Peak District for example gets very busy, and some paths are narrow...

Toby, I don't think you should necessarily avoid the cinema. It's your thing; it means a lot to you. If you've weighed up the risks and you're keen then you should go. There's very little that anybody can do which is 0 risk.

However, the quote above implies that your understanding of the risks is very different to mine. I don't think anybody understands it completely yet, but we do know enough to know that the above isn't true.

If you're in the cinema and you're "downwind" of an asymptomatic person with COVID then you'll be breathing in a very low concentration of viruses for 2-3 hours. Over that time, you might cop for an infectious dose due to the prolonged period that you were exposed to low levels of the virus. If you were to happen upon the same person on a narrow path in the Peak then you might brush past them momentarily and you'd only be exposed to their breath for a very short time - not nearly enough time to get an infectious dose. Any viruses that they do breathe out as they go round their walk will be dispersed and diluted by the huge volume of moving air that is present outside. In the cinema, any aerosols that they're producing will hang around for much longer.

That's my understanding of it - it might be wrong or incomplete. I've a friend who has worked as a doctor in intensive care and infectious diseases in Sheffield. She told me she was popping to the wall and I questioned the wisdom of this on the basis of the above. Her view was that aerosol generating procedures were not happening in a climbing wall (but heavy breathing, surely?). I expect her view is coloured by the fact that her workplace is much higher risk, so whatever she might get up to in her free time seems comparatively risk free; and also by the fact that she said, "I just want to have some fun before it kicks off again in winter!".

James Malloch

• forum hero

If you're in the cinema and you're "downwind" of an asymptomatic person with COVID then you'll be breathing in a very low concentration of viruses for 2-3 hours. Over that time, you might cop for an infectious dose due to the prolonged period that you were exposed to low levels of the virus. If you were to happen upon the same person on a narrow path in the Peak then you might brush past them momentarily and you'd only be exposed to their breath for a very short time - not nearly enough time to get an infectious dose. Any viruses that they do breathe out as they go round their walk will be dispersed and diluted by the huge volume of moving air that is present outside. In the cinema, any aerosols that they're producing will hang around for much longer.

Essentially what the link shared by SA Chris says: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Some of the diagrams showing who became infected in an indoor environment are very interesting too.

tomtom

• forum hero
It all depends (as I alluded to in an earlier post) on the amount of fresh air introduced into the AC and if it’s filtered (and if so how much). Saw a good article on this the other day that kind of said It all depended on the amount of fresh air introduced to the heating/cooling system.

If it’s not filtered and all recirculated (like a conventional wall mounted ACU in a room or small restaraunt) then walk away.

Windows open ✅

Large venue AC (like a cknima) will probably introduce some fresh air in with the recirculation - but how much is quite important. Otherwise a small dose keeps recirculating.

There’s a couple of recent studies (one on 22 people infected on a coach journey) showing that the closed recirculation can be especially problematic.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Saw an ad on Netfux yesterday for The Debt Collector and decided to give it 10 mins as it had a decidedly B movie look to it.
It was bloody ace! Great dialogue and action all the way through. And there was a second one! So I watched that too. Just as good. The second one is rather unsurprisingly titled "The debt collector 2".

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Kenneth Branagh has an extremely unconvincing Russian accent in Tenet. I could sustain my disbelief for the inversion of the 2nd law, but an extremely thick "Russian" accent but with a standard /h/ and voiced consonants at the end of words? NO such luck.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
A few recent watches:

Apostasy - on iPlayer. Really good, an examination of the Jehovah's Witness community. Really well acted and enraging at times.

The Nightingale - on netflix. Good revenge story set in colonial Tasmania. Not for the faint hearted, so fair warning. Pretty graphic and disturbing at times but beautifully shot and a great storyline.

The Babadook - iPlayer. Same director as Nightingale. Good spooky horror but slightly overlong. The child in it annoyed me intensely at the start but I think thats sort of the point.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I went with the lad, almost 13 now, to see Tenet. We both really enjoyed it, totally absorbing.

Plot/ science probably doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny but who gives a shit; it’s just a great movie. Liked the performances, Branagh didn’t bother me, actually thought he was quite good ignoring the accent.

Very much of the Nolan œuvre. Was thinking where does it leave your bond film type of thing; much like the first Bourne film moved things on with the heist action genre, here we have this auteur with some original ideas being given the budgets to do what he wants which turns out to be heist action things like Inception or Tenet. If I go to see it I can’t imagine I’ll come out of the next Bond in such a great mood.

Also watched The Terminator and The Untouchables. He loved them both, as do I. Not too long, remember when films used to be two hours...? Pacing, tension and soundtrack crank up nicely through both. Whilst Connery is good in the Untouchables, best supporting actor feels like either a weak year or a loyal service nod.

I second Knives Out, great stuff. Which reminds me I will go and see Bond; because Ana de Armas.

[i looked it up, yeah honourable achievement award for being Sean Connery]

crzylgs

• stalker
Hey all - I haven't posted on here for ages and not wanting to bore you with all the old films I've been re-watching over lockdown so I'll just share the most recent trio.

I started with True Romance - I think having Tarantino as the writer but then Tony Scott directing is such an amazing combination. Absolutely stacked cast, all putting in incredible performances although perhaps Gary Oldman's is 'incredible' without actually being good but is certainly out there!

Tarantino openly talks about how heavily True Romance was influenced by Badlands - a film I've never watched but was aware of its reputation so figured I'd go ahead and give it a go. After watching it's clear to see how this movie from the 70s influence an entire generation of director and gave me a craving for more Terrence Malick... Which leads us on to...

The Thin Red line - a film I had watched before but long enough ago that I although I knew the story had forgotten much of the dialogue. In fact I was surprised when the dialogue that UNKLE sampled in their song 'Eye for an eye' appeared in the film as I have listened to that song plenty of times but had never placed the sample. Another absolutely stacked cast, again all putting in superb performances and no Gary Oldman crazyness. Nick Nolte is turning it up to 11 but really works for me. Contender for best war film ever? Certainly right up there for me.

Bradders

• forum hero
Interesting to hear that about The Thin Red Line, it's been a long time since I last watched it but I remember it being utterly tedious!

On the other hand, recently watched 1917 and thought it was superb. The 'one shot' thing is totally immersive, doesn't feel gimmicky at all, and the ebb and flow of the film felt spot on. Tense believable action sequences with haunting sections between and great dialogue.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

On the other hand, recently watched 1917 and thought it was superb. The 'one shot' thing is totally immersive, doesn't feel gimmicky at all, and the ebb and flow of the film felt spot on. Tense believable action sequences with haunting sections between and great dialogue.

Yeah, 1917 is brilliant. Was very glad I saw it in a cinema but good to hear it retains its impact on a TV (presumably).

Bradders

• forum hero
Yes on TV. Started off with it just "on in the background" and ended up riveted unable to look away.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I went with the lad, almost 13 now, to see Tenet. We both really enjoyed it, totally absorbing.

Plot/ science probably doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny but who gives a shit; it’s just a great movie. Liked the performances, Branagh didn’t bother me, actually thought he was quite good ignoring the accent.

Very much of the Nolan œuvre. Was thinking where does it leave your bond film type of thing; much like the first Bourne film moved things on with the heist action genre, here we have this auteur with some original ideas being given the budgets to do what he wants which turns out to be heist action things like Inception or Tenet. If I go to see it I can’t imagine I’ll come out of the next Bond in such a great mood.

I really liked Tenet. I think that Christopher Nolan probably really enjoys making this sort of stuff and would admit that it’s all supposed to be a bit of fun, unlike some of his slightly more po-faced predecessors. It all looked very nice and I like that “Does this make sense? Actually, I don’t know what the fuck’s going on now. Er, ok, ah yes, right, he’s actually that bloke”, internal monologue.

Also, I like things that reveal more on subsequent viewings - Primer being perhaps the archetype of the genre, i.e. quite-but-not-too-intelligent films that middle-aged men (who claim to be cinephiles because they’ve got a DVD of In the Mood for Love in the attic but given a choice between Superbad and Andrei Rublev they’d almost certainly opt for McLovin, although they’ve watched Bait and Beau Travail, and who possibly put Alphaville on their iPad before going to Font but ended up watching Ghostbusters and John Wick instead) can then mansplain to their children dropping in references to Latin palindromic word squares (that they just looked up on Wikipedia)...

cowboyhat

• forum hero

I really liked Tenet. I think that Christopher Nolan probably really enjoys making this sort of stuff and would admit that it’s all supposed to be a bit of fun, unlike some of his slightly more po-faced predecessors. It all looked very nice and I like that “Does this make sense? Actually, I don’t know what the fuck’s going on now. Er, ok, ah yes, right, he’s actually that bloke”, internal monologue.

Also, I like things that reveal more on subsequent viewings - Primer being perhaps the archetype of the genre, i.e. quite-but-not-too-intelligent films that middle-aged men (who claim to be cinephiles because they’ve got a DVD of In the Mood for Love in the attic but given a choice between Superbad and Andrei Rublev they’d almost certainly opt for McLovin, although they’ve watched Bait and Beau Travail, and who possibly put Alphaville on their iPad before going to Font but ended up watching Ghostbusters and John Wick instead) can then mansplain to their children dropping in references to Latin palindromic word squares (that they just looked up on Wikipedia)...

OOH Primer...

Living in a flat, no attic so they're still taking up space on shelves for all to see. 2046 tho...

Also, Superbad is really fucking funny. I watched it the other day, vetting for a tweenager. (No not yet). Its brilliant.

Yossarian

• forum hero
The thing is, I would argue that Primer has a more sophisticated plot than any Nolan film. It's obvs pretty convoluted (though there's a great timeline kicking around somewhere) but if you accept the theory of the machine it all makes perfect sense. Big budget films so often seem to use spectacular cinematic window dressing to try to cover various plot holes or things that don't add up. I think it would be terrifically impressive if it was a FilmFour funded independent, but as a $7000 film shot mostly on short ends by a director who also acted / wrote / composed the music it's awesome.

Pity he's not done much since...

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Yeah natch i had a look at IMDB earlier; what happen to that guy? Clearly a talent.

crzylgs

• stalker
Interesting to hear that about The Thin Red Line, it's been a long time since I last watched it but I remember it being utterly tedious!

I was a little shocked when I started playing it and noticed the 2hrs50min running time... but personally found it anything but tedious. I'm a sucked for a bit of teasing though so  :shrug:

Yossarian

• forum hero
Yeah natch i had a look at IMDB earlier; what happen to that guy? Clearly a talent.

He made Upstream Colour which is interesting but weirder. I think he’s had various things which have made it part of the way and then fizzled out.

crzylgs

• stalker
I was going to post this in one of the Trump / political threads but that isn't really my scene and although it's a fantastic quote and as relevant as ever, it is probably more fun here:

'People want leadership Mr President and in the absence of genuine leadership they will listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership, they are so thirsty for it they will crawl through the desert to a mirage and when they discover there is no water they will drink the sand.'

Guess the film? No Google-cheating. Bonus points for the actor delivering speech and writer of film in question.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Blimey, I've no idea on that one - wild guess, but Independence Day?!

Few good films on iPlayer at the moment, presumably leftover from Halloween. The Shining is there, and also Ghost Stories, which I watched the other day.

Written by and starring Andy Nyman, who is part of the team that Derren Brown works with. Has Paul Whitehouse in it too. A lot scarier / creepier than I'd assumed it'd be, and has a good twist.

crzylgs

• stalker
Not Independence Day but good guess! I won't give it away yet, just in case someone else wants to have a stab.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal