UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1135886 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
We watched Uncut Gems last night. It was great.
I found it exhausting after 30 minutes and that was enough.

Ditto, it was far too anxiety inducing to be enjoyable, and by that point you could already see the direction it was heading in!

JamieG

• forum hero
Wife and I watched Knives Out. Modern take on the Agatha Christy whodunnit. Really excellent. Got a few Wes Anderson vibes from it, great story (with good twists) and genuine funny bits. Also has Daniel Craig doing a outrageous southern drawl.  Highly recommend if you like murder mysteries.

JJP

• addict
Just watched the trailor - looks good and def added to the watch list! 

JamieG

• forum hero
Wife and I watched Palm Springs recently. Very good Sundance-y romantic comedy with a ground hog day time loop element.

Horses for courses; I didn't like Palm Springs at all. Similarly, I recently enjoyed Uncut Gems, but my wife really disliked it.

That's interesting Andy. What didn't work for you?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Article about a great movie I've not seen for a while:
https://www.newstatesman.com/children-men-alfonso-cuaron-2006-apocalypse-coronavirus

If you've not seen it, it's brilliant.

Duma

• forum hero
Ah, I fucking love that film

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Strangely just read an article today about box office flops that have since been called great works, and this was one of them, and one of the few I agreed with. Great film.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Started watching Uncut Gems wondering what all the fuss was about. Now it's finished and I have to wait for the adrenaline to settle before I can go to bed. Great film.

NSFW  spoiler:
Aren't the two gangsters sealed into the shop at the end? Who will buzz them out?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
And this too.... don’t look if you’ve not seen it as it’s a Spoiler.

NSFW  :
In the closing shot, the camera does a panning close up on Adam Sandler’s face and the bullet appears to be protruding from his cheekbone, a-la Serpico (Pacino cop movie from the 70’s) I said to W “He’s still alive!”. I think he didn’t die

TobyD

• forum hero
Any studio Ghibli fans out there may appreciate this https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/08/studio-ghibli-anime-best-food-scenes.html
Nice, short read and a good way of looking at their movies. 

Has anyone been to a cinema post lockdown yet? I'm keen to see Tenet, as much because I miss the cinema experience as anything,  but it does look promising. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
It looks cool, but not sure i'm comfortable with risks.

I may be a bit late to the party, but this looks like a good selection of films, a bit different to the usual Netflix / Prime offerings

https://mubi.com/

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Booksellers - a documentary about rare and antiquarian booksellers in the US. A film about books and booksellers. What’s not to like? Really great.  On the usual streaming platforms.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Has anyone been to a cinema post lockdown yet?

we went to see Pinocchio at the Odeon Luxe in Durham last week

great film (ymmv) - cinema well organised and we felt safe

not everyone will like the film, but it gave us as a family a lot to talk about - the history of the original story, what was being said, the makeup (!), dubbing vs subtitles, what was funny, scary stuff in "fairytales"

it was great for everyone to get lost in the cinema experience and have some good laughs
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:57:44 pm by lagerstarfish »

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

I may be a bit late to the party, but this looks like a good selection of films, a bit different to the usual Netflix / Prime offerings

https://mubi.com/

We've been on Mubi for a couple of years. Brilliant selection from the downright weird, to the "film festival winners that you never get a chance to see". Definitely a thought provoking lineup, but often not ideal for "casual midweek watching".

TobyD

• forum hero

Of catching coranovirus? Minimal in a cinema I think. Must be one of the safest possible things you can do. Having said that I have no idea if you have any reason to be particularly circumspect.
The risk of paying a lot of money for it is noticeably higher! Although I have noticed that vue are only charging 4.99 a head for movies as an introductory offer to get people back

JamieG

• forum hero
Unfortunately two American epidemiologists don't think it is a good idea to go to the cinema at the moment.

“Short of renting out an entire theater, which is obviously not an option for most of us, there is no scenario in which going to a movie theater is a good idea,” says Dr. Anne W. Rimoin, professor of epidemiology and director of the Center For Global And Immigrant Health at the University Of California, Los Angeles. Her sentiments are echoed by Dr. Abdul El-Sayed: “It’s just about the last thing I’d do right now,” says the physician and epidemiologist, who is also a former city health commissioner"

https://film.avclub.com/please-don-t-go-to-a-movie-theater-it-s-just-about-th-1844756993

tomtom

• forum hero
Maybe if the windows were open...

😂

or more constructively if they had some data on the fresh air rates added by their AC system...

SA Chris

• forum hero
That was the same thing I read, or a separate article referencing it.

gme

• forum hero
Both my kids have been on separate occasions and said it was fine. Loads of space, clean and orderly. Far less crowded than your average shop or pub.

I wouldn't have an issue going. I am not a regular cinema goer anyway and when i do i usually find them half empty anyway, other than the fact your inside i cant see how it would be a risk if guidelines are followed.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
Both my kids have been on separate occasions and said it was fine. Loads of space, clean and orderly. Far less crowded than your average shop or pub.
You don't hang around in a shop with the same people for 2-3 hours though, and given the reported outbreaks linked to pubs I wouldn't take 'not as bad as a pub' as a recommendation.

The biggest screen at our local Vue has 360 seats. Ok, they're reducing capacity, spacing out groups etc. but with the current estimated infection rate in the community the chance of someone in an auditorium that size at quarter capacity having Covid-19 would be ~5%. I'm not comfortable with a 5% chance of sitting in an enclosed space for 2-3 hours with someone infected, and not because of the risk to me (the estimated hospitalisation and fatality rates for my age group are pretty small) but because I then wouldn't be happy to visit my parents afterwards. Yes, everyone's supposed to wear a mask, but you can take it off to eat and drink and I reckon enforcement of it would be about as good as on an average Tui flight from Zante...

If I was a massive cinephile, my viewpoint might be different as I'd value the experience more. If I had a higher risk occupation, then the risk of a cinema visit might seem minimal compared to the risk of going to work. For me it would be the riskiest thing in terms of Covid I'd have done since March and I don't value the pay-off for that risk enough.

TobyD

• forum hero
Unfortunately two American epidemiologists don't think it is a good idea to go to the cinema at the moment.

I just don't buy this. They're limited to ⅓ capacity, everyone has to wear masks, everyone is sat down doing nothing, everyone faces the same way... At some point you have to ask what are you willing to do?
I understand if you have a condition which means you're at increased risk but otherwise, I can't see it's much more 'risky' than leaving the house at all.
The only thing that's stopped me going to see Tenet the other day was than its really long and I was feeling a bit sleepy!

SA Chris

• forum hero
I always refer to this article for my understanding of the risks (you could call it my tenet :)).

The aircon in the restaurant section is my chief cause for concern. Way more risk involved than "leaving the house" or moving round a supermarket.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

I'm relatively low risk, but have relatives I see on a weekly basis who are in higher risk categories, and I'd hate to be the one responsible for them getting ill.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Re: risk of going to the pictures: what Nutty said.

But. This rings true:
If I was a massive cinephile, my viewpoint might be different as I'd value the experience more. If I had a higher risk occupation, then the risk of a cinema visit might seem minimal compared to the risk of going to work.

And then Toby (massive cinephile!) confirms it to be true!

I just don't buy this. They're limited to ⅓ capacity, everyone has to wear masks, everyone is sat down doing nothing, everyone faces the same way... At some point you have to ask what are you willing to do?
I understand if you have a condition which means you're at increased risk but otherwise, I can't see it's much more 'risky' than leaving the house at all.
The only thing that's stopped me going to see Tenet the other day was than its really long and I was feeling a bit sleepy!

This is why it's so futile to be overly judgemental of others. We all have things that we're prepared to break the rules for. The riskiest thing I've done is to have a friend stay for a weekend, during which we carshared to crags. But climbing is the thing I value above almost anything else.

The riskiest thing my parents have done is have close physical contact with their two grandchildren.

Everybody has a price.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
but otherwise, I can't see it's much more 'risky' than leaving the house at all.

Come on Toby, there are thousands of things you can do that involve leaving the house that put you at less risk of getting Covid than sitting in a large air conditioned box with other people for 3+ hours.

If going to the cinema falls under your ‘worth it/not worth it’ risk line then that’s fine but there’s no point in pretending it’s the same risk as going out for a walk (for example).

gme

• forum hero
You don't hang around in a shop with the same people for 2-3 hours though, and given the reported outbreaks linked to pubs I wouldn't take 'not as bad as a pub' as a recommendation.

The biggest screen at our local Vue has 360 seats. Ok, they're reducing capacity, spacing out groups etc. but with the current estimated infection rate in the community the chance of someone in an auditorium that size at quarter capacity having Covid-19 would be ~5%. I'm not comfortable with a 5% chance of sitting in an enclosed space for 2-3 hours with someone infected, and not because of the risk to me (the estimated hospitalisation and fatality rates for my age group are pretty small) but because I then wouldn't be happy to visit my parents afterwards. Yes, everyone's supposed to wear a mask, but you can take it off to eat and drink and I reckon enforcement of it would be about as good as on an average Tui flight from Zante...

If I was a massive cinephile, my viewpoint might be different as I'd value the experience more. If I had a higher risk occupation, then the risk of a cinema visit might seem minimal compared to the risk of going to work. For me it would be the riskiest thing in terms of Covid I'd have done since March and I don't value the pay-off for that risk enough.

I obviously sit at the opposite end of the spectrum to you with this (i am happy to go to the pub, restaurants, trains etc)  but looking at the figures for Tennet it appears lots of people agree with me and were happy to go. 

More on topic both my kids, one of which is a proper cinephile, though Tennet was the best thing they have seen in years.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal