UKBouldering.com

Short sport sought (Read 13093 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 02:57:54 pm
OK this year I am going to give sport climbing a proper go. I think I've realised what the problem is. I have no endurance, and no desire to develop endurance either. Also I consider sport climbing to be safe and require no psychological input (yes I know this is wrong but hey-ho I'm too old to change now).  So I need to be selective in my route picking, going for short bouldery routes that are well bolted. Sadly I know practicaly nothing about sport routes so am looking for suggestions. As my current best sport grade is a woeful 7a I am after suggestions in the 7b (realistic) to 7c (optimistic) to 8b (away with the fairies) range. Please make these suggestion good as this is make or break season for me and limestone, so I have to enjoy myself. Remember short, bouldery, well bolted routes (preferably with a short walk-in).
Oh yeah I'm talking Peak, Yorkshire and Lancashire sort of area. Though I would entertain suggestions from around the UK for summer trips, and even Costa Blanca for a holiday.
Cheers
Nik

P.S. Currently thinking that Salar at Rubicon looks like the right sort of thing (despite the first bolt looking a tad high). Any thoughts?

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 03:34:29 pm
harry tuttle heating engineer 7b+ g-spot giggleswick south.
stuff on the nook in cheedale if its dry.
begineers wall 7b+
stuff on middle to r/h side of catwalk at malham.
scout crag near kendal has a bunch of routes 3 or 4 bolts long.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#2 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 04:09:34 pm
Salar is apparently very easy for the grade, but I still haven't done it (and I don't think it's very easy!). Why not just stick to some longer boulder problems... the joy of sport climbing (ie. getting pumped!) but without having to clip or use a rope!  ;)

Scouse D

• forum hero
#3 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 04:16:49 pm
Beginners Wall 7b+ and Fossil Wall 7c both short, good, steep and next to each other in blackwell dale.

nik at work

• forum hero
#4 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 04:26:03 pm
Good suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Uncle I could stick to bouldering but I feel that I need to give sport climbing a fair go. Thus far I have dismissed it (and limestone in general) as pointless rubbish, however this is from a position of extremely limited experience. As such I have considered my limitations and decided that the best way to give sport climbing the greatest chance of gaining favour in my eyes is to adopt an extreme selective process. As I stated above it is make or break time for sport climbing and myself. I assume there must be something good about it, but thus far I have no idea what...

dave

#5 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 05:41:50 pm
i will sound like a broken record but beginners wall 7b+ has to be a good starter - its 3 bolts long (but sustained), 30 second from the road in a nice litte spot, and you won't feel shit or intimidated cos unlike the tor there won't be loads of 8c climbers knocking about. fossil wall is equally good 7c.

wild in me 7c at the tor is a good crimpy one, ditto this is the sea 7c+ (going on 7a) at the cornice. there that's me exhausted my sport route recomendations.

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 06:13:33 pm
Ill second wild in me.
Uncle - It certainly isnt a soft tick if you go for the crimp method. (The slap is probably a lot easier but couldnt seem to move once i did it)
Dangerous Bro's is a nice crimpy (very bouldery) 8a.
At kilnsey theres pantomime which is bouldery with a bit of jug hauling at the end 7b+
Ground effect, bouldery start followed by a tricky groove followed by gug hauling.
Smooth torquer 7a+ along the right hand end is bouldery and v.easy.

irish si

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 06:51:24 pm
Eat the rich 7c+, on water cum jolly, is good, three bolts long about V5? (and really only 7b+ come on john w??)

the rock is good too.  Have a look at the inch test to the right, short and about 8a/+. or the Inch 'worm' as Buoux 8c told me it was called.

dave

#8 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 07:25:27 pm
Ill second wild in me.

you should go for the lead, its not that runout......(sorry).

Eat the rich 7c+, on water cum jolly, is good, three bolts long about V5?

fuck i'd seen that in the guide and fancied it. will get over there ASAP.

Doylo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 08:31:12 pm
Eat the rich 7c+, on water cum jolly, is good, three bolts long about V5?

i'll second that, is a reasonable route and maybe 7c (just). If you fancy going a bit further a field nik get yourself to the Eglwysyg valley. you don't need hardly any stamina for Dinbren,its pretty vertical and technical (and short) and theres loadsza routes up to 8b.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#10 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 08:58:20 pm
Andy Harris said the Inch test was the living end I think, although I'm sure he said the difficulties were confined to just a couple of moves.

I enjoyed Brachiation dance at WCJ Cornice. Think thats 7b? Rattle and hump is a lovely little route and a good introduction to the 8th grade. As everyones already said beginners wall I wont go on about other than to register suprise that its 7b+ - I honestly thought it was 7a+. Theres a really sharp hold on wild in me that puts me off a bit but the bit of headwall above is fun. And when you are done there, go and do chimes to the belay at the break over the lip. Lovely, short and bouldery.

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 09:07:06 pm
its alrite if you dont do it the lanky bastard way and therefore dont have to slap for the razor edge!

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#12 Re: Short sport sought
May 16, 2006, 09:36:41 pm
The embankment in cheedale could be the place you need. Lots of ok 7's like Hungry eyes at 7a+, Stugeon in the cuboard at easy 7c(crux at the bottom, and stone the loach 7c. many other routes of similar grades and not very long.

the only problem is the walk up the hill to get out!

Palomides

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 09:18:10 am
How about Why Me (7c) and Entree (8a) in Cheedale?

Both short(ish) and well bolted, in a really nice location. The difficulties on Why Me are shortlived and Entree looks like it eases a lot after the start (could be wrong about this - I couldn''t get off the ground :-[)

Oh, and the walk-in is easy too.

The walk OUT might be a little harder though...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#14 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 11:00:25 am
Malham: Hartley Hare 7a+ (short crux), Toad of Beck Hall 7b+ (two short cruxes), and Le Maximum 7c+ (hard start, easy finish)
Chapel Head: Mangousine Scatouflange 7a (short crux), Electric Warrior 7b (short route) or Zantom Phone  (short very bouldery crux) 7c+
Pen Trywn: The Refrain 7a+ (short crux), Tomorrow People 7c (short route, 2 cruxes with a monster rest between) or Muscle Beach 8a (bouldery crux over roof)

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 11:14:04 am
Will have to get to Chapel Head...

What's Brachiation Dance like?

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#16 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 01:09:58 pm
Eat the rich 7c+, on water cum jolly, is good, three bolts long about V5? (and really only 7b+ come on john w??)

the rock is good too.  Have a look at the inch test to the right, short and about 8a/+. or the Inch 'worm' as Buoux 8c told me it was called.

Si, you have it all wrong. When talking about the 'Inch worm' I was refering to your manhood. The inch test on the other hand, is something which is short and stiff for 8a.

dave

#17 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 04:59:47 pm

What's Brachiation Dance like?

i've been on this once but not done it. its very steep on massive blocky holds appart from a tricky slab start. its pretty pumpy so wouldn't have thought its a great recomendation for boulderers with no stamina (though i think theres supposed to be a kneebar rest on it). All the holds on it are way too big for most boulderers to be familiar with - i certainly don't know what to do with holds this big.

nik at work

• forum hero
#18 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 05:02:35 pm
Cheers gents, I will report back with tales of glorious success in a couple of weeks (probably...)

grimer

• forum hero
#19 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 05:03:37 pm
"i certainly don't know what to do with holds this big.

Get pumped shitless on them?

dave

#20 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 05:33:30 pm
funnily enough that's the best i could come up with anall.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 06:07:43 pm
ROFL, nice one, got a mate who wanted a 7b-ish project for the summer and recommended Br-Dance cos it looks kinda cool.

Anyway, nik, what about some esoteric horror on the slate - The Medium or something?

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 06:31:04 pm
Andi - from your tails of malham i dont think its the route for you.

I wouldnt want to kneebar in that blocky shite that big bit will come out sometime soon.

Duma

• forum hero
#23 Re: Short sport sought
May 17, 2006, 10:31:44 pm
For holiday ticks you need the promenade at swanage - particuarly 'Garage Mechanic' 7c 15 - odd foot of Font 7bish (don't quote me, it was years ago) and then a 30 foot bumble to the belay. Also 'Rise of the Robots' 7b+ - 30 foot of 50 degree wall...

andy_e

• forum hero
#24 Re: Short sport sought
May 18, 2006, 08:25:28 am
Bouldery 7a-7b recommendations?

I've been told that Hartley Hare is a good one to do, I'll try that next time I'm there... any others?

p.s. sorry for the hijack ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal