UKBouldering.com

Anybody had this wrist problem? (Read 2477 times)

Akasteve

Anybody had this wrist problem?
February 14, 2006, 07:59:35 pm
The symptoms are: Pain in both wrists( where base of thumb seems to connect), especially when mantel shelfing, press ups, getting up off floor etc infact any movement that bends thumbs or hand back slightly.
Right wrist had problem first, left wrist followed on probably due to overcompensating for other wrist. Also my grip seems to have got weaker aswell on pinch type holds.
Had a lay off from climbing for a few weeks and it improved, but as soon as i started again it gradually got worse, does it sound like Tendonitis? If so i'll look up the best treatment but i'm not packing in climbing and starting ' another sport to keep fit, like swimming' as a lot of websites say.

FatWrinkly

#1 Anybody had this wrist problem?
February 15, 2006, 01:21:21 pm
Hi Steve, is there any possibility this is related to the Carpal Tunnel op, where the ligament is cut?

Akasteve

#2 Anybody had this wrist problem?
February 15, 2006, 08:45:22 pm
No, i felt it coming on in my right wrist before the CTS in my left hand.
I put it down to topping out on climbs in my usual blind panic sort of way.

I think i started climbing too early after my CTS Op, made my right wrist worse compensating for the left hand and then while compensating for this with my newly healed left hand i tweaked that tendon also.
If you see what i mean?!!??
If it is tendonitis anyway, i haven't been to the docs about it as if i stop climbing for a bit my wrists definately improve, which if i say that to my unsympathetic docs they will tell me not to climb, which i suppose i shouldn't.
After reading some of the replies on the other threads it looks like tendonitis goes thru' several healing stages and if disturbed during this process you go back to square one, i think i've just got back there!!

Akasteve

#3 Anybody had this wrist problem?
February 15, 2006, 08:53:13 pm
Oh yeah, as for Powerballs i've got one as a toy and in theory it will improve your grip, help your wrists heal etc as it says but holding onto a can of beans and twisting your hand round and round would probably do the same.

It's a good toy tho'.

Come to think of it i think i've just invented a new toy, anybody interested in buying a POWERCANOFBEANS (TM), they are really great for your wrists, build power and can help you recover from carpel tunnel syndrome :-)

Paz

• junky
#4 Anybody had this wrist problem?
February 16, 2006, 03:49:18 pm
I feel your pain, but it's sharp violent movements - mantles but also some slap moves where you whack the hold harder than usual - that bring it on for me, and I get no loss of pinch strength.  I'm convinced it goes away for me when I extend my grip and raise my wrist to get a pump on the back of my forearm, so does that mean it's due to muscle imbalance?  You might not need to lay out for one of them fancy Metolius stretchy ball things, but they are good.  I've used an elastic band or a carved up inner tube to get the same pump, or even just doing lots of reps of the movement with no resistance at all seemed alright.

Little Paul

• addict
#5 Anybody had this wrist problem?
February 16, 2006, 06:23:52 pm
I have had this problem a few times when i have been climbing problems with lots of slopers in them.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#6 Anybody had this wrist problem?
February 16, 2006, 08:13:29 pm
i get pain from flexing my wrists back too but its more the wrist joint that hurts, especially doing things lik daft hand stands and manteling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal