UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1149515 times)

SamT

• forum hero
#3675 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 29, 2022, 04:35:25 pm

Yeah - actually enjoyed that and I struggle to get excited about 'climber climbs very hard sport route after a long campaign type videos.

I thought Jerrys watch to be a bit garish  :-\.

Doylo

• forum hero
#3676 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 29, 2022, 05:54:17 pm
Jerry's inclusion has more relevance than Gresh's given that he did a similarly landmark route a few metres to the left. Not that this is touched upon. They're obviously in there cos they're famous and can spin a decent soundbite.  Understandable to maximise the appeal but as said a bit weird no female commentary which would have balanced  the famous old-bloke- explaining-vibe a bit.  like Pete said it does a good job capturing Emmas journey, never meant to be a deep dive into the route which would have less mass appeal.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3677 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 30, 2022, 12:31:12 am
Not that I didn't enjoy it, but personally I thought the whole thing seemed driven by mass appeal. A fair aim for a film, but maybe not one that will win lots of people round on here?

The thing that actually stood out to me the most was when Steve was described as "Britain's Best Sport Climber". Not that he hasn't achieved the hardest grades - it's certainly a justifiable claim (ignoring Will's recent efforts) - but that seems very contrary to the way people are typically described in the climbing world. Not sure you'd even get Adam Ondra starring in a video and then being described as the world's best, even though nobody is gonna argue that. Would have been much more comfortable with, at the very least, "One of Britain's top sport climbers".

To me, a beauty of climbing is its incomparable nature, how the range of styles and subjectivity of grades make declaring a "Best..." nigh on impossible. I imagine people who don't climb much would maybe not share or appreciate this sentiment, hence the inclusion in the film, but it really jarred when I saw it.

Otherwise, the shots of Emma in Pembroke stood out as really good, and the rest was shot well too. It's a good, enjoyable watch.

remus

• forum hero
#3678 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 30, 2022, 07:41:30 am

The thing that actually stood out to me the most was when Steve was described as "Britain's Best Sport Climber". Not that he hasn't achieved the hardest grades - it's certainly a justifiable claim (ignoring Will's recent efforts) - but that seems very contrary to the way people are typically described in the climbing world. Not sure you'd even get Adam Ondra starring in a video and then being described as the world's best, even though nobody is gonna argue that. Would have been much more comfortable with, at the very least, "One of Britain's top sport climbers".

I don't think it's very British but it was certainly true (and pretty uncontroversial) at the time that Steve was the best sport climber in the UK. Will had 'only' climbed 9a by the time Emma climbed big bang.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3679 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 30, 2022, 09:33:30 am
I don't think it's very British but it was certainly true (and pretty uncontroversial) at the time that Steve was the best sport climber in the UK. Will had 'only' climbed 9a by the time Emma climbed big bang.

I do agree, I wasn't arguing the validity of the claim, just how unusual it was.

Maybe the word I was looking for was British-ness then. Now I think of it, I could maybe see it happening in a reel rock, or something similarly faux-dramatic.

Ged

• junky
#3680 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 30, 2022, 12:50:16 pm
Not that I didn't enjoy it, but personally I thought the whole thing seemed driven by mass appeal. A fair aim for a film, but maybe not one that will win lots of people round on here?

To me, a beauty of climbing is its incomparable nature, how the range of styles and subjectivity of grades make declaring a "Best..." nigh on impossible. I imagine people who don't climb much would maybe not share or appreciate this sentiment, hence the inclusion in the film, but it really jarred when I saw it.

Otherwise, the shots of Emma in Pembroke stood out as really good, and the rest was shot well too. It's a good, enjoyable watch.

There's a film about ondra that starts with honnold stating that "Adam ondra is the best climber in the world, by a long way. He's a lot better than everyone else"

edshakey

• forum abuser
#3681 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 30, 2022, 05:26:55 pm
There's a film about ondra that starts with honnold stating that "Adam ondra is the best climber in the world, by a long way. He's a lot better than everyone else"

Sure, but that's his opinion, as opposed to a title when Adam appears on screen.

Tbh I'm pretty sure I got far more carried away writing that than I actually felt about it - I probably only thought "that's a bit odd" when I first saw it. But might as well let loose when bored on a Saturday night  ;D

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#3682 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
February 14, 2022, 07:37:06 pm

Anyone else following this adventure by Seb Berthe and his friends?

Sounds like a fantastic act of expression and imagination.

A few people have commented on the relative environmental impact - a group of people sailing a boat across the Atlantic, then hiring a bus for the drive from Mexico to Yosemite, vs flying.

Sorry, I think it's an amazing effort, and those trying to put down the achievement seem to be arguing for the sort of blasé nonchalance and self-absorbed excuses used to justify not changing our habits  ;)

I would have thought the relative impact is considerably lower, and then there's the creative way of helping influence the way we think about our "adventuring".  :2thumbsup:

Thoughts anyone?

Sorry, wasn't quite sure where to put it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 07:43:07 pm by DAVETHOMAS90 »

Duncan campbell

• junky
#3683 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
February 15, 2022, 06:58:55 am
Wow not heard of this (or had time to watch it yet) but this sounds v v impressive!

Sailing is obvs the most environmentally friendly option for travelling surely!?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#3684 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
February 15, 2022, 07:24:52 am
Yes, that's what I thought.

Sounds like an amazing adventure.

Maybe "splash board" refers to puking up while trying to do the green circuit in a big swell.

Would really love to sail more, but suffer badly  :sick: to begin with.

Sounds like they're in recon mode, preparing for Dawn Wall.

Amazing, and hats off to them regardless of the outcome.

Bradders

• forum hero
#3685 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
February 20, 2022, 12:11:48 pm

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#3686 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
February 25, 2022, 06:28:15 pm
The BMC have put the film about Emma Twyford's ascent of Big Bang up on youtube. Nice flick if you haven't seen it before.

This film is just sort of, terrible really. It isn't worth me deconstructing, some of the points have been mentioned. As acknowledged at its heart is a missed opportunity. Sort of shocking that it won the Kendall big prize, I guess that was more a vote for Emma's achievement.

One thing someone mentioned; that they've somehow chosen mass appeal. Too much credit in that idea. I think its as good as they could do, and could not have contrived to take any particular position.

And as someone else mentioned; almost from the first frame all I could think about was Jerrys gold Daytona. Both the physical embodiment and logical conclusion of the mansplaining thats been referred to.

Duma

• forum hero
#3687 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 31, 2022, 10:18:47 am

Sean Bailey's astonishing 2021.
Didn't realise how close he'd got to flashing 9a+

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3688 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 31, 2022, 11:09:50 am

Sean Bailey's astonishing 2021.
Didn't realise how close he'd got to flashing 9a+

Really enjoyed this, and the flash attempt footage was great

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#3689 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 31, 2022, 10:23:20 pm
That was great!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3690 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2022, 08:12:25 pm

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3691 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 03, 2022, 09:42:34 pm
That's a great film, always love these Swiss multipitch ones, even though it falls well outside of my personal climbing! I know it's stating the obvious, but what a beautiful country.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3692 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2022, 08:04:03 am
Some beautiful vistas when it is not raining...

Nevertheless I am well psyched on going back to Wendenstöcke. The best rock ever. Une falaise de oufe, as Cedric would say.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3693 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2022, 10:06:21 am
Lovely pictures, fabulous looking places, Wendenstöcke is amazing and if anyone has any interest in long routes they should go there, but there is a reason the countryside is so emerald green! As Roger Schaeli said about Odyssee, you need a "lucky summer" (it took him 17 attempts to redpoint the crux pitch). It's not surprising it was the only one Lachat didn't manage despite having the smallest number attached.

The vintage footage and interviews with the Remys was fun.

remus

• forum hero
#3694 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 10, 2022, 02:43:47 pm

Duma

• forum hero
#3695 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 10, 2022, 05:36:44 pm
Quality foot shuffling vids

Kingy

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3697 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 12, 2022, 09:49:27 am
Some beautiful vistas when it is not raining...

Doing the drive to Grimselpass from Cham, to sit in the car in the rain waiting to see if we will get Motorhead done was almost an annual pilgrimage.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#3698 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 03, 2022, 12:29:33 pm
Thought this was superb

Friends Of The Grit | A Peak District Climbing Odyssey

andy moles

• forum abuser
#3699 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
May 04, 2022, 09:05:42 am
I enjoyed that too.

He does look a bit like some of the classical depictions of Odysseus.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal