UKBouldering.com

Most overrated bands/artists (Read 122055 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#350 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
January 28, 2011, 04:41:19 pm
Well, i thought I did. Either way, shite.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#351 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
January 28, 2011, 04:46:11 pm
Vampire Weekend are totally overrated.

fried

• forum hero
#352 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
January 28, 2011, 06:14:33 pm
Pretty much every 'indie' band in the last 20 years. They fall into two camps, the ones that rip off Wire and Gang of Four and the others that rip off the Jesus and Mary Chain/ My Bloody Valentine etc.

They all look the same, have practically the same names and all suck. I can't even be bothered to list all their names.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks AC:DC are crap.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#353 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
January 28, 2011, 09:21:31 pm
From what I've read on this thread you're all mainly claiming that anybody famous that you don't like is overrated which rather proves this is something of a subjective issue. I'll agree a lot of the bands/artists in here are over-hyped but on the other hand most of them are pop acts and I suspect they wouldn't rate themselves that highly in musical terms anyway. Coldplay & U2 however are deserving of every bit of crap that gets thrown at them!

PS I saw the original ACDC with Bon Scott up front when I was 14-15 and I can tell you they were seriously shit-hot in those days - their live version of 'Baby Please Don't Go' is probably still the best live track I have ever heard (along with Midnight Oil's 'Bus to Bondi".) I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for Back in Black after Scott died but other than that? Not much.

fried

• forum hero
#354 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
February 11, 2011, 04:49:58 pm
Bob Marley

I don't  even dislike him or his music particularly, just the unbelievable reverence that some of his more well known material is given in some places. There even used to be a dub bar in the Spiti valley ( I forget which town) which had painting of all the members of the Marley family (even some that I'm sure don't exist), this bar had one cassette 'Legend' which they played on a continuous loop, a bit like being a first year student in 1984.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#355 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 10:55:42 am
Am I missing some hidden depths with Arcade Fire? Just seems a bit dull to me. And the lead singer looks like the Kurgen.

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#356 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 11:42:36 am
Am I missing some hidden depths with Arcade Fire? Just seems a bit dull to me. And the lead singer looks like the Kurgen.

:agree:

Tried to like them but apart from "Rococo" which seems to be strangely addictive I just can't see what the fuss is about.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#357 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 03:26:20 pm
What about No Cars Go:

I'd forgive any amount of [alleged] subsequent dullness for a band that can produce a song like that.

chummer

• forum abuser
#358 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 04:09:34 pm
Just discovered this thread and thank the fucking Lord! The misses loves Muse, I fucking hate them, so fucking dramatic and yet so fucking tedious, she even tried to get me to go and see them with her....thank you for allowing me that. And Fanzfernaband shite, utter fucking drivel.

HOWEVER, lads. seriously, steady with the DC comments, they fucking rock, have always rocked and still rock from their core. I mean, we're not talking Bonjovi or Guns and Roses here, at least they live and breath rock, their lyrics aren't meant to be powerful, that kinda misses the point, if you cut them in half it would read 'rock'  :P. (Yes I know we're all entitled in this thread to say whatever and I fully agree that right but the DC, really! :o)

What about all that Slipknot shite, masks and utter shite music, what the fuck is that all about?

And who's that fucker who dresses like a twat and sings like a cunt....erm, looks like he's just stepped out of a London drama class...MIKA that's him. What a total cunt. I ever I was to be tortured just play his shite to me for more than 5 seconds. That's enough for now, I feel much better

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#359 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 04:13:39 pm
And who's that fucker who dresses like a twat and sings like a cunt....erm, looks like he's just stepped out of a London drama class...MIKA that's him. What a total cunt. I ever I was to be tortured just play his shite to me for more than 5 seconds. That's enough for now, I feel much better

You've just captured a large swathe of the popular music demographic there!

chris20

• menacing presence
#360 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 05:18:22 pm
Bob Marley

I don't  even dislike him or his music particularly, just the unbelievable reverence that some of his more well known material is given in some places.

:agree: albums like catch a fire was the real good stuff, but I would still put Lee scratch perry above Marley in god idol

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#361 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 06:46:57 pm

Here Here!

But while we're on the subject I've been thinking about it and I may be able to produce a considerably lengthy list but for now can I add Scouting For Girls, anything that's ever won a TV talent show (or even participated in one) and U-fucking-2 to the overrated pile please?

chummer

• forum abuser
#362 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 07:39:37 pm
Gotta agree with the U2 comment, i used to love'em years ago with 'War', 'Live Under a blood red sky' and all those early albums but since those they just make utter worthless toss, and don't even get me started on Bono and Clayton(??) the basist although i've always loved The Edge's little hats and his awesome name :P

chummer

• forum abuser
#363 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 07:40:59 pm
in fact U2  define the phase 'sold out' even if Bono did bring world peace with his glasses that try to hide the fact he's an old fucker now

underground

• forum hero
#364 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 18, 2011, 09:57:08 pm
in fact U2  define the phase 'sold out' even if Bono did bring world peace with his glasses that try to hide the fact he's an old fucker now

Don't get me fuckin started.. not on U2 mind, although having had an MRI scan with 'All that you can leave behind' on the earphones helped me to hate their recent shite..

What about the Manics? There was a song on radio recently and I was trying to work out if it was Robbie Williams or Mark Owen. Took me a while before I realised it was James Dean Bradfield I was hearing.

Disgusting from the band that brought us Generation Terrorists and The Holy Bible

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#365 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 19, 2011, 10:47:33 am
Am I missing some hidden depths with Arcade Fire? Just seems a bit dull to me.

WTF?

Stubbs

#366 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 19, 2011, 11:52:09 am
Kings of Leon are the modern day U2 equivalent (imo)

andy popp

• forum hero
#367 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 19, 2011, 12:10:46 pm
U2 have appeared so many times in this thread now ...

no reason not to nominate them again though.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#368 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 19, 2011, 01:09:43 pm
PS I saw the original ACDC with Bon Scott up front when I was 14-15 and I can tell you they were seriously shit-hot in those days - their live version of 'Baby Please Don't Go' is probably still the best live track I have ever heard (along with Midnight Oil's 'Bus to Bondi".) I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for Back in Black after Scott died but other than that? Not much.

Sorry to buck the trend but I'm with DaveC on this one about Bon Sott era AC/DC being pretty awesome, although Back in Black is generally counted as the biggest selling album of all time after Thriller I believe (49 vs 50 million copies shifted). Which brings me nicely on to Michael Jackson, most over rated oddball ever. 70s stuff was pretty good at the time, after that - tedious. And I was at school when Thriller came out so I can exactly remember how it sounded at the time. Not very exciting, I can tell you.

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
#369 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 20, 2011, 06:40:58 am

Here Here!

But while we're on the subject I've been thinking about it and I may be able to produce a considerably lengthy list but for now can I add Scouting For Girls, anything that's ever won a TV talent show (or even participated in one)
:agree:
And what about Bob Dylan; pretty well everything he has produced would be ideal as the music for an assisted suicide advert/promotion.

Duma

• forum hero
#370 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 20, 2011, 06:47:49 am
no.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#371 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 20, 2011, 10:50:13 am

And what about Bob Dylan; pretty well everything he has produced would be ideal as the music for an assisted suicide advert/promotion.
:worms:

Well if Dylan's name is allowed in here then there's plenty of room for Leonard Cohen! Great songwriter but somebody should remove his vocal chords so he can't inflict his miserable dirge-like delivery on the rest of us! Music to kill yourself to IMO.

chris20

• menacing presence
#372 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 20, 2011, 12:30:57 pm

:worms:

Well if Dylan's name is allowed in here then there's plenty of room for Leonard Cohen! Great songwriter but somebody should remove his vocal chords so he can't inflict his miserable dirge-like delivery on the rest of us! Music to kill yourself to IMO.

Completely disagree, Desire album isn’t the most upbeat album but I don’t think anyone else could do it as good as Dylan IMO.  Nina Simone does some great covers of Dylan’s stuff but I still don’t think they are as good as Dylan’s originals.  I agree that some of the stuff he has done recently has not been to my liking but his early stuff is genius

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#373 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 21, 2011, 12:52:44 pm
I agree that some of the stuff he has done recently has not been to my liking but his early stuff is genius

;)

chris20

• menacing presence
#374 Re: Most overrated bands/artists
March 21, 2011, 01:35:46 pm
I agree that some of the stuff he has done recently has not been to my liking but his early stuff is genius

;)

It would be a tough call whether it would be worse to have that playing in santa's grotto or Gary Glitter playing santa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal