UKBouldering.com

Woodwell's Anesthesia Buttress - No easy traversing please (Read 12728 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
If the person/s who keep traversing the Anesthesia buttress at Woodwell using the crimp hand holds of Anesthesia as footholds reads this... can they please stop! This problem is hard enough without somebody shafting up the holds by standing on them for the sake of a V0 traverse.

I suspect its the same fool who does the same thing on Toms Buttress without clean hunks of earth of their boots!

clm

• forum hero
You cannot say that.  it is an arrogant and elitist thing to say.  you do not own the butress.  traversing at a low grade is perfectly acceptable thing for any climber to do whether thay be punter or wad.  if the hold gets damaged so be it.  it will not have been damaged by dubious practices like toproping, abseiling or chipping but by wear and tear.  and if it gets muddy then tough.
your activities at the crag are no more justifiable than any one else just because they are harder.

Dave Westlake

• menacing presence
Shit, Greg, are you tryin to say that my tick of Anesthesia is invalid??

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
Brace yourselves people...

...I actually agree with Chapman on this :shock:

Sure it's elitist, but so what. All he's asking is for someone to stop spoiling a classic V13 traverse. There's absolutley loads and loads and loads of easier problems to do but not many V13s which is why they should be preserved as best as possible. It's not much to ask; for people to avoid doing one (shit) problem so another (much better) one can be saved. FFS it's not as if it's some uber brilliant V0. :roll:

Erm and i don't think Greg is asking this guy to stop from a purely selfish point of view. Chapman knows he ain't gonna be cranking out Anesthesia any time soon. :wink:

edit: but calling them a fool etc probably isn't going to help :roll:

clm

• forum hero
its possible that the person does not know they are trampling on the holds - the fact that v13  is rare will be irrelevant to someone whos limit is v2. i maintain that you cannot state that one person cannot climb their problem while another can climb theirs. the crags have open access to everyone and a muddy soled individual though slightly unthinking is not doing anything that any of us have not or do not do - prpbably warming up in their trainers.  any climber has the right to climb any piece of rock as long as the ethical guidelines established by concensus amongst the climbing community are not breached.
as i said before - if the hold is muddy then your gonna have to deal with it and wipe it.

chappers

• forum hero
"classic V13 traverse"
not so sure that it looks that good really

sharkey

• addict
Is it the one that  Gaskins lurches across in Stick it, have to agree the climbing  may well be hard but it  doesn't exactly look classic, it's about 3inches off the deck!!

dave

I'm with greg on this one.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
You can ask people to stop doing it but I doubt it will make much difference. Pete Balint went as far as publishing the request in the Sydney Bouldering Guide for people to stop traversing a particular section of Sissy because the start hand hold on a classic V9 was getting trashed. Now its polished as fuck so no-one really took much notice.

clm

• forum hero
spot on gruff

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Unless you are actually capable of climbing harder than V10 can you please stop walking past or near all the V10+ problems because you are making the problems harder by wearing away the ground under the sit starts. In fact it would be better for all 'real' climbers if you just stayed at home. Thanks very much.

Greg C

• forum hero
:huh:
I don't really think its a difficult concept - Stop doing one poor problem to preserve a much better problem. For those who don't rate Anesthesia... have you tried it to any extent? If not I suggest you don't comment until you have.

webbo

• forum hero
Maybe its Herr Brock getting his own back.

clm

• forum hero
greg you still have not got the point.
peopele are allowed to climb what they like when they like.
its not about the quality of one problem versus another, the difficulty of one problem versus another, the rarity of one problem verusus another.
its about people going out and enjoying the countryside in their own way when they want to
the person in question is only muddying some rock.  it would be equally annoying to find a problem with handholds and footholds completely caked in chalk to the point of being greasy and unusable.  in this situation what would you do?? i guess clean it off.
though thoughtless this scenario will happen in our sport due to its nature.  by all means politely ask someone to use clean shoes at woodwell.
it is not your place to ask someone (rudely) not to climb a particular problem.

Greg C

• forum hero
Thats your opinion. But I'm still going to ask.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
not sure what you're saying huffy...
(a) about people going on record about this,
(b) you've heard that before
(c) or are you saying something more subtle... like the DICK part of dictaphone being the prominent bit.   :wink:

who knows.

not like there's a lack of rock in the world is there?

Nigel

• forum hero
I think the really serious issue here is being skirted. Namely that people shouldn't be going near Gaskins problems at all, never mind making direct contact with them. You wouldn't piss on the cross or have a wank at Mecca would you? Its fucking sacrilege! Please view only from a safe distance, that includes you Greg.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
...or (d) none of the above.

A dictaphone dictates, which is what is happening here...'no easy traversing please'  

I understand what Gregs getting at here but it's wrong to expect someone whos jus started climbing to see why Anesthesia is any better than the trav they're doing. To them its logical to stand on the holds and to you it's logical to hold them. Even if you explained to them that it takes bags of time and effort to climb a nails v13, why should they stop? No one really has more authority than anyone else when it comes to climbing on rocks that have stood for thousands of years (sorry about the cliche!)

Perhaps i'm wrong?

No serious offence intended here Greg...i don't know you and i'm definately not interested in calling someone i've never met before a dick, not my scene.

Huffy

nik at work

• forum hero
Got to agree with Huffy.

Having said that could people please stop standing on the left hand handholds of the submergence traverse as they are becoming rather polished...  :lol:

AndyR

• forum hero
Quote from: "Nigel"
I think the really serious issue here is being skirted. Namely that people shouldn't be going near Gaskins problems at all, never mind making direct contact with them. You wouldn't piss on the cross or have a wank at Mecca would you? Its fucking sacrilege! Please view only from a safe distance, that includes you Greg.

Quite right - people should be restricting  themselves to a quick genuflection and a dozen hail marys.

Altogether now, 'Hail Mary, Holy mother of Gaskins, grant me the steely fingered power of the Lord G himself......'

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Having said that could people please stop standing on the left hand handholds of the submergence traverse as they are becoming rather polished...

No worries with that one - Dave has done it, which means it has been demoted from 'shit but hard' to 'too easy to bother muddyin your arse for'

Greg C

• forum hero
On a lighter note I have updated the Woodwell guide so its a little slicker and more in line with the Carrock mini guide style...

http://www.lakesbloc.co.uk/sei/s/1284/f70.pdf

chris

• menacing presence
its a tricky one is this...you cant ask someone to stop traversing the anesthesia bloc! You could wait for the guy to turn up, explain what you mean and point him in the right direction of some beter problems of a similar grade....eveyone wins? Climbings al about having fun..right?

By the way those topos are really good greg, hopefully will be checkingout the south lakes in more detail soon, keep up the good work

Graeme

• menacing presence
Bit off topic but whats the weather doing up there?
Will woodwell be dry at weekend?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal