UKBouldering.com

Weekend of Ultimate Dampness (Read 5849 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 04:21:20 pm
Satd'y was a lot of mileage for very little dry rock for me. Four crag visited fruitlessly before ending up at Burb North with everyone else in the world. Struggled lots on the Terrace and watched Ru and Stu Littlefella getting french all over La Terrace (crazy 8a link-up of the Terrace and classic B8 to it's right).Anyone else fair any better?
 Sunday got wetted off Earl and ended up at Bridey which was bo, if a little moist. Horror arete lived up to the hype. Crucifixtion is amazing, must go back and finish. Jerry's arete was good if a little sandy (effort to dave for fighting through the scripple and greeness on top).
 I hear good and bad stuff went down at Froggat. Any news on the injured?

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 04:34:49 pm
sat. went to curber,eagle stone,secret garden all piss wet.mother's pet sock were'nt bad.moved to stanage,tru north lot's of things were damp sloper trav etc.rim was bone dry but it was soooo windy i could fly my mat as a kite.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 04:40:24 pm
went to brimham on satdy, of all the places. piss wet. then went down to churnet on sunday which was a bit better still a bit late-autumn smeggy though. pity the fool

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 04:57:37 pm

dave

#4 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 05:40:48 pm
sat: went to etive slabs, lulworth cove and ceuse, all sopping wet. sunday tried smith rock and heuco, finally got a problem done at bellhagg.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#5 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 06:05:08 pm
Pass on Saturday afty - bone dry, did one of my projects.

Pass this afty - bone dry, didn't do one of my other projects, but did link through the entire crux section for the first time.

Looking sunny tommorrow, but gotta work.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 06:19:24 pm
Froggatt was great on sunday. Warm, sheltered and almost totally dry. Two up on Sole Power, plus a lot of E-points bagged (35 meself...)

And then the bloodbath started....
Many thanks to the guy with the first aid kit. Was a bit more use than the thwacking rag and sandpaper collection that fills the bottom of my bag.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 06:23:28 pm
Beat off hangover on Saturday :dancing:

Tried to change my opinion of Southern sanstone on Sunday by draggin my posse down to some of the class that is known as Harrisons and Eridge (Kent).  We didn't bother to put on our boots at harrisons cause it was wet and shit. Eridge looked proper bo...................................

..................but was infact kak. My mate Chee is on the classic 'Watch Tower' that should read 'Watch out for towering pile of crap.  I'm sure in summer it would be loads better (When I say better I mean dry but still very sandy to the touch). Thanks to Neil for the tour ( :D ). To top it off it took about 3 hours to get back to London with muchos swearing and a detour/shortcut to pick up the missus from Oxford Street.

All a bit damp really

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 07:52:44 pm
went to Almscliff on saturday: very wet at first but dried out in the afternoon (much to the delight of all the power-mongers pulling laps on the roof problems).  Main problem was the wind - much time spent chasing mats.  Too cold for me though - numb hands and feet.

Went to Caley on Sunday - dry (if a bit green), with quite nice conditions later in the day.  Bagged a fair few problems that I had not managed before (The Pinch, Pine Tree Arete, Cream Egg Eliminate).  May have to reconsider my winter ticklist....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 08:45:34 pm
Yup, Froggatt was great on Sunday, even considering two of the team ended up in A&E!

The sun was out and much climbing got done before two incidents bizarrely occurred within seconds of each other...

Not spoiling too many pub tales... suffice to say both were discharged by 7pm, 8C Kev with 4 stitches in his 'ead, and 9toes with an incredibly un-broken ankle, although he won't be walking on it for a while.

Hero of the day 1: Kev wasn't actually climbing when he was hurt, in excellent style he thru himself under a falling damsel in distress (who was fine) but in the process head butted a rock.

Hero of the day 2: As well as doing a sterling job of first aid, Nod's single handedly carried 9toes down to the road in the time it took others to run down on their own! Buy that 'ten men' a beer.

Lesson of the day: If your trying a highball, get yourself a Spanish spotter!

Nigel

• forum hero
#10 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 09:08:00 pm
Weather was fine up at Carrock Fell shamone.  :8)

Unlucky 8b+ Kev and niners, get well soon.  :P

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#11 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 09:50:38 pm
working in bootle saturday, busy for most of sunday but sprinted for a Burbage north afternoon. didnt start warming up til 2 by which time the crowds were thinning and freedom to be had. Finished up at remergence in darkness climbing on the white patches till sanity prevailed and beer was drunk in a comfortable local hostelry

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#12 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 06, 2004, 10:59:20 pm
Hey Lucien, you need to get yerself a lightweight head torch. I'm always finishing sessions into the dark these days, also helps when you're stumbling back to the car as well.

A mate of mine did that obscure classic, Forcing the Rhubarb tonight sporting a nifty bonce torch. Seemed to do the trick, he couldn't touch it half an hour earlier when there was still some daylight.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#13 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 07:55:40 am
Satdy: common sense prevailed and I passed on a wet day at Curbar in exchange for a day of hangover recovery and new car tinkering

Sunday: took me new beast out for a ride over to Curbar which was weirdly quiet Sunday am - did the usual Trackside flavas but somehow pulled my left ass-cheek using the heel on Trackside.

Had a look for Percy's new tings, couldn't find 'em tho, any one got the 411??

Was feeling good so went over to Burb North to try and ice BF direct (for the 3rd time in 4 weeks)...still no joy. Went to Remerg, bagged a repeat of said problem and the 6b pinch eliminate, watched some big names at the Terrace and finished up with a trip up Cleo's Arete. Wicked day.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#14 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 08:26:49 am
i won't mention the two days of glorious sunshine we had out here then, don't want to upset any of you lot........

Scouse D

• forum hero
#15 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 09:26:51 am
Quote from: "tommytwotone"
Satdy: Had a look for Percy's new tings, couldn't find 'em tho, any one got the 411??

Follow the track(of trackside fame) past ben's wall and into the woods. You have an option to stay low or head up; go up(i.e Right fork). After a longer time than you expected the boulder will be seen-it is literally on the path. It is also literally not very close to Trackside or Ben's wall.
Looks like the only problem worth trying is the twin arete problem (i.e the V7), as Touch Winky (V8+)is an eliminate on this.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 11:01:09 am
I won't mention the excellent dry and cold conditions in font then either

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#17 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 11:20:49 am
The 9 has only just come back from an Ankle injury too - is it the same leg?

By the way - Kev got downgraded to 8b Kev last summer. I was pushing for a subsequent downgrading to 8a+ on stamina fag grounds, but seeing as he has shown true chivalry he can stay up. I can't have thought 9 stone of tendon to be that good a spotter, be a bit hard to land on.

DrWong

• regular
    • http://www.vi-bouldering.com
#18 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 01:14:01 pm
Joined dylan on his little adventure down in the sth east and would have to agree that conditions on the weekend were some what less than absolute shite. (That is of course assuming that moist sandy slime is not your thing)

Hope the 9 gets better soon, sounds like it wasn't too serious- be a shame if he ended up 4toes. :)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#19 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 01:51:29 pm
Between 2 and 4 on Saturday got some very decent conditions on the Trackside boulder. Friction was very good at about 2.30pm. Didn't get much done, except sprain my shoulder and hip. Actually my first bouldering since April- took time off due to recurring injury during training for a marathon. Bugger.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#20 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 03:40:14 pm
Managed a bit of feeble fumbling on burbage north (and got whipped by the famous grouse, I've been told the beta is to get a kneebar with your right knee, is this right or do you have to be a tall git for this sequence?)

webbo

• forum hero
#21 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 03:49:01 pm
Quote from: "Sloper"
Managed a bit of feeble fumbling on burbage north (and got whipped by the famous grouse, I've been told the beta is to get a kneebar with your right knee, is this right or do you have to be a tall git for this sequence?)

ain't this at burb west :?:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#22 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 03:49:41 pm
yup

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#23 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 03:52:40 pm
I've not heard that one before. I do it as pictured here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=13032  with a high left heel smear, the tall can reach the good LH sloper off the big footholds

cofe

• forum hero
#24 Weekend of Ultimate Dampness
December 07, 2004, 04:19:00 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
the tall

ahem, don't you mean 'the able'. you keep going over left and your right foot toehooks. its not that far.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal