the shizzle > diet, training and injuries

Back to running after the snip

(1/5) > >>

Ged:
I'm having my tubes done in March, and am currently doing a load of running to get ready for the old county tops race in may. Does anyone have experience getting back to running after a vasectomy? I know you're supposed to avoid heavy lifting for a while, but how soon can I expect to be running again?

Any advice much appreciated

Ged

rodma:
Good luck

I had mine snipped 6 weeks ago. I probably could have comfortably started running last week, since that's when I've been able to try hard and jump down from a height without (well okay there's a tiny bit) any discomfort or fear of aggravation.

Everyone's different though and I did have minor complications after the surgery that likely slowed the healing (burst stitches despite convalescing).

Two nuggets of advice in order to go in properly mentally prepared

1. It doesn't feel like a scratch, it feels like being injected in your actual nut, because that's what's happening. Had I known that in advance I possibly wouldn't have squirmed

2. They (at least up here anyway) do one side from one side of the bed, and the other from the other. I got a bit over excited when the surgeon said "well that's me done now" to which I though he was going to say "all I have to do is close you up", instead said "go round and do the other side". Cue squirming again at second injection.

The whole thing from entering the treatment room to getting up and leaving only took around 20 minutes.

mrjonathanr:

--- Quote from: rodma on February 12, 2024, 08:29:46 pm ---
Two nuggets of advice

--- End quote ---

Marvellous.

webbo:
I went to the gym the next day. Upper body workout followed by rowing machine, cycle. Next day walked 8 miles, then day off followed by climbing the next 2 days. Then ran 6 miles the next day, 6 days after the op.
This was 28 years ago and I don’t remember getting any advice avoiding things.

Ged:

--- Quote from: webbo on February 12, 2024, 08:51:47 pm ---I went to the gym the next day. Upper body workout followed by rowing machine, cycle. Next day walked 8 miles, then day off followed by climbing the next 2 days. Then ran 6 miles the next day, 6 days after the op.
This was 28 years ago and I don’t remember getting any advice avoiding things.

--- End quote ---

This sounds a lot more like what I was hoping for as opposed to not running for 5 weeks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version