UKBouldering.com

Wythenshawe for ‘Europe’s largest climbing centre’ (Read 13657 times)

Nails

• addict

remus

• forum hero
I didn't really have a good comparison for the size so measured up the sheffield depot which is about 22,000 sq ft. This new building is 51,000 sq ft according to the article, so about 2.5x the size of the sheffield depot. That's a lot of bouldering.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Bouldering and leading, the full Olympic setup. Nice! I presume anyway since its being referred to as a Big Depot, like the Leeds one.

Still a bit gutted Steve didn't opt for the numerous cheap industrial estates around Bury but there we are...

edshakey

• forum abuser
A quick Google has found Kletterzentrum Innsbruck, DAV Munich Sud and Ratho to be contenders for biggest wall in the world. Given they're all also in Europe, anyone know the biggest in the world which this new one won't be bigger than?

Sounds cool though. Is it aiming to be a new GB base too?

In another article, it says there will be "50 parking spaces". That seems... not many.

andy_e

• forum hero
Still a bit gutted Steve didn't opt for the numerous cheap industrial estates around Bury but there we are...

Surely we're only a few years away from the Depot Ramsbottom

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I have floated the idea but he didn't seem keen, wonder why...

Teaboy

• forum hero

In another article, it says there will be "50 parking spaces". That seems... not many.

That’ll be plenty in Wythenshaw…..

JamieG

• forum hero
Presumably being right next to Manchester airport is part of the consideration if they’re hoping to host big competitions.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
A quick Google has found Kletterzentrum Innsbruck, DAV Munich Sud and Ratho to be contenders for biggest wall in the world. Given they're all also in Europe, anyone know the biggest in the world which this new one won't be bigger than?

The DAV claimed Munich Süd was the biggest years ago. As a regular there and occasional visitor to Innsbruck, I'd say Innsbruck feels bigger, but that might just be down to a more modern and spacious layout - Munich has lots of bits & pieces of wall spread over two (soon to be three) separate buildings.

Innsbruck claims 5,000㎡ of floor area and 5,750㎡ of wall surface (versus Munich 5,550㎡), which is a bit more than 51,000 square feet,

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Pondering whilst resting... Do people enjoy these massive walls? I have found with the modern larger centres I don't enjoy them as much as smaller venues. Then again I am prone to esoteric venues outside and tend to stay away from the Strange and Almscliff's of the world.

Paul B

• forum hero
Yes, I do (or did). If your local wall is quite small then the busy nights (Tue/Thur) can be a bit rubbish and you need a high turnover of problems for it not to get boring. Walls that reset areas and are small result in honeypotting in the areas that have just been reset.

remus

• forum hero
Pondering whilst resting... Do people enjoy these massive walls? I have found with the modern larger centres I don't enjoy them as much as smaller venues. Then again I am prone to esoteric venues outside and tend to stay away from the Strange and Almscliff's of the world.

I like them from a practical perspective. Larger walls tend to have a bit more space so you don't feel like you're going to land on someone when it gets busier. Larger walls also tend to have more dedicated training space which works better than having it mixed in with the rest of the wall area.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
from the Strange and Almscliff's of the world.

Embrace the Strange! :)

Are the big ones all really cold?  Due to the nature of its construction, Ratho is usually bloody freezing

Dingdong

• forum abuser
Bigger wall = colder = better connies obviously  :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
You've never been to Ratho to do routes midwinter?

Dingdong

• forum abuser

I haven’t, is it an ice axe jobby?  :lol:

stone

• forum abuser
Irony is that before they built the wall, Ratho quarry was a really nice midwinter perma-dry suntrap venue (and free to use too obviously).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Perhaps, like Stanage, you'll only have to walk a bit further to the far end and see no one all day.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Pondering whilst resting... Do people enjoy these massive walls? I have found with the modern larger centres I don't enjoy them as much as smaller venues.
RIP Broughton.
I like Blochaus in Openshaw, for the reasons you put above.

(although the Depot is quite good

Bradders

• forum hero

Personally I find it a bit of a mixed bag. Pros and cons like anything.

For instance Armley Depot is a big space, but with the way they've set the climbing to follow big features it means it doesn't feel like there's actually any more climbing than Pudsey Depot.

I really dislike the modern, massive, woody boards and wish Armley had put in a Kilter Board. The 30 at Armley is okay but the 45 is horrible. It's just too big and the hold selection is poor, plus I don't think the foothold set up (a large number of specific large or small footholds) lends itself to good movement.

Main issue is I find large walls don't have the same community feel to them. Because you can be so spread out it's easier for everyone to just ignore one another and crack on with whatever they're doing, which makes it all feel less fun. Especially so with the setting as when climbing in a mixed ability group it's harder to all climb on the same bit of wall. Conversely I went to Yonder in London on Saturday, and despite being part of a big group trying problems spanning 7 V grades there was always something for everyone on any given section.

But Remus and Paul make good points and I wouldn't swap the Armley Depot gym for the pitiful excuse Pudsey Depot offers in a million years!

SA Chris

• forum hero

I haven’t, is it an ice axe jobby?  :lol:

Not far off. I've seen icicles hanging off the "roof"

SA Chris

• forum hero
Irony is that before they built the wall, Ratho quarry was a really nice midwinter perma-dry suntrap venue (and free to use too obviously).

I never travelled to the Central Belt to climb in a quarry, but I have heard the same.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

I really dislike the modern, massive, woody boards and wish Armley had put in a Kilter Board. The 30 at Armley is okay but the 45 is horrible. It's just too big and the hold selection is poor, plus I don't think the foothold set up (a large number of specific large or small footholds) lends itself to good movement.

I think one of the main problems with training boards at commercial climbing walls is that they are often set by the setters at the wall, who are trained and skilled at setting circuits. Often they have not have had the many years of using boards that is absolutely necessary to set a good board. I noticed this phenomena in many walls in France at least.

I could set a woody, but I would never set a Japanese style spray wall for others without training on one first. (Well I did, in 2005-2007 but .... that was a long time ago...)

That is one of the reason its better for gyms just to buy a moonboard and a Kilter. That way customers will actually use the boards.

gme

• forum hero
There seems to be no end of demand for new walls. This one can’t be more than 15 mins from the other depot.
Another on the way in Newcastle as well where you have 5 within 10 mins of each other already.

On the big is better front it’s a no brainer. The modern depot style walls are a level up from anything built more than 10 years ago and only going to get better.

Health club clientele need health club level facilities.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Pondering whilst resting... Do people enjoy these massive walls? I have found with the modern larger centres I don't enjoy them as much as smaller venues.
RIP Broughton.
I like Blochaus in Openshaw, for the reasons you put above.

(although the Depot is quite good

What even was Broughton? Seen loads of nostalgia for it on ukc as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal