UKBouldering.com

Mostly Peak [various crags, mostly grit][57 probs, up to 8A+] (Read 15202 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Here’s a bunch of new things I’ve done since the last update. There’s a few of other people’s things in there too, e.g. where they’re part of the same development, or on the same block. The starring is conservative, they’re pretty much all decent, if I do say so myself.

Harland Edge – Distant Boulder

Hard Yards 7A+ - Sit start up Weather Front and trav low left to finish around the arete. A good techy fingery trav on perfect rock.

Duke’s Seat

Hawk Kestrel Manoeuvres in the Park 6C+
Lefthand start to Peregrination, start with LH on low undercut gain the arete/lip at (but not before) where it juts out. A bit arbitrary, but worth it for the tortured pun I thought.

Kestrel Kingdom 6C
A more direct/RH sit start to Peregrination

Private Prow RH 6C+
Start on the block on the right and gain the prow by an interesting sideways move and cutloose. Novel!

Wharncliffe – near My Condition
Below and right/SE of My Condition is an overhanging block stack.

Ripperoni Pepperoni 6B+
Sit start on the left arete and climb up until a rock round onto the slab can be made.

Stakka Bo 6B+
Sit start on jams in the middle of the stack and climb direct to the apex.

Stanage Plantation

Downhill below the Pebble, almost at the fence, near a marshy area. In the same cluster Crispin fairly recently added some new probs.

Vibin’ in the Ritz Car 7A+
From sitting on the far right, a right to left slopey trav of the mini Cowper Stone type boulder. Tops out at an angle change at the end of the steepness.

Bamford – Salmon boulders and beyond

Simon Jacques has also added a load of good easier probs around these boulders and further left and is I think recording in a PDF topo.

* Chinook 8A
The wall left of Something Silly from a sit start. Excellent if a bit reachy. FA Ned Feehally

Tsumen 6B+
The back left arete of the Something Silly block via a hanging flake, from a sit start.

Quinnat 7A
The wall left of Tsumen from sitting.

Sockeye 6C+
Below and left/NW of Something Silly is a sharp steep arete/prow. Climb this direct from a sit start.

Steelhead 7A
On the block immediately behind Sockeye. Sit start into a mantel onto the green slab.

Roughed Up 6B+
On the crag above the last couple of problems is a wall with a low roof/cave. Sit start in the break at the back, gain the lip and exit up the wall. No side wall.

Rough N Tumble 6C+
As for Roughed Up, then continue via the lip to climb the left arete.

The breaky buttress/wall just right of this block has some good warm-ups in the 4-6A+ range.

* Pog Champ 7A+
50m left of the Something Silly etc across a vague scoop/gully. Where a ruined wall meets the edge. Top notch steep compression prow from sitting. Not huge but packs a punch.

Poggers 7A+
The right arete of Pog Champ from sitting. Extreme toe hooking.

* Klem Fandango 7A (6C from stand)
10m left of the ruined wall. Climb the steep highish arete from a sit start.

* Hello Steven 7B
The wall right of Klem Fandango has a hard start and a steep finish. I climbed this with a cop out finish (7A+) into KF at the top, Jim Pope added the logical direct finish.

Rough Diamond 6B
20m downhill and 20m left of the ruined wall is a diamond shaped steep slab. Climb the prowy left arete of this from a low sit start.

Xenolith 6B
Climb the right side of Rough Diamond from standing.

Carats for Power 7B+
The centre of the slab/wall climbed dynamically rightwards. FA Ned Feehally

Zirconia 7C
Right arete of the face from sitting. Short and powerful.

Sturgeon 6C

Back up on the crag and a further 25m left is a sharp vertical arete. Climb the right side of this from standing.

Burbage South

Peaking Duck 6B+
Just right of Definitive 5.11 is a decent but hemmed in double arete prow. Climb this from a sit start.

Quack Pipe 7B
Starting from the end of the D5.11 crack, without the low plinth, climb the lip/prow rightwards all the way onto the back face of the block and a rockover onto the green slab. Fairly bizarre upside down toe-hooking fun.

Froggatt

Love Thy Kneebar 7A+
Below road level, 20m beneath the white gate near the main parking is a small undercut prow. Sit start under the roof, climb the arete/prow.

* Burt Backaround 7B
On the roadside rocks, 20m or so right of Isla Grace is a buttress with two obvious highball aretes. This is the central/left one, with hard moves above the low roof and easier climbing above.

** Elephants Gerald 7A+
The right arete. Start on the left/front side up the smooth arete, then switch sides at the flake and finish up the right side. Really brilliant (except for the cars).

* Lionel Reachy 7C
A further 20m down the road is another striking highball arete. Climb this on it’s right side above a branch patio (get to it while it lasts!). FA Ned Feehally

Renegade Pastor SS 7C+
On the Renegade Master buttress. As per the name. Some tricky setup moves into the original one move 7C. Wouldn’t surprise me if this settled out at 8A. FA Ned Feehally

* Egg Dance 7B+
The right arete of Ladies Wall from a sit start. Remarkably good for such an obvious unclimbed line. 7A from standing. FA Ned Feehally.

* Smiling Moon 7A+
25m below and right/south of Grands Doigts is a block with a crescent moon shaped ramp on the left side. Sit start on the ramp and climb up rightwards to a pocket on the arete and a juggy finish.

Lunar Lander 6C
The blunt central arete of the Smiling Moon block via slopey campussing.

Waxing Cresent 8A+
The right sidewall of the Smiling Moon block from sitting, on nano-hoists. FA Ned Feehally

Kogepan 7A+
This is one from ages ago that I forgot to record in a previous update. On the Stottie boulder, climb the steep face just right of centre. Not to be confused with an easier line above a bad landing a metre of so to the left.

Powdered Toast Man 7B+
Kind of a RH version of Kogepan. Climb the wall between Kogepan and the arete (high left foot rockover). FA Ned Feehally
<Jim’s Arete, don’t know the actual name> 7B
The left arete of the Pig heart Boy wall. FA Jim Pope

* Murder of Crows 7A
From the start position of Pig Heart Boy undercut right until a reach/launch for the ledge is possible. Finish up easy but prickly ground.

Cast Away 7A
May or may not share ground with the mysterious old line Cast Off. From the ground climb the wall and flakes left of Leggit. Great climbing but bring a spotter for the block behind.

* Beaunus Material 7B
As mentioned on the Rainbeau thread. Climb the low start to Rambeau into a steep RH finish staying on the underside of the prow. No harder (possibly easier) than standard Rambeau but quite different in style and very good. FA Ned Feehally

Curbar

* Fridge Magnate 7A+
Down and right/south of The Art of White Hat Wearing is an overhanging fridge type  big block reminiscent of the Ultimate Gritstone Experience. Climb the prow of this front on from sitting.

Vittorio Bertazzoni 7A
The left arete of the prow.

Fridgeface 7A
The left wall of the block, with a tricky pull on

Gumotex 6C
The left arete of the crack/chimney left of Kayak, from a sit start.

Higgar

As mentioned on the other thread (apologies again for the retro-claim).

By Jupiter 6C
The left side of the scoop left of Jupiter’s Slab. Climbed from sitting on the ledge.

Jupiter’s Scoop 7A
The scoop direct i.e. without the shield/flake out right on Jupiter’s Slab.

Smallfield Roof

Fouganza 7B
Climb the main roof left to right without the low shelf to finish up the rh sidewall. FA Ned Feehally

Cratcliffe

Samantha Muesli 7B?
Supposedly E3 6a right of Invasion of the Cider Women. Given the grade disparity I reckon the original stepped in off the arete. Reclimbed by Adam Long via a direct start, grade is a guess, I didn’t get up it.

Gnomic Aphorisms 6C?
Highball arete right of Samantha Muesli.
FA Adam Long, though may actually be the line of SM which was put up by Paul Mitchell.
Roaches, Five Clouds Cloud Nein 7A -At the very far RH end of the Five Clouds is a head height roof. Start on the juggy break on the right of the roof, climb the lip left to a tricky rock/mantel around the left side of the arete.
No Claims Bonus 7A - Start on the left side of the same roof and follow the lip right, to finish up the right side of the arete. No footblock out right.

Gradbach Hill

* Monkey on My Bach 7A
On the buttress left of Phantom. The right arete/prow of the Hour Glass wall. A good huggy prow from a sit start.

Blackwell Dale – Hunky Roof

Hunk Life 7A+
This is the cave above Sean’s Roof, with some short sport routes on it. Big moves gain the hanging groove on the left side of the steepness.
The A6 Wave

Ride the Mild Surf 7A+
Right to left traverse on the left side of the crag. Start at jugs on bad Thumb, follow break and crimps leftwards all the way to the easy exit groove.

* Wave Mechanics 7C+
Sit start in the back of the roof left of Dan’s Groove. Cross the roof direct then go right to finish up Ned/James’ Problem. The tall can lank past the initial crux which drops a grade or two.

Mechanical Dan 7B+
The start of Waves Mechanics, then finish up Dan’s Groove.

Yorkshire - Snowden Crags

Guten Tag Frau Griggs 7B+
Below the Brock Block and right of the Skull Wall boulder is a vertical wall with a crack in it.
An eliminate line with good moves. Start right of the crack on the big sidepull and a pebble, climb direct via a thin sidepull and slopey arete. Avoids the slopey edges and other holds out right at this grade.

* Fewston, We Have a Problem 7A+
Sit start to JCB, climbing direct into the original via the overhanging scoop.

NOTE: Some of the best things have been up at Grinah Stone where we did some cracking stuff which probably hasn’t been done before as they required cleaning by abseil. I’d love to be able to share these and to encourage more traffic, but I’ll stick by the agreed no documentation thing. FWIW I think this rule is well past it’s use by date. There are so many hurdles to put people off going to this place that even people ‘in the know’ rarely actually make it up. I really think the place would still be extremely quiet if written up, people would just get more and better climbing done when they were there. If anyone wants info on stuff I know about up there by all means PM me.

Some images:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXyahu3IJaF/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXyeFPpIJXp/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:05:52 pm by Bonjoy »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
:ohmy: bloody hell. That's, ummm....something, even by your standards.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
:ohmy: bloody hell. That's, ummm....something, even by your standards.

This plus Love Thy Kneebar are contenders for best names of the bunch.

Best I managed this year Swelterweight (near Floors Craig, climbed on a very hot day).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I was very please with Fewston, We have a Problem, as i was staying in the village of Fewston a couple of miles from the crag at the time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Teaboy

• forum hero
I was going to mention Burt Backaround as being noteworthy but didn't want to derail the thread (although I missed Hawk Kestrel... which, I agree, is even  better)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
Lionel Reachy is also a favourite.
And I've had Klem Fandango on a list of possible names for a while. Like minds Bonjoy :icon_beerchug:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Stabbsy

• junky
This is generally one of my favourite threads each year (or every 6 months or whatever) - partly for the puns, partly to explain cryptic bits of chalk I've seen dotted about at crags, but mostly for the sheer volume of new stuff that gets uncovered. Awesome work Jon.

Smallfield Roof

Fouganza 7B
Climb the main roof left to right without the low shelf to finish up the rh sidewall. FA Ned Feehally

I'm assuming this one eliminates the lip for hands. Does it eliminate it for feet as well? If so, feels like it will be real 7B rather than Smallfield 7B! Had a brief play in April/May time and didn't make much progress, felt like I either needed to use the lip for my feet or be a lot stronger.

* Fewston, We Have a Problem 7A+
Sit start to JCB, climbing direct into the original via the overhanging scoop.
Off-topic, but we had an ill-fated project at work that was informally named the Apollo 13 project because the project manager was called Richard Houston. "Richard Houston, we have a problem" was regularly heard during the testing phase.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
This is generally one of my favourite threads each year (or every 6 months or whatever) - partly for the puns, partly to explain cryptic bits of chalk I've seen dotted about at crags, but mostly for the sheer volume of new stuff that gets uncovered. Awesome work Jon.

Smallfield Roof

Fouganza 7B

I'm assuming this one eliminates the lip for hands. Does it eliminate it for feet as well? If so, feels like it will be real 7B rather than Smallfield 7B! Had a brief play in April/May time and didn't make much progress, felt like I either needed to use the lip for my feet or be a lot stronger.

Cheers!
Yeah the lip is out for hands and feet. We didn't manage to eliminate  the upper line of footholds at the back though (which would have made it more pure roof style), only the low shelf.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I've stuck a bunch of photos on my instagram showing some of these:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXyahu3IJaF/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXyeFPpIJXp/

Stabbsy

• junky
Yeah the lip is out for hands and feet. We didn't manage to eliminate  the upper line of footholds at the back though (which would have made it more pure roof style), only the low shelf.
Ta, I think I get what you mean. There's the low shelf and then a crack about a foot higher that peters out at the RH end. Is the crack what you mean by the upper line of footholds? If the crack was in, I'd imagine you would be able to get heel/toes for at least part of the problem before switching to pure roof climbing the last bit.

remus

• forum hero
Good haul Jon!

* Pog Champ 7A+
50m left of the Something Silly etc across a vague scoop/gully. Where a ruined wall meets the edge. Top notch steep compression prow from sitting. Not huge but packs a punch.

This is worth 7B and ** imo (I did have a couple of sessions in rubbish conditions though so maybe does feel 7A+ when it's crisp).

mark20

• junky
Great work Jon and co. The Bamford stuff looks particularly brilliant, lovely spot up there. I like the Froggatt Woods too, so will be sure to check some of that stuff out.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Great work Jon, looking forward to trying some (many) of these.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
More importantly Johnny Brown, can you think of a name for the Cracliffe thing/s? 7b for Samantha Muesli?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I've split the Grinah stuff off into a separate topic now.

Gnomic Aphorisms it is JB, I like. After all, core is paramount.

Bradders

• forum hero
* Fewston, We Have a Problem

Big fan of this, great work.

Jacqusie

• stalker

* Smiling Moon 7A+
25m below and right/south of Grands Doigts is a block with a crescent moon shaped ramp on the left side. Sit start on the ramp and climb up rightwards to a pocket on the arete and a juggy finish.

Good call, your significant efforts were being swamped by the Grinah grumbles. I'll repost my comment which got lost:

Ah you found it!    I wondered when, it was just a matter of time really. I stumbled on this about 20 years ago and it was so minging with a lovely garden of it's own on the top, never went back until last summer when I started cleaning the top off and left arete and was struck by the lovely rib feature. Glad you both gave it some attention and it's been done from the sit start it deserves. Our efforts were standing fumbles.

Great that you guys could develop the rocks on the Froggatt after the ash dieback work too and for my money's worth the best name is the fabulous 'Lionel Reachy  -  good effort chaps

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Sorry Simon, I realised I'd accidentally split your post out into the other thread, but couldn't figure how to then splice it back in where it came from.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I did wonder who'd part clean the Smiling Moon block. Did you also do some cleaning on the roadside stuff? The top half of Elephants Gerald looked to have been tried and there's a still to be climbed project 5m right of Lionel Reachy that someone else has cleaned up.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
I cleaned the overhanging crack right of Lionel Reachy. I was intending to climb it as a route, as the gear is good and the landing is poor. Unfortunately I stuck my leg down a hole and tore my MCL immediately after brushing it. The slab/wall to the right of the crack was already cleaned with traces of chalk on it.

BAndy

• player
The new roadside aretes at Froggatt look great. I'll have to go back with more pads and a spotter as they certainly aren't lowball! There was a lot of chalk on them so I assume they've had some ascents over the past couple of days.

I consoled myself with a very sweary ascent of Love Thy Kneebar just before snow rendered it unclimbable. It packs a lot into a few moves.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Nice one! You find the crucial knee placement?
Yeah, the roadside aretes saw some attention this week, and Isla Grace too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal