UKBouldering.com

Topic split - pull up bar failure (Read 3406 times)

csl

• junky
Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 10:24:55 am
I can't/don't do anything (front levers etc) which could result in me falling onto my back or head in the event of failure.
Good to know! That was what I was thinking about.

Yeah, I've heard of serious injuries caused by failures of pullup bars like this , so I've always been careful what I get up to. Hopefully one day soon I'll have a proper training room with a permanent setup.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 11:18:28 am
Yeah, be very careful with those, someone who used to post on here's partner broke her back when it gave way.

seankenny

• forum hero
#2 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 11:33:54 am
I can't/don't do anything (front levers etc) which could result in me falling onto my back or head in the event of failure.

Yeah, I've heard of serious injuries caused by failures of pullup bars like this , so I've always been careful what I get up to. Hopefully one day soon I'll have a proper training room with a permanent setup.

The screw out/extendable pull up bars are clearly quite risky, but has anyone heard horror stories about the cantilever ones? I have a very similar set up to csl and have never had any problems with doing hangs or pull ups on it. Not sure about front levers but I'm too tall/weak to consider it right now anyhow.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 11:38:58 am
Perhaps I'm remembering this wrongly, but I think the incident being referred to was from pulling on the wrong horizontal bar of a Powerbar (a cantilever type). I'm not aware of any failures of the cantilever type when they're being used as intended, but if there are any horror stories I should be aware of then I'd like to hear them since I use a Powerbar for my fingerboard set up. I might think twice about doing a front lever on one but I can't do a front lever.

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 11:40:49 am
canti ones are much better i think - obvs still more risk than fixed, but much easier to check every time that its seated properly. Think if you check its seated properly and aren't doing anything explosive/swingy on it they seem pretty safe.

36chambers

• forum hero
#5 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 11:46:46 am
Molly Thompson-Smith decked messing around with a power bar

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-e4MnfDrl-/

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 12:03:30 pm
Can't recall / find it again, but didn't a UKB-er / UKB-er's partner have a really nasty accident (broken spine?) falling off a pullup bar?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 12:04:21 pm
Must be an echo in here :)

cofe

• forum hero
#8 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 12:08:03 pm
They should come with screw-in cups for the ends to sit in within the door frame, but they commonly used to be put up without by just screwing them out hard. I did this in our old house and warped the door frame a bit. Cups + extended seems solid on mine now.

csl

• junky
#9 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 12:35:39 pm

The screw out/extendable pull up bars are clearly quite risky, but has anyone heard horror stories about the cantilever ones? I have a very similar set up to csl and have never had any problems with doing hangs or pull ups on it. Not sure about front levers but I'm too tall/weak to consider it right now anyhow.

I'm just careful not to do anything where I'd fall onto my back from height, so no front levers or any other weirdness. I think the highest chance of failure would be if it came off the frame when doing anything explosive, or possibly with front to back movement.

csl

• junky
#10 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 12:36:51 pm
Yeah, be very careful with those, someone who used to post on here's partner broke her back when it gave way.

This is exactly the incident I was talking about, I remember hearing about it when I was at uni and it's really stuck with me since.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 12:56:51 pm

This is exactly the incident I was talking about, I remember hearing about it when I was at uni and it's really stuck with me since.

It was tragic, and it was an expandable without the cups placed. Thread below

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,20498.0.html

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#12 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 01:05:25 pm
Thats properly put the shits up me. I immediately went to check the pullup bar.  :no:

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#13 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 01:17:13 pm
Wow that is terrible. I have a camming pull up bar placed between two walls above a doorframe. It's rated to 200kg ish, and feels absolutely bomb proof (made sure to get the best one I could), but now I am gonna have that in the back of my mind every time I do anything.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 01:46:54 pm
They should come with screw-in cups for the ends to sit in within the door frame, but they commonly used to be put up without by just screwing them out hard. I did this in our old house and warped the door frame a bit. Cups + extended seems solid on mine now.

Yeah I have the cups screwed into the doorframe and it's totally solid, the doorframe is in a supporting wall (out to garage) so luckily no warping. I'm happy doing moves up and down to beastmaster on it. If you have the cups, for the price of a couple of wood screws and a bit of filler and a lick of paint, it's worth the peace of mind.

IMO anyway.

sdm

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 02:07:06 pm
I have a cantilever bar but I've always been paranoid about falling from it after that thread.

I always double check it is fitted correctly before using and after each of the first few sets.

I do use it for levers and L-sits, but I always put down pads first just in case.

I don't use it for explosive work (I do these at the park when I go for a run instead) and I don't use it for weighted pull-ups because I'm not convinced my doorframe could handle the extra weight so I'm doing more one arm work at the moment.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 02:45:13 pm
I used to use a screw out pull up bar for pull ups and the door frames (which are about 3 inches deep) for core stuff, however, I’ve just bought a Porta-gym from Amazon and it feels absolutely bombproof provided you keep your weight within the frame. It’s rated to 120k and I reckon takes about 3 minutes to put up and takes a space of 5ft by 5ft.

I was sceptical when I bought it but most impressed when I’ve tried it.

seankenny

• forum hero
#17 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 03:11:41 pm
I have a cantilever bar...

I don't use it for explosive work (I do these at the park when I go for a run instead) and I don't use it for weighted pull-ups because I'm not convinced my doorframe could handle the extra weight so I'm doing more one arm work at the moment.

Also a bit paranoid about my cantilever but haven't had any problems using it for weighted pull ups, our doorframe seems to hack it fine so far.

I also have a screw in bar up but I've barely used it. No cups/screws but it seems to have wedged itself in to the point I can't remove it. Still would no way do core work on it, however it is fine for hanging shirts and dresses whilst ironing, back in the days when one went out and met others and needed to look a bit presentable.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#18 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
January 19, 2021, 04:12:42 pm
I've used both the compression one (with cups) and the cantilever one and never had issues. Pull-ups, lever (attempts), fingerboard, general swinging around. Never had issues give my not inconsiderable weight

honroid

• addict
#19 Re: Topic split - pull up bar failure
February 20, 2021, 09:09:41 pm
We knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room to put up a beam to do our bar work on. Quite an effort to go to but well worth it. It's as solid as the house is.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal