UKBouldering.com

Power Club 565 4th Jan 2021 -10th Jan 2021 (Read 14498 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Quote from: tomtom
Edit 2: I’ve got a TRX think (Cheap decathlon clone) but believe it or not - there is no-where in the house I can put it up. No doors opening the right way into open spaces. No room where the board is... our house is packed full of shit...

The doors in my house are the same, so I attached my TRX to a beam in my attic, using one of these. .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/suspension-resistance-crossfit-bodyweight-strength/dp/B00N8XWOGO/ref=psdc_2518566031_t3_B07DR771WP

And I'm sure you know, like an ab-wheel, using a TRX without paying a lot of attention to good form is a really effective means of knackering your back (as I will no doubt re-learn painfully for myself when this lockdown forces me to start using it again).

tomtom

• forum hero
Sadly the attic room (whilst large) has two desks (and set up) one climbing wall, double bed, wardrobe, three chests of drawers and 20+ large cardboard boxes full of crap. It’s the spare floor area that’s the problem. Squeezing the board in led to some moving around (jenga) and not sure I could make the floor space needed.

Nice tree in the communal garden that works - but the weather..... and I’d have ten sets of neighbours watching me punter away :)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Tom, I want you to say hello to my little friend
Talk about training economy...
 :-\

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Sadly the attic room (whilst large) has two desks (and set up) one climbing wall, double bed, wardrobe, three chests of drawers and 20+ large cardboard boxes full of crap. It’s the spare floor area that’s the problem. Squeezing the board in led to some moving around (jenga) and not sure I could make the floor space needed.

Tom just trying to picture your board area, wouldn’t it be possible to set up the TRX hanging from the top of the board to be used with your feet under the board area and arms going out into the room? Is the issue more having the space to get your albatross span into the fly position 😄

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Why is the thread called Dec 4th 2020 to 10th Dec 2020? Is it a time travelling thread to give BoJo the chance to make decisions with hindsight?

Not sure I’m up for reliving any of 2020, to be honest.

Corrected

JohnM

• junky
M - nothing

T - Trail run 10km 309m

W - Shoulder stability + core. Weighted hangs on Lattice edge up to 20kg. Trail run 9.3km 361m.

T - Finger boarding. Front 3, back 3, middle 2, back 2 and slopers.

F - Trail run 18.5km 694m.

S - Shoulder stability + core. Assisted one arm pull ups (20 x travelling pull ups, x 5 sling assisted and x 5 pulley assisted one armers). Trail run 17.34km 667m.

S - Weighted pull ups (3 x 3 24kg, 3 x 5 15kg, 3 x 8 10kg). Trail run 10.42km 305m.

I was feeling pretty unmotivated and heavy after NY so happy I got going in the end this week and got some stuff done. I was down on all my pre-Xmas weighted pull ups/assisted one arm stuff but hopefully I will bounce back. If I want to have a chance at my 2021 climbing and running goals I need to step up the training up soon and add some structure. I have divided the training sessions I can do at home into units (either 1 unit or 0.5 units for shorter sessions) and will try and complete the planned units at sometime in the week so that it is flexible depending on work or motivation. This is similar to what Youtuber Mani the Monkey does in this video (). He has a pretty entertaining channel IMO. Most of the units are strength/finger strength based at the moment but I will start adding in endurance/power endurance units soon so that the weekly mix will evolve by the spring.

Duma

• forum hero
Where's that list of galpinos?

Oh yeah here we go
People I hate on Power Club
Coops_13
spidermonkey
Shark
Coops_13

He's already on the list, but I feel this weeks entry merits another listing...

just kidding, keep on with the vids Coops

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Tom
If you can't hang one armed shoulder engaged then work to that.
If you can then work to engage from hanging (use assistance and do negatives)
Straight arm so you're not cheating with the bicep. Shouldn't tweak your golfers (which I'd bet on it not being golfers but a postural problem).
You can do your IYTs on the floor and a couple of really light weights (sorry this one again):

https://youtu.be/tV3lSdmg0AA?t=334

And you could always try some different core exercises:

(*may contain somwthing approaching a down dog)

I await the list of reasons why you can't possibly  :)

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Average weight: 82.5kg

M - City Bloc just for training. Start with max hangs. No progress but I realise i'm not doing these frequently enough at the moment, then campus board concentrating on big moves on the big rungs. Full body calisthenics work out to follow. Highlights including 2x one armers on the right arm, 1x on the left, and a 20 second full back lever hold.

T - Active rest day. Skateboard session #2: practice ollies over a bit of 2x4 to improve my timing and learn 180 pivots both ways.

45 minute lower body stretching routine with focused effort on pancakes, box splits and hip external rotation.

W - Back to the garage board. Felt hard coming back to it after a break - smaller moves on worse holds in comparison to the kilter board. Repeated some old problems, fingers felt worked.

T - Active rest day. Skateboard session #3: first rolling kickflips, first stationary heelflip.

45 minute stretching routine with focused effort on front splits, shoulder flexion and wrist extension.

F - work late, nothing

S - Shipley Glen in the morning. Straight to Red Baron Roof. I've had a few sessions on this previously but now I feel confident it will go having refined my beta. The sun came out and it was a battle against the clock before the snow melted and after making a few good links the lip holds became wet. Before leaving I did a few sets of hanging the compression move for 10+ seconds to try and get some specific strength gains that will help the cut loose.

Skateboard session #4 in the evening. First rolling heelflips, first rolling frontside pop-shuvits, first stationary varial heelflip (borderline pulled), progress on frontside and backside 180's but not managing to roll away fakie, first nollies. Really enjoying this, it reminds me of projecting boulders except i'm not limited by strength/energy levels and needing to rest.

S - mostly rest with 1 hour yoga

tomtom

• forum hero
keep on with the vids Coops

Yup - please do!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

Tom just trying to picture your board area, wouldn’t it be possible to set up the TRX hanging from the top of the board to be used with your feet under the board area and arms going out into the room? Is the issue more having the space to get your albatross span into the fly position 😄

Could still do I's and Y's ;  no excuses...

tomtom

• forum hero

Its banging into the wooden edge of the bed (nearly underneath the top of the board) that worries me!

But keep the ideas coming... apart from Ab Ripper Videos... bleurgh...

Tom
If you can't hang one armed shoulder engaged then work to that.
If you can then work to engage from hanging (use assistance and do negatives)
Straight arm so you're not cheating with the bicep. Shouldn't tweak your golfers (which I'd bet on it not being golfers but a postural problem).

Good idea (and wondered about this from earlier posts and replies to Dunny..) was effectively doing this with my (new) 1 arm PU regime going from completely unengaged straight arm up to 90 deg. Obvs forget the last bit..  Good advice about getting a fist size gap between shoulder and ear (Duma?).

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

likely to be the weakest positions too...

Where there's a will...

EDIT: have you tried to do IYTs on a TRX before?  You might imagine that at the end of the movement you're going to be almost flat out on the floor but initially at least i'd guess that'll be unlikley. Could be around 30-45 degrees so you might find you have the space after all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:10:09 am by nai »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

EDIT: have you tried to do IYTs on a TRX before?  You might imagine that at the end of the movement you're going to be almost flat out on the floor but initially at least i'd guess that'll be profoundly unlikley. Could be around 30-45 degrees so you might find you have the space after all.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

W - Finally have access to reasonable weights for fingerboarding, so did a max hang test. Managed +17.5 kg at about 77 kg BW on BM1k 18 mm edge.

Th - More max hangs, increased weight to +11.5 kg. Probably too soon after the last really, but felt pretty well rested.

How does your test vary from your training sessions? ie different edge or duration?

Carl

• regular
How does your test vary from your training sessions? ie different edge or duration?

Test was as per the Crimpd app finger strength testing session, so 7s hangs at increasing weights, on the BM1k 18 mm rather than the 20 mm edge specified.
Same edge for testing and training, same duration (7s) with a few minutes' rest between hangs. Was about 2 mins for the test & first session or two, have upped to about 3 since.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
So when training you aren’t hanging at your maximum?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Nai et al

Re IYT what is the point of doing them if the aim is engage your shoulder when shoulder shrugs on a bar or edge is more directly relatable?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
M - rest, think I did some stretching
T - max hangs. 3 sets at bodyweight, managed 3 ish seconds. When the power went down I moved to 1.25kg assist for the final two sets. TRX and pushups to finish.
W -stretching
T - repeaters. Back on the anderson hangs. 2.5kg added on battery edge, bottom outside, and 3FD in the big slot. Felt nails, worked by the end. Core afterwards. My god, what a disgrace. Need to get back into this.
F - rest.
S - went outside, for my sins. A few more people than I would have liked but everyone was trying to go to quieter places which ended up making a quiet place busier. Started well, fell off the last move of the project first go from the start. Went steadily backwards from there, blaming the repeaters as I didn't feel totally recovered.
S - stretched.

Not a bad week considering. As this looks like it for the foreseeable these entries are going to get really boring!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Nai et al

Re IYT what is the point of doing them if the aim is engage your shoulder when shoulder shrugs on a bar or edge is more directly relatable?

General conditioning for me. Think having a generally strong shoulder can only be a good thing and they are a good finisher to a session.

Carl

• regular

Started at about 90% of maximum, increased by a touch in the subsequent sessions. So far they've felt very close to max effort by the end of the sets.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

No finger strength training program, or for that matter any strength training program, will recommend training at your maximum every session.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
The shoulder is complex, it's used for pushing and pulling, moves horizontally, vertically, rotates. We don't always have our arms above our heads when we're climbing, so train it in different axes. Trapezius is huge vs other supporting muscles so strengthening it throughout the range and engaging it rather than those should be benefial.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Nai et al

It’s not just a shoulder work out, even on the knees it’s a full chain tension work out, obviously even more so on the feet. Similar core engagement to a plank but harder

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

No finger strength training program, or for that matter any strength training program, will recommend training at your maximum every session.

A. Bollocks
B. Don’t call them max hangs if they aren’t (this isn’t a go at you Carl)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal