UKBouldering.com

Who got out today? Reports (Read 21662 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#75 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 03:02:27 pm
OMG the thought of trying to lead something with my two tied together at the base. Soloing would be safer.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#76 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 03:32:11 pm
OMG the thought of trying to lead something with my two tied together at the base. Soloing would be safer.

"No, I'M belaying Daddy!"

*Eldest snatches rope out of youngest's hands*

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#77 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 08:32:42 pm
Do it with twin ropes with a child belaying on each?
Half the chance of death...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#78 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 08:34:02 pm

Thankfully us boomers don’t give a shit about our kids  :lol:

:-\ Thinking about it I may have just used them as a counterweight as I rope soloed with a modified gri gri

petejh

• forum hero
#79 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 09:20:21 pm
Went out to Nesscliffe, everything about being back out at a crag felt amazing. Just driving through the countryside, walking through the woods, and then seeing the cliffs up close, everything looked amazing! One other pair there in main wall area. Another pair turned up later to make six of us. I was with a mate from outside my household.. Good just to catch up and chat. SD in effect, but sharing of belay devices and TR's.. :-\
We set up a TR and shared the other pair's TR (!). Pleased just to be moving up routes on a top rope with no stress and felt pleased that I wasn't as shit as I feared, managed a pair of E5s 'onsight top rope'  8), and an E7 clean. All I'd never been on before. Maybe back to lead them on the weekend, not really what I imagined easing out of lock down would be like.. felt like climbing never went away (well, it  didn't if you count endless lime lowball traversing)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:39:02 pm by petejh »

mark20

• junky
#80 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 09:27:09 pm
Nice afternoon bouldering at the buttress between Moat and Majorca at WCJ. A couple at Moat and noises from The Cornice but rest of the valley , and parking, seemed fairly quiet. The missus went for a run up Cheedale and said it seemed fairly quiet there too.
Great to be back on rock but it’s just not quite the same without a pint of Absolution sat outside the Red Lion, watching the sun go down  :wavecry:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#81 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 16, 2020, 08:31:03 am
Had a walk down to Cheedale with the family. Quite a few out sport climbing. Very dry, even stuff like Monumental looks dry, though pretty dusty obvs. Ash leaves not out yet so still very light and airy. Tree bridge still good for Chee Tor.

Lay-bys looking busier on the drive out. NT car parks at Longshaw look to be open.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#82 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 16, 2020, 08:08:14 pm
I got to Burbage west and north this evening. Not many climbers out.
I only 2 people on rock.
I got emotional again; mostly due to views and bird life. I clearly need to get a grip and man up.
A willow warbler landed on my arm  :dance1:

danm

• junky
#83 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 11:08:31 am
I've been out bouldering in the Peak twice since we were allowed, quiet but not really esoteric spots. Hardly seen a soul although the roads were busy. It's felt a real privilege being out seeing the wildlife and the abundancy of nature, the climbing has been quite secondary really, but still the feeling of moving over rock has been amazing to have again.

mark20

• junky
#84 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 12:01:09 pm
From the other channel
“There’s a parking spot in Calver on the little one way stretch of road between the village green and the football pitches. Walkers etc have historically left there cars here for the day. Just a heads up that all the cars parked up there today had their tyres let down, some multiple tyres.
there were people waiting for recovery when Mrs Paul in Sheffield was out on the dog walk. One unfortunate had all four tyres let down.
There’s a lot of rumblings from locals about the increasing numbers parking up around Curbar Gap and Stoney. I’m not sure what the answer is, but this isn’t going to go away in the near future I don’t think”

:wank:

Murph

• forum abuser
#85 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 12:34:30 pm
Thanks mark. Is the carpark at curbar gap open yet? That would help.

mark20

• junky
#86 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 01:16:08 pm
I thought I’d read that the curbar gap parking is open but I can’t find where I saw that now.

Brannock

• regular
#87 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 02:16:33 pm
Curbar gap parking was closed yesterday.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#88 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 06:29:04 pm
The irony being that the vandals have now caused recovery vehicles to be called out, upping the risk. :spank:

petejh

• forum hero
#89 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 06:54:13 pm
The Welsh gov guidance and BMC guidance suggests climbing within walking distance is OK, so me and my climber housemate popped down to LPT today. Mint connies and had the place to ourselves, not a bad local crag :) Although the silence was a bit strange.. no music drifting across from the pier. Weird times. 
I'd forgotten how physical sport climbing is compared to trad. Leading 'Under the Boardwalk' today felt physically harder than top-roping Nescliffe E7 on Friday!

NaoB

• player
#90 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 07:07:13 pm
OK, now I'm jealous

petejh

• forum hero
#91 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 07:12:28 pm
I did feel I should be fitter to do justice to the situation.. I bet by the time I'm fit enough the hordes will be back to burn me off!

Duncan campbell

• junky
#92 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 07:36:10 pm
The Welsh gov guidance and BMC guidance suggests climbing within walking distance is OK, so me and my climber housemate popped down to LPT today. Mint connies and had the place to ourselves, not a bad local crag :) Although the silence was a bit strange.. no music drifting across from the pier. Weird times. 
I'd forgotten how physical sport climbing is compared to trad. Leading 'Under the Boardwalk' today felt physically harder than top-roping Nescliffe E7 on Friday!

Johnny Brown... I believe this is your sphere of ethics - toproping not being trad climbing

:P

petejh

• forum hero
#93 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 07:41:47 pm
Good point - I should have qualified by saying - 'than top-roping trad routes'  ;D
The mind's a funny thing isn't it.

ali k

• junky
#94 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 08:31:19 pm
Was it Yukan II by any chance?

mark20

• junky
#95 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 09:45:47 pm
Curbar gap parking was closed yesterday.
Sorry, you're right. Drove past just now, at 9ish, and it's closed off. Judging by the cars that were still scattered along the verge it has been rammed up there today. Looked to be a camper with a pop top getting ready for the night at Surprise View.

On my way out at 4ish it was surprisingly busy. Quite a few folk just wandering around Castleton, fuck knows why when it's all closed. Hmm I can see why some locals are getting twitchy...  :popcorn: :worms: etc

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#96 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 10:05:52 pm
I did feel I should be fitter to do justice to the situation.. I bet by the time I'm fit enough the hordes will be back to burn me off!

At least you’ll have the warm ups wired

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#97 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 10:22:21 pm
I got out over the weekend; the first time in 8-9 weeks I'd done a "move", just fingerboarding in the interim.  Overall, I was not as hapless as I had feared but I quickly realised that the Beastmaker app is no preparation for f5 slopey mantels!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#98 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 11:01:02 pm
Trowbarrow was very quiet on the climbing front. There from 9-12.30, no other boulderers, a couple of top ropers/shunters.

Connie's decent. Boulderer not so.

petejh

• forum hero
#99 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 17, 2020, 11:12:34 pm
Was it Yukan II by any chance?

Marlene Direct.. felt like vertical face sport 6b+/c to a good rest then a short balancy V4 crux on the top arete. Not complaining mind, lovely route!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal