UKBouldering.com

Who got out today? Reports (Read 21602 times)

M1V0

• addict
#50 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 05:40:59 pm
Went to explore one of the more esoteric areas in the South Lakes today. Didn't see anyone else climbing (hardly a surprise) but plenty of walkers around. No one seemed too bothered with me falling off some lowball traverse next to the path and everyone seemed to keep to themselves.

measles23

• stalker
#51 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 05:56:15 pm
Murph wound me up so much that Griff’s would be crowded by 4am (plan A), so I decided to practice ultimate social distancing by going there from 1am to 5am!

Strangely magical session; not particularly cold, skin went after an hour, but just couldn’t stop grinning even with the pain

Def has been lockdown activity there, but was too happy to resent it..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#52 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 06:07:12 pm
Kiddy-caving circuit at Stoney today. Surprised to finds legends reunited going on at Minus ten!

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#53 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 06:33:27 pm
Anyone know if the Millers Dale car park is open? Might take the lad for a scoot along the trail in his bike later on today - and have a drive by inspection of Blackwell etc...

Millers dale car park is open.
Yesterday the ticket machine was still covered too, but didn’t notice if that had changed today.

Bradders

• forum hero
#54 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 07:25:26 pm
Drove past the Cheerful Chilli mid-afternoon and both car parks busy. Not quite cars on the verges but close.

I went to Swastika Stones. Bit of chalk on a couple of things but hard to tell how old it might have been. Did a wonderful arete next to Swastika Eyes that featured a perfect stop-the-barn-door type move to reach the top. Brilliant feeling. Saw one other climber as I was walking out. Very few people on the Millenium Way.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#55 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 07:35:35 pm
Drove past the Cheerful Chilli mid-afternoon and both car parks busy. Not quite cars on the verges but close.

It does amaze me how people in north and west Leeds seem to see the Chevin as the only possible option for a walk! Always rammed.

I went to Slawston Bridge for some nostalgic traversing yesterday and to the Churnet today. Never been before, not sure why as its amazing. Car park was closed which is going to be an issue at the weekend as there were a lot of walkers cars about. Only saw a few other climbers at Wrights and was about to leave anyway when the second group turned up.

It feels fucking great i have to say.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#56 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 09:10:46 pm
I decided to practice ultimate social distancing by going there from 1am to 5am
:jaw:

nik at work

• forum hero
#57 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 09:13:07 pm
Rode along Ringinglow this evening, Burbage North parking was busy but no visible climbers on burb north west or south (admittedly hard to spot all of south from a bike on Ringinglow...). Saw three bouldering mats walking up to Higgar otherwise seemingly just walkers or drug dealers...??

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#58 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 09:46:35 pm
Kiddy-caving circuit at Stoney today. Surprised to finds legends reunited going on at Minus ten!

Moon, Moffatt and Sharma?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#59 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 10:30:13 pm

Moon, Moffatt and Sharma?
Where was Tony Simpson?

onlineclimber

#60 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 14, 2020, 11:05:51 pm
"Where was Tony Simpson?"

Am I ignorant or should I know who Tony Simpson is  :-[
The only Simpson I can think of is Richard Simpson. Now if it was him that could be an interesting meeting given Moon used to sponsor him before the  :worms: were opened.

webbo

• forum hero
#61 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 07:17:53 am
Tony Simpson legend of Rothwell climbing wall.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#62 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 08:29:45 am
If anybody goes sport climbing with someone from outside their household I'd be interested to know, honestly, whether you were able to maintain SD. I'm really keen to go and clip some bolts but not convinced it would be practical.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#63 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 08:53:39 am
If anybody goes sport climbing with someone from outside their household I'd be interested to know, honestly, whether you were able to maintain SD. I'm really keen to go and clip some bolts but not convinced it would be practical.

You have a youngling, no?
It’s never too early to teach them to hold your rope.
Toddler-schmoddler!
Just tack a 70ltr bergan and fill it with rocks and lash the little darling to it with a spare chalkbag belt. They’ll be fine with a Gri Gri.

Anyway, belayers are of only psychological benefit:

https://www.gif-vif.com/No-no-no-132

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#64 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 09:15:18 am
Went to Cottage Rocks in The Churnet. Roadside parking busy, but no-one at rocks. Beautiful setting, glorious sunny but cool and breezy weather, rock in good condition.

I did a few Font 5s. My skin lasted 5 problems, my motivation lasted 2. I felt depressed, apathetic and uninspired - and even less like a climber than I did during lockdown (i.e. not at all).

ali k

• junky
#65 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 09:19:08 am
I went out bolt clipping in the dales yday. Nice quiet spot. A few walkers came past, all very friendly. Two other parties there - one obviously another couple. The other two guys not from same household. Each party kept their distance from one another. No evidence of social distancing being practised by the two guys though and don’t see how it would be reasonably practical. Lots of rope in mouth action going on too. Just like with other work and life situations I can see even with the best will in the world once you get involved in something SD measures will slide.

Both other parties were open about having been out during lockdown too.

T_B

• forum hero
#66 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 09:28:17 am
I’ve heard that some 9 year olds are a solid 35kg. Would it be unethical for someone to attach a 5kg weight vest to their son so that they can use an Edelrid Ohm (minimum weight belayer 40kg). Asking for a friend.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#67 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 09:29:42 am
I'm not so worried about the rope in mouth thing. You just have one end of the rope for each person. But I can imagine milling around and getting on with it being tricky.

SamT

• forum hero
#68 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 10:33:28 am
Went to Stanage Pop last night. Incredible evening weather wise.   A few teams out.

Was first up at Rusty Wall area, to do a bit of warming up before my mate arrived.  One other team over on Black Hawk area.
Another team turns up and gets on Queersville - about 20 meters to the right.  Fair dos.
Another guy turns up, dumps his sack at Christmas Crack, 15m to the left. OK, not too bothered, but feeling a little busier then I might have liked.  But the one that really got to me was the next guy, couple of minutes later, wandering up toward the crag, then towards rusty wall, then literally dumps his sack 3m to my right.  I bit my lip and didn't say anything, just continued soloing about on rusty wall.  FFS.  The crag is 4 miles fecking long.  I know it wasn't really a problem, 2m and all that but it proper had me seething.  Just fuck off and find a different bit of crag.
He then jumped straight on queersville as the couple were topping out.
We headed over to Congo Corner area to get away from everyone, but then found that as we came back down off the top, the couple who had finished on Queersville, were setting off up Congo Corner, straight after us,  so we had to sort of nip in close and gather a bit of kit etc from the bottom.

I just couldn't see why, when there was no good reason to even be within 50m of each other.  People could be so single minded as to be within 2,3, 5 meters etc.

:no:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#69 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 10:35:23 am
Not unexpected sadly.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#70 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 10:41:15 am

An anonymous message on the PMs.

I was out sport climbing yesterday with a non-household member. I think if you were strict with yourselves, and clipsticked the first 2/3 bolts, it's doable. However in reality we very quickly slipped in to old habits. Judging by other parties at the crag, don't think we were the only ones.

Which is kind of what I expected might happen. I think I'll stick to bouldering for now.

tomtom

• forum hero
#71 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 10:58:54 am
Went to Stanage Pop last night. Incredible evening weather wise.   A few teams out.

Was first up at Rusty Wall area, to do a bit of warming up before my mate arrived.  One other team over on Black Hawk area.
Another team turns up and gets on Queersville - about 20 meters to the right.  Fair dos.
Another guy turns up, dumps his sack at Christmas Crack, 15m to the left. OK, not too bothered, but feeling a little busier then I might have liked.  But the one that really got to me was the next guy, couple of minutes later, wandering up toward the crag, then towards rusty wall, then literally dumps his sack 3m to my right.  I bit my lip and didn't say anything, just continued soloing about on rusty wall.  FFS.  The crag is 4 miles fecking long.  I know it wasn't really a problem, 2m and all that but it proper had me seething.  Just fuck off and find a different bit of crag.
He then jumped straight on queersville as the couple were topping out.
We headed over to Congo Corner area to get away from everyone, but then found that as we came back down off the top, the couple who had finished on Queersville, were setting off up Congo Corner, straight after us,  so we had to sort of nip in close and gather a bit of kit etc from the bottom.

I just couldn't see why, when there was no good reason to even be within 50m of each other.  People could be so single minded as to be within 2,3, 5 meters etc.

:no:

Thats shit. Ignorance or lack of consideration/ability to perspective take...

Easier typed than done, but I think its best to be direct in these situations? "excuse me - I'm not comfortable with you climbing that close to me". See what they do. Probably just ignorant of how others feel - and if they're that much of a Cnut that they stick around  - I'd just move on.

It is weird though when other people arrive: I had a deserted evening at W4 last night - until 8:30 when two people turned up (scoping for problems) - then Robin turned up to say hello from a distance - then three other people walked through having a look. Never seen so many people :D Anyway - it was certainly a bit weird when the first people arrived - and I was a bit more bristle with my greetings than normal. That was all explained afterwards...

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#72 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 01:09:14 pm
I’ve heard that some 9 year olds are a solid 35kg. Would it be unethical for someone to attach a 5kg weight vest to their son so that they can use an Edelrid Ohm (minimum weight belayer 40kg). Asking for a friend.

BMC ambassador says go for it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CANJA9-jYO2/?igshid=ahl3ebnl30tk

webbo

• forum hero
#73 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 01:37:52 pm
Went to the magnificent Ravenswick quarry, surprisingly there was no one else there. Although it was plastered with chalk including large tick marks on a lot of the footholds. It was nearly completely dry, the odd wet foothold. When I last went on March 2nd it was barely dry lots of seepage as well as run off.
It would appear to have been getting used during the lock down.
On a more positive note I am no shitter or just as shit when I last climbed there having not climbed since March 12th.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#74 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 15, 2020, 02:50:29 pm

A second child was useful as I used to clip them together

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal