UKBouldering.com

COVID-19 and the state of politics (Read 183597 times)

Nigel

• forum hero
I thought a "damascene conversion" was a well known concept? Not my audience I guess!

petejh

• forum hero
I feel like the national press, should simply refuse to use the hospital death category now and cease downplaying the toll.

Agree Matt. Well actually I think in the first instance the government should.

"Maximum transparency"?

But if they won't then at least the press should. The likelihood of that is slim however given the capture of the majority of the press (and BBC news) by the conservative party.

Gov just announced they're going to supplement the hospital figures with the figures for 'all settings', starting tomorrow.

How does the UK compare with other countries for providing data on deaths outside hospital? (genuinely don't know)

Nigel

• forum hero
Funnily enough Pete I just had a very quick look at that. From a very quick scan it looks like France do include their care home deaths. Or at least have done since early April. I know there are some France-based folk on UKB so they would know more? I don't think Spain or Italy do. The LSE are studying it Europ-wide and estimate that approx. 50% of total deaths will be in care homes. Just doing some further reading....

Nigel

• forum hero
In the meantime, quote from the Guardian live blog on the daily briefing:

Q: Testing in care homes was inadequate. PPE was inadequate. This seems to have taken you be surprise. Will you apologise for leaving people unprotected?

Hancock says he does not think that is reasonable as a question.

He says his department was aware of the problems in care homes right from the start.

He recalls a conversation in January about care homes. They knew the virus was particularly dangerous for care homes.

It is something we have focused on right from the start.

They "focussed" on it! Thank goodness. Shame they didn't actually do anything.

petejh

• forum hero
Funnily enough Pete I just had a very quick look at that. From a very quick scan it looks like France do include their care home deaths. Or at least have done since early April. I know there are some France-based folk on UKB so they would know more? I don't think Spain or Italy do. The LSE are studying it Europ-wide and estimate that approx. 50% of total deaths will be in care homes. Just doing some further reading....

Do people on here not think that's a crucial piece of information to know before saying how we compare?
I'd not be saying how we compare until I knew, well... how we compare.

Nigel

• forum hero
If your concern is comparing to other countries then yes the data should be apples vs apples. I would *guess* our "all settings" deaths may well align with those of Spain and Italy, once they issue "all settings" data.

ali k

• junky
Do people on here not think that's a crucial piece of information to know before saying how we compare?
I'd not be saying how we compare until I knew, well... how we compare.
This is something I pointed out many pages ago and is a question for the government. Presumably they have better access to know how each country collects their data given that we’re told most days that our scientific advisers are in contact with other countries. So why have they chosen to compare with other countries if it’s not a fair comparison? It’s not a mistake. It’s clearly been a conscious decision that has been made.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
The most baffling thing for me about our response to the pandemic is the lack of testing as a strategy. The WHO's mantra is test, test, test. South Africa, a country economically far behind the UK, is coping rather well so far, keeping infections and deaths down. Their health minister suggested it was down to house to house testing and tracing, using staff and expertise built up through the AIDS epidemic.

This Guardian article about the NHS app has some revealing reporting.

Firstly, Singapore's uptake of 20% of smartphone users suggest it may be limited in reach here too.

Secondly, Allyson Pollock, professor of public health at Newcastle University, made some points worth quoting:
It is absolutely ridiculous. You need the shoe-leather epidemiology, you need people on phones. Apps are simply supports for contact tracing....  You need people on old-fashioned things like telephones or going door to door and they need to be local teams because they need to understand the local communities

The whole system should be run by directors of public health and environmental health officers based in local authorities, with the resources they need, because they understand their community, she said. That was how it used to be, before the multiple restructuring culminating in the Health and Social Care Act 2012, which led to the decimation of public health disease control and its centralisation and fragmentation, she added.

We don’t know where the block is, but there is a huge block and huge resistance to doing this locally. This is partly because they’ve ripped out so much capacity and they’ve also ripped out the real-time data locally. “We are never going to get on top of this if we don’t put back the local capacity

Is this why testing stopped on 12 March, moving from contain to delay strategies, because after the 2012 reforms the capacity to continue simply wasn't there? Nor the political will to start re-establish the fragmented local capacity?

Anthony Costello is quoted suggesting it would have been effective to continue testing:
The UK “gave up very early”, said Anthony Costello, a professor of global health and sustainable development at University College London and a former WHO director. By 12 March, there had been 10 deaths and 590 confirmed cases, and about 3,500 contacts had been traced. But most of the cases were in London and the West Midlands. Continued testing, tracking and tracing could have kept the virus out of other regions and reduced deaths, he said.
“If we hadn’t stopped it on 12 March, our epidemic would have been much less. They effectively allowed it to spread,” he said.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I thought a "damascene conversion" was a well known concept? Not my audience I guess!

Sorry I fully admit my ignorance here! I was under the impression you were hoping he'd been barrel bombed by Asad.

stone

• forum abuser
mrjonathonr, what you are describing about reasons why "test-trace-isolate" was abandoned are more reasons why the "trace" part of that failed rather than reasons why the "test" part failed (correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems though that the same mindset though screwed up every part of what was needed. The "test" side of things is looked at in https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-coronavirus-testing .

My guess is that the 100k tests will get done on Thursday. However I guess they will largely just be a random smattering of key workers and care-home residents rather than part of a "test-trace-isolate" strategy such as advocated by the "test-test-test" WHO advice for snuffing out outbreaks.

Nigel

• forum hero
mrjonathonr, what you are describing about reasons why "test-trace-isolate" was abandoned are more reasons why the "trace" part of that failed rather than reasons why the "test" part failed (correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems though that the same mindset though screwed up every part of what was needed. The "test" side of things is looked at in https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-coronavirus-testing .

My guess is that the 100k tests will get done on Thursday. However I guess they will largely just be a random smattering of key workers and care-home residents rather than part of a "test-trace-isolate" strategy such as advocated by the "test-test-test" WHO advice for snuffing out outbreaks.

Interesting, thanks Stone. So in summary, the current "ramping up" in tests is most likely window dressing to an underlying herd immunity / do nothing strategy?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
The health commentator Roy Lilley on Care homes  (apologies again for a cut and paste rather than a  link but its a sign up service).

Social care...
News and Comment from Roy Lilley
How's yer granny?  Mine liked a port-n-lemon, shortbread biscuits, dripping sandwiches and played the piano, in a pub.  

Good old gran.  Have you got a gran?  Is she safe?  Where do you think she might be safe?

In a care-home, with people of her own age and experience, looked after by the super-well-intended... or...

At the top of a tower-block, depending on food parcels, the pharmacy delivering her medications and a twice a day phone call; 'How you doing Gran?'

If the data is to be believed, it looks like the tower-bloc might just be safer.

Deaths, in care-homes, from any cause have increased by 99% since the start of the outbreak.  The front-line of the Battle-of-Covid 2020, is now in care-homes.
Four Seasons Health Care reported a 79% increase in deaths in two weeks, bringing its toll to 286, 
The UK's largest private provider, HC One, of which the former boss of the CQC, David Behan, is now the executive chair, announced a 50% increase in deaths in 10 days, to 616. 
Bupa, revealed it had lost well over 200 residents with confirmed or suspected coronavirus.
If, as BoJo announced in his comeback speech, the 'tide is beginning to turn', he should know... it's still a riptide in care-homes.

Yesterday, England and Wales recorded 4,343 care-home coronavirus deaths in a fortnight.

Just where is safe for Gran?

I have nothing but admiration for care home staff, some of whom have left their own homes and are locked-down, with their clients, living in care-homes, some in tents, under siege.

Passion for the job, commitment to their work and vocation in their veins.

However, I have questions... would it be wrong to ask...

Is the inability of the care-home sector, to cope with CV-19, a reflection of a failure of regulation?  Care-homes, unlike nursing homes, are not required to have clinical input, the type of which may have improved infection control and clinical governance.  

Being able to operate a care-home, legally, without this level of cover, points to the need for legislation to end the artificial boundary between nursing and care.  Change regulation and licensing requirements.

Was it an error on the part of the DHSC to assume the privately run care sector would be robust enough to manage the epidemic themselves?  Were they left to their own devices?  Should the DH+ have intervened with the same robust response the health sector initiated? 

Is it reasonable to require, care home companies to have businesses continuity and epidemic emergency plans in place and their own reserve supplies of protective equipment, without looking to the DHSC for supply?

Is it reasonable for care-home companies to provide on-site testing, for their staff, as have Ocado, Amazon, ABB and others?

Is it a fact that the Covid-collapse of the sector means the CQC has been inspecting for the wrong things.  For instance; 48% of home care staff leave after less than a year in the job, and 73.5% leave within two years... isn't that a quality indicator?

Is it reasonable to assume that low-waged and high-churn staff cannot be adequately trained, beyond basic induction. 

Many care-homes are subsidised by private client's fees, paying, sometimes >double the rates local authorities pay, for the same care.  That is inequitable?  What part has funding played in the care-home Covid response?  

The Daily Mirror reported; HC-One Ltd made a loss of £6.5million in 2018 but the group perfectly legally, paid an estimated £40million in rent to offshore companies in the group.

The care-home business is vulnerable, fragmented, pressured, regulated for the wrong things, sometimes exploited.  Much like health services in 1948.  

Final question, the sector is highly fragmented, probably, in many cases, not viable and open to manipulation...  

... is the answer a fresh start?

Nationalisation and a proper Department of Health and Social Care? 
 ---------------------------
Contact Roy - please use this e-address
roy.lilley@nhsmanagers.net 
Know something I don't - email me in confidence.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
‘Not for the first time, Johnson gave the impression of wishing to restrain a restless British public, all of whom are desperate to know when they can please return to their beloved daily grind.’

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_uk/article/qjd7qb/uk-government-coronavirus-response-failures?__twitter_impression=true

mrjonathanr

• forum hero

Interesting, thanks Stone. So in summary, the current "ramping up" in tests is most likely window dressing to an underlying herd immunity / do nothing strategy?

That has seemed consistent with govt decision making to me.
Stone- yes a dearth of infrastructure to trace, but impacting testing capacity too I imagine. Testing has not matched declared aspirations. Rather than trumpeting 100k tests a day, I wonder how figures will stack up against 700k a week?

Nigel

• forum hero
... is the answer a fresh start?

Nationalisation and a proper Department of Health and Social Care?

I asked earlier in the thread whether a national social care system would have mitigated the problems we now see in care homes. So in response to your post Offwidth, and SF's link to the vice article, I would argue that we are maybe looking at one of the root causes of the current snafu - a political ideology, now verging on orthodoxy, that privatisation is "better" because it is "efficient". Ultimately, that leads to the spectacle of government ministers who aren't in charge of anything. To take a non-covid example the minister for transport is top dog for maybe roads. Rail? No, they just have to ask Northern Rail nicely to buck up when they fuck up. Buses? Dunno ask Stagecoach / First, not our problem. And further they are quite happy with that as it allows them to say "they are straining every sinew" while doing the sum total of fuck all in terms of real world action, and also to express regret when things go wrong because "it was out of their hands".

To relate it back to care homes and covid, *if* Hancock was *really* focussed on care homes back in January, what did he do? Probably nothing, or maybe sent an email to the private care home CEO's. He could instead have locked them down and set up temporary "hot" care homes for those leaving hospital in now defunct hotels, or some other corollary of the Nightingale hospital concept. Who knows, I'm not an expert. But it does typify the general right wing solution of "the market will provide". It is clear that in a pandemic, no, it doesn't. Bizarrely it seems the only one of them who gets it and actually wants to intervene is the ex-hedge fund manager chancellor.

tomtom

• forum hero
Isn’t Germany’s health care via social insurance and 2/3 of the facilities are private?

I’m no fan of privatisation - but the ideology here in the UK IMHO has been to spend as little as politically possible - and that’s maybe what’s at the root of all of that. whether that is expressed via privatisation policies/measures.

stone

• forum abuser

That has seemed consistent with govt decision making to me.
Stone- yes a dearth of infrastructure to trace, but impacting testing capacity too I imagine. Testing has not matched declared aspirations. Rather than trumpeting 100k tests a day, I wonder how figures will stack up against 700k a week?
I have to stress that although I'm personally doing snot-wrangling in the Alderly Park "mega-lab", I'm totally clueless as to what is going on. I basically get an email the evening before telling me whether or not to turn up at 7:30 the next morning. I then spend a shift in a hood, snot wrangling, then go home. Yesterday as I was clearing up, our floor coordinator chatted a bit so I gleaned a bit of info/speculation from her. But overall I'm no better informed than if I'd never been near a testing lab. I'm an ultra-minion (and delighted to be doing that).
My guess is that the hope is to get testing up to speed such that a South Korean type approach is feasible. But I haven't a clue to be honest.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Isn’t Germany’s health care via social insurance and 2/3 of the facilities are private?

I’m no fan of privatisation - but the ideology here in the UK IMHO has been to spend as little as politically possible - and that’s maybe what’s at the root of all of that. whether that is expressed via privatisation policies/measures.

Yes but Gemany spend about 50% more per capita than the UK

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthcaresystem/articles/howdoesukhealthcarespendingcomparewithothercountries/2019-08-29

andy popp

• forum hero

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Do you think he wrote two speeches, one saying a lockdown was advisable and one saying it wasn’t?

tomtom

• forum hero
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/29/revealed-the-inside-story-of-uk-covid-19-coronavirus-crisis

Summary: Johnson is too weak to take decisions.

Thats a chilling read for me. Well part chilling and part anger inducing.... Whilst the article doesnt shout it in italics - its fairly clear that contrary to the image #10 want to portray - they have not been led by the science - at times they have chosen to follow it and at times not. As well as introducing terms such as fatigue (to lockdown) in the context of scientific advice - when such terms do not exist. What a fucking mess we find ourselves in. What a mess.

andy popp

• forum hero
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/29/revealed-the-inside-story-of-uk-covid-19-coronavirus-crisis

Summary: Johnson is too weak to take decisions.

Thats a chilling read for me. Well part chilling and part anger inducing ... What a mess.

Yes, to both. When I found myself in an entirely trivial leadership position, I soon learned that not only did I now have the power to take decisions but that it was actually required of me that I take decisions. Johnson has spent his whole life being groomed for being in such positions, albeit on a much larger scale, and has spent years touting himself about as being the only person for such positions, only to show himself as utterly incapable.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Some articles looking at Public Health England in the context of the pandemic and the Landsley 'reforms'.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/29/the-coronavirus-crisis-the-centralising-failure-of-public-health-england/

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/29/the-coronavirus-crisis-public-health-england-fit-for-purpose-in-a-pandemic/

Sticking Public Health into councils, cash strapped by austerity, could turn out to be the worst mistake in decades in terms of improving health outcomes in England. At a time when we need local coordination to deal with ending the pandemic we are at the least prepared for such a challenge in modern history.

ali k

• junky
So after 32 daily Covid press conferences where our top scientific advisers have wheeled out a graph showing the ‘global comparison of deaths’, today a significant proportion was spent arguing why you shouldn’t compare with other countries. Including pointing out an article in the Guardian by David Spiegelhalter on that subject. It’s almost as if the graph showed us performing well or at least comparable with other countries until the last few days, at which point...”oh don’t bother looking at that it’s just meaningless anyway”. FFS.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal