UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291858 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1875 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 11, 2021, 05:49:14 pm
Informative reports, cheers. Cowboyhat see Mark S's post further up about the Roaches too.

I had contacts who went out locally in Lancashire with no issues, and on a quiet Froggatt walk on  the damp Sunday - not many people around and apparently a couple got away with having a picnic on a bench somewhere. Sat reports were similar to JB and SamT above.

mark s

• junky
#1876 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 11, 2021, 09:27:11 pm
Just had a message regarding staffs police
2 separate people fined for being in dimmingsdale. Neither saw any police. Taking regs of parked cars. St postcodes also.

petejh

• forum hero
#1877 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 11, 2021, 10:07:12 pm
Reports this evening from Llanberis MRT of a family SUV from Leicester, possibly a Vauxhall Frontera, destroyed in the Nant Peris area, by hellfire missile fired from Army Air Corp Apache callsign covid-one-nine on night patrol in the Pass and Ogwen valley. Local ground troops with tracker dogs hunted down and eliminated survivors who'd crawled into a culvert behind the Vaynol.     

tomtom

• forum hero
#1878 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 11, 2021, 10:11:10 pm
Reports this evening from Llanberis MRT of a family SUV from Leicester, possibly a Vauxhall Frontera, destroyed in the Nant Peris area, by hellfire missile fired from Army Air Corp Apache callsign covid-one-nine on night patrol in the Pass and Ogwen valley. Local ground troops with tracker dogs hunted down and eliminated survivors who'd crawled into a culvert behind the Vaynol.     

The Fronteras are quite good a setting fire to themselves anyway!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1879 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 11, 2021, 10:19:04 pm

The Fronteras are quite good a setting fire to themselves anyway!

I don’t believe a Frontera would have made it as far up as Pen-y-Pass without AA assistance.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#1880 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 12:50:53 pm
Boris Johnson criticised over bike ride seven miles from home

Just taking this case as an example. Seems like one can travel outside of the area of their city and seven miles is a perfectly reasonable distance.

That will certainly open up a lot more of the Peak for Sheffield based individuals.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1881 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 12:53:46 pm
Isnt the issue with BJ whether he was driven there for his bike ride - rather than if he rode from Downing Street... ??

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#1882 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 01:02:09 pm
They're refusing to say which obviously means he was driven there.
Plus there's several closer parks

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1883 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 01:08:32 pm
Just had a message regarding staffs police
2 separate people fined for being in dimmingsdale. Neither saw any police. Taking regs of parked cars. St postcodes also.

I heard that too from a local. Not just boulderers getting fined. Apparently it has been generally really busy since lockdown with people parking in passing places and the locals (not him!) complained.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1884 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 01:15:04 pm

I’m sure everyone is aware, my feelings for Bojo include a deep, profound, absence of love, empathy or charity.

However, the Prime Minister of the UK, has certain security concerns that must be taken into account. I should imagine those Incharge of his security detail, might have what is best described as a “conniption fit” at the idea of him cycling out the front door...

tomtom

• forum hero
#1885 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 01:18:25 pm
If I were a passer by, I might be inclined to shout out “off to get your eyes tested Boris?”

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1886 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 01:36:43 pm

Seems that way

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-cycle-7-miles-downing-street-olympic-park-b827961.html

“The Standard has asked 10 Downing Street whether the PM cycled to the park or was driven there in a vehicle for his bike ride. However, officials declined to clarify“

nik at work

• forum hero
#1887 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:02:46 pm
Does anybody really care if Bojo went for a bit of a bike ride or not??

(And wot Matt sed)

Bradders

• forum hero
#1888 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:05:20 pm

Quite. What a total waste of everyone's time.

webbo

• forum hero
#1889 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:14:30 pm

Seems that way

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-cycle-7-miles-downing-street-olympic-park-b827961.html

“The Standard has asked 10 Downing Street whether the PM cycled to the park or was driven there in a vehicle for his bike ride. However, officials declined to clarify“
Apparently he did Ride London 100 miles back in the day. So he can ride a bit.

IanP

• forum abuser
#1890 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:16:32 pm

Quite. What a total waste of everyone's time.

Agreed as well - his ride didn't seem in any very significant way to be outside the spirit of the current rules (particularly, as Matt points out, the particular challenges around the the fact that he is PM).

Rather than doubling down on outdoor exercise I'd much rather see more analysis from the government of where transmission is occurring and what can be done about it.  Compared to the March lockdown more people are working, more shops are open, supermarkets controlling numbers and social distancing significantly less etc etc.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1891 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:21:18 pm

(And wot Matt sed)

The reason people care is nothing to do with he did. It is because people are being prosecuted for doing much the same things.

He's the PM: he sets rules for the public to follow so should follow them himself.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1892 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:26:53 pm

(And wot Matt sed)
I'm pleased he got caught doing this, it sets a precedent that might reduce the chances of more kneejerk tightening of travel/excersice regs. It might incentivise the government to look for more fruitful areas to reduce the R value.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1893 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:27:44 pm
The reason people care is nothing to do with he did. It is because people are being prosecuted for doing much the same things.

Are they? I thought that fines for this sort of thing had been waived?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#1894 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:33:42 pm
I am not up to date with every fine issued across the UK Will so I won't debate that. I don't know for example, how far the cars parked in Dimmingsdale had travelled.

The point is the government has said nothing to indicate that travelling a few miles is wrong- Patel has made noises in support of police fining people in fact.

So the issue is about what the government messages to the public are, and whether they lead by example from the top.

Surely you can see the wider point here?

nik at work

• forum hero
#1895 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 02:58:12 pm
Nope, Boris bike riding is a steaming bag of storm in a teacup bullshit nothing news.
Let’s haul the gov across the coals for their actual mistakes, rather than focussing on crap like this.

Two women out for a walk some miles from home subject to excessively harsh treatment from police say press. Fine torn up and forgotten.

PM goes for bike ride some miles from home, press ask did he drive? We need answers! Unacceptable behaviour!! Let’s drag out all our comedy stock photo images of Bojo over the years and have a good old indignant laugh at the fat pompous idiot, ho ho ho how clever we are...

Certainly seems like one rule for them and another for us...

Sorry but this pointless, waste of time crap boils my piss. Surely there are better things to talk about? And to think we mock regional newspapers for their “SEAGULL STEALS CHIPS” headlines. We essentially have national news story of “man rides bike”, Christ...

abarro81

• forum hero
#1896 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 03:06:41 pm
I'm pretty chill about the whole Boris going biking thing, and agree that focusing on
1) the dumbass decision not to lock down before Christmas
and
2) what do we do now
and
3) how do we fix TTI and not fuck up vaccines
are all a better focus for the media. Or even giving Hancock shit for saying he fully supported the police in the mint-tea-ramble debacle before the saying he didn't know anything about the case  :slap:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1897 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 03:18:34 pm
Nope, Boris bike riding is a steaming bag of storm in a teacup bullshit nothing news.
Let’s haul the gov across the coals for their actual mistakes, rather than focussing on crap like this.

Two women out for a walk some miles from home subject to excessively harsh treatment from police say press. Fine torn up and forgotten.

Sorry but this pointless, waste of time crap boils my piss. Surely there are better things to talk about? And to think we mock regional newspapers for their “SEAGULL STEALS CHIPS” headlines. We essentially have national news story of “man rides bike”, Christ...

Not disagreeing with the thrust of your rant but this is thread about climbing during COVID and the above incidents are highly relevant to climbers who are agonising about whether they can or should drive to nearby crags and if so how far and how they might defend their actions if approached by the police.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:51:49 pm by shark »

petejh

• forum hero
#1898 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 03:33:39 pm
BoJo's the PM and as pointed out requires a team of security and can't just pop out his front door for a safe stroll or cycle.

Climbers, aren't.

End of story.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#1899 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 12, 2021, 04:04:45 pm
there is nothing wrong imo with him cycling like that.

What is wrong is the message that the public could be fined for similar. It is the discrepancy and the messaging which needs sorting  :wall:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal