UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291880 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1725 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 01:51:32 pm

2. Mandatory call-out charge for MRT rescues, that is also doubled if you're rescued outside your local area - again discourages travel, encourages more cautious outings, self-reliance, etc. Charge can be split between MRT donation and local hospital trust.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18985097.rescued-climbers-fined-covid-travel-breach/ not call-out charge, but were fined.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1726 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 01:52:29 pm
Sorry to divert from fishing, and despite not usually joining in this thread, I've got this nagging idea to share.

Travelling to exercise outdoors. What's the main problem?? Less the actual exercising outdoors alone, and more the following:

Travelling is not actually against the law, it's just a guideline, so it's not possible to legally enforce it in any way.

Yup, this policing by by consent thing is a double edged sword, isn’t it.
Pros and cons.
Unlike other nations, who have some, uh, odd(?) variations on that theme:
https://magicseaweed.com/news/police-throwing-stun-grenades-at-surfers-to-scare-them-out-of-the-water-in/12223/?fbclid=IwAR3yazE0VNoRZMHpL4h8v28KhZeoLhBYURqzCfasL0QJZjzHGdbEqt7faAg

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1727 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 02:02:15 pm
Whoever wrote that article clearly doesn't know the difference. Thunderflashes are basically a big crackers used in SA military training exercises, stun grenades are a different game altogether. We used to put leftover thunderflashes under helmets to see how high we could make them go.

nik at work

• forum hero
#1728 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 02:11:23 pm
While on heads?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1729 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 02:11:56 pm
Whoever wrote that article clearly doesn't know the difference. Thunderflashes are basically a big crackers used in SA military training exercises, stun grenades are a different game altogether. We used to put leftover thunderflashes under helmets to see how high we could make them go.

I was once sleeping, one cold winter’s night, on an improvised raft in a certain flooded Dartmoor Quarry; when a rather disagreeable, rebreather wearing, rubber clad Bootneck twunt, dropped a Thunder Flash into our midst.

Wanker.

Falling in the water in a Pussers slug, blinded and deafened and then trying to get out of the damn thing before you drown.

Character building, apparently.

FOST staff used to use them, along with CS, for engine;space fire exercises during the old Portland “Thursday War”. Being in a closed, steel walled,  compartment with one of those “little firecrackers” is also “fUN” (small f, capital un).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1730 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 02:18:06 pm
While on heads?

lol, no on the ground! Challenge was to catch the helmet rugby ball style without losing teeth, breaking nose, or taking it in the nuts.

Instructors woke us in bungalows once. Probably partial cause of my tinnitus, although I expect 155mm guns did more damage.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1731 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 02:20:00 pm
Travelling is not actually against the law, it's just a guideline, so it's not possible to legally enforce it in any way.

Doesn't stop Lancs police posturing like it is. I called up their social media posts (which wasn't just down to one force) regarding T4 restrictions and the response I got was the officer who posted, hadn't actually been briefed on the T4 legislation and incorrectly presumed it WAS law.

When everything was chopping and changing in a matter of days I can understand how this happens (even if wrapping various parts of the Forest of Bowland in Police tape was a bit much), but now I'm less sympathetic. The DCC think this doesn't matter as the consequences of people not complying are worse. I also struggle with this. During the first lockdown they behaved 'selectively' in terms of the enforcement within the local area. This included allowing landowner erected plywood signs nailed across PRoW on Pendle Hill remain for the duration.

I'm not an overly positive person, but I've been massively disheartened by Lancs police throughout this pandemic and had to deal with them recently when some twat overtook me on the bike (ending up with them parked in a tree) and was massively underwhelmed by their response (the very same day they put out a plea for information regarding a cyclist left for dead not too far away).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1732 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 02:28:15 pm
While on heads?

lol, no on the ground! Challenge was to catch the helmet rugby ball style without losing teeth, breaking nose, or taking it in the nuts.

Instructors woke us in bungalows once. Probably partial cause of my tinnitus, although I expect 155mm guns did more damage.

Do you guys get plagued by law firms offering to help you with your hearing loss claim? I get about five emails a week as a UK Veteran. Probably two a month about my arthritis claim and the odd one about asbestos (I was an Engineer). I reckon I actually get more of them than I do calls about the RTA I apparently had last week, every week (I must be a shit driver, with a terrible memory, seriously so).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1733 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 02:32:54 pm
No, none. No contact details on record with SA Military, and I reckon no firms in the UK know I served. Probably pointless anyway, SA Military stance would be - we issued you earplugs at the start of basics and ear defenders at start of large ordinance training , if you lost them / dropped them / they were stolen, you had to but new ones, like all the rest of the issued kit.

petejh

• forum hero
#1734 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 04:30:46 pm
While on heads?

[wor story]
I was once on a course with an SAS sniper whose face and ears were badly burnt after someone fired a Shamoolie (illumination flare to non-mil) at him during an exercise. Thing hit him and set fire to his Ghillie suit,  and he couldn't get the suit off..
[/wor story]

Perhaps the police should release electric eels to stun the surfers.
Landmines for skiiers.
Garotte wires for mtn bikers.
Punji pits for hillwalkers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:39:13 pm by petejh »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1735 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 04:46:04 pm
While on heads?

[wor story]
I was once on a course with an SAS sniper whose face and ears were badly burnt after someone fired a Shamoolie (illumination flare to non-mil) at him during an exercise. Thing hit him and set fire to his Ghillie suit,  and he couldn't get the suit off..
[/wor story]

Perhaps the police should release electric eels to stun the surfers.
Landmines for skiiers.
Garotte wires for mtn bikers.
Punji pits for hillwalkers.

I like the war stories. Climbers generally have a few Epics tucked away in their scarred, distressed, memory cells. These things are far more entertaining than Netflix. I wish people shared them more.

Yes, my kids think I’m a boring old codger and I hear “Heard it!” quite often...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1736 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 05:19:04 pm
Phosphorous burns are horrific, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1737 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 06:48:02 pm
'mon the  :fishing: :fishing: :fishing:

Our fishing club has sensibly decided that, since the ponds are not near anyone's house, we should not be going there.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1738 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 06:50:03 pm
Thank god all the crags are handily located in towns, villages or parts of cities.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1739 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 06:53:17 pm
Thank god all the crags are handily located in towns, villages or parts of cities.

If the village or part of city you live in is S11 or S32, you'd be thanking god

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1740 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 07:49:42 pm

Come and live the Aire Valley, Cheque. Riddled with grit up here.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1741 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 07, 2021, 09:21:31 pm

Nobody I know lives closer to Bell Hagg than you Cheque, I look forward to a schooling from the Crosspool showpony!

205Chris

• forum hero
#1742 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 11:35:36 am
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the crag:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

The police force involved, Derbyshire Police, said driving for exercise was "not in the spirit" of lockdown.

The BBC contacted the Cabinet Office, Home Office, College of Policing and National Police Chiefs' Council to ask for clarification over what they define as "local area" in relation to exercise. None could clarify this.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#1743 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 11:51:34 am

The police force involved, Derbyshire Police, said driving for exercise was "not in the spirit" of lockdown.

Crikey. So if you are going bouldering at Burbage, the message is to not take a flask, right?

I also heard (third hand) about police at Longshaw turning people away yesterday. Apparently the climber had a conversation with the officer, who thought that climbing would probably be stretching the legislation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1744 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 11:57:54 am
Blimey. Are cold drinks classed as a picnic too? Water? What's current legal stance on this Ru? :)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1745 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 12:01:04 pm
Thats disgraceful. Derbyshire Police are having such a bad pandemic.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#1746 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 12:12:29 pm
Christ! Just read that article and can’t believe the force actually have the nerve to try to defend their actions.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1747 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 12:17:20 pm

The BBC contacted the Cabinet Office, Home Office, College of Policing and National Police Chiefs' Council to ask for clarification over what they define as "local area" in relation to exercise. None could clarify this.

Came here to post this. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Particularly concerning that the College of Policing are saying it's up to individual officer's discretion, when they have no legal right to do so given there is nothing in the legislation around travel to exercise.

Derbyshire Police said: "It is up to each individual officer on a case-by-case basis to decide what is reasonable as the legislation does not proscribe a distance."

In fact that's wrong. The legislation doesn't even say you can't travel for exercise, let alone prescribe an allowed distance! It says exercise is a reasonable excuse to be outside your home, simple as that.

You can't fine people or otherwise sanction them for doing things that are "not in the spirit" of the lockdown!!

Crikey that's pushed my buttons  :lol:

abarro81

• forum hero
#1748 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 12:19:49 pm
Similarly, I kind of now fancy going out into the peak to get into an argument with the police. Which is dumb since I'm only fingerboarding to rehab an injured finger at the moment anyway.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1749 Re: Climbing during CV-19
January 08, 2021, 12:28:00 pm

Nobody I know lives closer to Bell Hagg than you Cheque, I look forward to a schooling from the Crosspool showpony!

:lol: I could well be the climber who lives closest. I used to climb there quite a bit and had plans to go every day and get the place wired after I finished the Seaside (I moved here the same week I started filming it) but then I had my accident and haven’t been able to boulder or risk a ground fall since so it’s not really very appealing any more.  :boohoo:

I was just making a daft joke about the odd wording of the guidance and how we all fit it around what we think is reasonable- none of us would have described Burbage as being in Hathersage let alone Sheffield a year ago would we?  ;)

Back on the subject of Bell Hagg- there’s still both climbed and unclimbed rock on the (once again empty) golf course above it for any S10 residents who are up for it this lockdown.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal