UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291849 times)

ali k

• junky
#1375 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 07:35:09 pm
Basically all the Peak people need to stay down south and not come up here clarting up our crags.
Don’t worry next weekend I won’t be climbing but I’ll be at kilnsey in my hazmat suit checking people as they park up. Lift sharing with no proof of address = brick through the window to add ventilation for the return journey. Once the parking fills up I’ll patrol the crag for rule breakers, take photos and compile a report for a ukc thread on Monday.

36chambers

• forum hero
#1376 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 07:43:34 pm
Basically all the Peak people need to stay down south and not come up here clarting up our crags.
Don’t worry next weekend I won’t be climbing but I’ll be at kilnsey in my hazmat suit checking people as they park up. Lift sharing with no proof of address = brick through the window to add ventilation for the return journey. Once the parking fills up I’ll patrol the crag for rule breakers, take photos and compile a report for a ukc thread on Monday.

You could hang a bright rope from the first bolt of every route to make it easier to judge how far apart people are ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:48:41 pm by 36chambers »

Rob F

• menacing presence
#1377 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 07:52:36 pm
I think lesson learnt and move on. Make a donation to the bolt fund / encourage others to do the same and make something good out of the situation. Sounds like a sledgehammer has been used to knock in a nail and I'm sure Ali was not intending to upset when he set off from home.

Think the BMC should be involved (in whatever capacity they see fit). An update of online relevant crag visiting information needs to take place. There's two issues here (maybes three), traveling from afar / parking, homing in on honeypot crags and routes.

Does the contact app work at Kilnsey, my phone never works once off the road. A positive case would mean a quiet crag for 2 weeks.

And Ali- could have been worse, at least your rope wasn't in the first couple of clips of that route Gresham retro'd a couple years back 🙂

Rob F

• menacing presence
#1378 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 08:06:57 pm
... in fact, the two parties should team up and make a utube clip detailing best practice. It would make a beautiful end to the whole situation.

(With Will in the background too pumped to clip the belay karabina at his 10th attempt of trying)

Ged

• junky
#1379 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 08:44:06 pm
The risk of catching it off a rope/draw at Kilnsey must be minuscule.
I can’t explain it. Rationally I know all this, and I’ve done far riskier things in my climbing life. I’ve just got completely paranoid for some reason.

Surely it's fairly easy to explain. You have strong will to not get a viral infection that has the potential to be really bloody nasty. And a strong urge to do the right moral thing and not help said infection spread. I don't think that's being paranoid.

Anyway I've been way too nice to you for the last 2 days now. Piss off back to your crappy limestone choss piles you lanky twat. Aaah that feels better.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1380 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 09:10:59 pm
Apart from Lees Bottom I haven’t been to a crag with 50 - 100 climbers

I don't think I could cope with crowded crags any more, especially with CV 19 now. I keep getting a hankering for a trip down to the gritstone, then remember how crowded some of them get, and think I'm probably better off falling off my shitty, sharp greasy, eliminates on my own (no I don't mean Peak Limestone).

Likewise heading down to the SW for a surf trip. Need to accept I'm an intolerant, antisocial old bastard these days.

Duma

• forum hero
#1381 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 09:47:28 pm
😂 😂 😂 It's true three nine in person is a lot less intimidating than his (once) online presence!

Paul B

• forum hero
#1382 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 10:00:02 pm
I think there's a bit of a problem with BMC RAD, or at least there is in Lancs. I noticed that a crag local to me was being advised on FB (from the local BMC page) as being temporarily off-limits. However, I'd checked the RAD that morning thinking I'd go and test my injured wrist out and it wasn't mentioned (it's still marked as green today). Similar noises were made about more popular crags by various friends. I messaged the BMC local FB page and got a response saying they'd contact the local access rep but thought it was still off limits and the reason for RAD being out of date was insufficient volunteers able to update it/furloughed staff.

UKC were quick to add something to their database regarding Covid19 which has been amended over time (and is now fairly minimal). It seems less than ideal that RAD hasn't had similar, even it was just a blanket piece of text saying access hadn't yet been reviewed in light of Covid19.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1383 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 22, 2020, 10:44:11 pm
I know a couple of people who seem to have access to the RAD who definitely aren't the access rep. Not sure how it works over t'hills but maybe ask whether you can have access and see what they say?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1384 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 12:06:00 am

Apart from Lees Bottom I haven’t been to a crag with 50 - 100 climbers...

:lol:
To think I spent most of last summer their on my tod.
Did notice the layby has been a bit full the last times I've passed.
I hope the heaving masses are looking after that crappy wall/fence! It'll be Whitehouses all over again if a herd of cows escapes into Shacklow Woods!

UnkArl

• player
#1385 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 11:12:48 am
Craggy Guildford have announced they’re re-opening on the 6th July  :popcorn:

tomtom

• forum hero
#1386 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 11:28:20 am

I hope the heaving masses are looking after that crappy wall/fence! It'll be Whitehouses all over again if a herd of cows escapes into Shacklow Woods!

From the last insta pic I saw of LB the fence looked in a bit of a sorry (not functioning) state. Hope someone has propped it back up...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1387 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 11:42:49 am
You'd have thought with that many visitors at least one would have a working set of eyes and half a gram of common sense.  :wall:

Bradders

• forum hero
#1388 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 11:43:13 am

From the last insta pic I saw of LB the fence looked in a bit of a sorry (not functioning) state. Hope someone has propped it back up...

It was fine last time I was there a couple of weeks ago.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1389 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Excellent! thats great to hear!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:21:43 pm by tomtom »

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#1390 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 12:07:28 pm
The fence was in good condition in Wednesday night.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1391 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 01:03:51 pm
Craggy Guildford have announced they’re re-opening on the 6th July  :popcorn:

Only if they break the law.

Indoor gyms, which covers us as a climbing wall “must remain closed for now”.

Same for hairdressers.

This round of easing has all been about pubs, that’s all. I can understand why, to a point, but the government has been bloody irresponsible with it’s “teasing” approach. I have been busting a gut to instal a massive ventilation system, to be able to open asap.
I could have been outside climbing or diving instead and working at a more reasonable pace. It also means the guys stay on furlough a bit longer.

Also, how do you drink beer with a mask on?

gme

• forum hero
#1392 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 01:16:53 pm
Lots of other walls announcing opening as well OMM.

Did they all just jump the gun before today’s announcement or looking at ways round the guidance?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:38:31 pm by gme »

Brannock

• regular
#1393 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 01:24:48 pm
Can walls claim they are leisure centres? Seems quite a stretch.

Duma

• forum hero
#1394 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 01:26:23 pm
Johnson specifically said gyms must stay shut, don't see how a wall could open in that case

gme

• forum hero
#1395 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 01:40:05 pm
I have never been to a climbing “gym” nor do I climb “blocs”so I will be allowed to go.

Bradders

• forum hero
#1396 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 02:39:17 pm
Might it be a similar situation to the pubs who've basically said they're opening irrespective of what the Government say? I.e., we're going to go bust if we don't open, so we've nothing to lose and might as well take our chances.

Have had emails from all the gyms I've given my address to saying they're hoping to open very soon. Personally think they should go ahead with the virus now at such a low level in the community.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1397 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 03:06:45 pm
Lots of other walls announcing opening as well OMM.

Did they all just jump the gun before today’s announcement or looking at ways round the guidance?

I think they did.

We were all ginned up to go.

Spoke to our legal guys at Peninsula, they don’t see any way that we are not an indoor gym or sports facility and therefore cannot open. That’s just from an employment perspective, if we employed people to be here, we’d be doing so illegally. 

Not sure what the ABC position is.

Edit:

Ironically, after years of resisting, we decided to apply to the ABC. Iwas doing forms this morning.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1398 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 03:25:23 pm
Places of worship are allowed to open on the 4th too for communal worship (Churches  - expect Mosques too)

Seems surprising to not allow gyms in that context.

Obviously the church contributes more to the Conservative party than the Climbing Wall Owners federation (etc...) :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1399 Re: Climbing during CV-19
June 23, 2020, 03:33:34 pm
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts...

Wonder if it's possible to get places like UCR re sanctified?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal