UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291822 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1150 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 21, 2020, 01:42:33 pm
Not sure of this BMC update has already been linked? Seems fairly clear that climbing is still a no no...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1151 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 21, 2020, 01:45:41 pm
😂 yeah great split guys.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1152 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 21, 2020, 06:53:06 pm
FFS it’s a judgement call every time I do a split. They are a PITA to do. This is the first time I can recall anyone complaining. I can merge back together if you want

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1153 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 22, 2020, 09:35:24 am
I haven’t seen this linked yet so sorry if it has:

https://eveningsends.com/pretending-not-to-climb/

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1154 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 22, 2020, 09:49:43 am
I haven’t seen this linked yet so sorry if it has:

https://eveningsends.com/pretending-not-to-climb/

"The Scolds". Brilliant.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1155 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 22, 2020, 04:13:19 pm
Interesting update to the regs:

https://coronavirus.blackstonechambers.com/new-lockdown-restrictions-clarification-or-confusion/

"(1)  During the emergency period, no person may leave or be outside of the place where they are living without reasonable excuse…”

I think this is aimed at the spend-the-day-hanging-in-the-park crew, and if you are 'exercising' you're fine. But we'll see.

ali k

• junky
#1156 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 22, 2020, 04:31:10 pm
I’m not sure where they’re getting the data for motor vehicle usage from in these daily press briefings but it increasingly seems like bollocks to me. I’d put a conservative estimate on a 10 fold increase this week compared with the start of lockdown.

[N=1]

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#1157 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 22, 2020, 04:52:25 pm
Interesting update to the regs:

https://coronavirus.blackstonechambers.com/new-lockdown-restrictions-clarification-or-confusion/

"(1)  During the emergency period, no person may leave or be outside of the place where they are living without reasonable excuse…”

I think this is aimed at the spend-the-day-hanging-in-the-park crew, and if you are 'exercising' you're fine. But we'll see.

I don't think that's what it does. We've all been fools and misread the previous regulations. It used to be the case that you could do whatever the hell you wanted, provided that you had originally left home for a listed reasonable excuse. JB, all this time there was nothing stopping you (except The Scolds) from going to Stanage, provided that you went to the shops first. The legislation only required you to have a reasonable excuse to leave home. Once you'd left, you had carte blanche to swan around as you saw fit. There was nothing to compel you to return home, so the hang-about-in-the-park-all-day crew were never in breach of the law, provided they didn't gather and did some exercise when they initially arrived at the park, or indeed on the way. This new wording fixes that, though with what further ramifications I'm not sure. It doesn't look like they've added in any guidance as to how long you may exercise, so you still just have to be able to argue that it's reasonable.

crimpinainteasy

• addict
#1158 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 23, 2020, 05:04:42 pm
From the look of the ft data the UK is about a week behind Austria, but I suppose it all depends how that week goes and how willing the government is to relax things. 

For the first time in a while I am positive about things,  admissions are dropping and deaths are beginning to decline.

:o

Yesterday we had more deaths in one day that Austria has had in total...

Today we recorded 100 times more new CV cases than Austria (4600 to 46)...

Our rates have dropped for two days on the bounce which is a really hopeful sign - but I'd have thought we're months more than weeks away - just looking at the numbers.
I mean in terms of the chronology of the outbreak, sorry,  acceleration,  plateau, decline.  Obviously we had a much bigger outbreak

I'd say we're about 1.5- 2 months behind Austria in terms of progress, but you also have to remember the UK has 7.5  times the population of Austria so of course the number of cases is going to be several orders of magnitude greater.

I'd say Germany is a better comparison when trying to understand to compare how we could be hadling the virus better.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:11:28 pm by crimpinainteasy »

neilpearsons

• regular
#1159 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 06:09:16 pm
To the folks bouldering at Raven Tor this afternoon - I'm trying to understand your behaviour as something other than complete selfishness. Please disbuse me of this notion, because I've got lots of time on my hands at the moment and a lifelong project at the Tor. Many many people would have been there today but chose to do the right thing instead. What excuse have you got?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1160 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 06:22:33 pm
To the folks bouldering at Raven Tor this afternoon - I'm trying to understand your behaviour as something other than complete selfishness. Please disbuse me of this notion, because I've got lots of time on my hands at the moment and a lifelong project at the Tor. Many many people would have been there today but chose to do the right thing instead. What excuse have you got?

Hardly likely to be anyone on here?

onlineclimber

#1161 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 06:52:07 pm
Just out of interest did you say anything to these people at the Tor?

Whilst it certainly doesn't seem to be the most discreet venue, given the amount of people driving further than I'd consider local for biking/walking and large numbers of cars/motorcyclist driving/riding at very high speeds about (unlikely to be on essential travel). I find it hardly surprising that someone thought it would be fine to go bouldering. I think lockdown fatigue is truly setting in.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1162 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 06:53:07 pm
To the folks bouldering at Raven Tor....

Hardly likely to be anyone on here?
:agree:
Besides which, what sort of lunatic boulders at the Tor on a sunny day in the afternoon!!? Barbarians.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1163 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 06:56:42 pm
I hope you live in Litton/Tideswell, or that question is likely to backfire quite hard.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1164 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 07:32:08 pm
Last time we discussed this it sounded like there were some van-lifers living there. The ones at Stanage have been moved to the campsite to try to discourage others, but there are two or three more drifting around the eastern edges.

As I've said before, I cannot believe the rush to be judging pricks when not in full possession of the facts. Even if they're not living there, that session might be their last resort before throwing themselves under a train. People are struggling. Wind your fucking necks in.

webbo

• forum hero
#1165 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 08:47:55 pm
So they just can’t go for a walk or a run, they have to go bouldering. The poor sods it’s not like they are living on the 20th floor of a tower block and can’t even go and sit in their local park.
They made a choice to BUY and live in a van and the cost of van would get you a deposit for a mortgage in most northern areas.
So sometimes you have to deal with the choices you make.

kac

• addict
#1166 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 08:57:50 pm
As someone who loves climbing at the tor I can empathise with the need to vent. Does anyone actually think it is OK to climb at the tor at the moment? Regarding mental health Adam yes lots of people are struggling and probably more the ones not out climbing rather than the people out at the tor today. What would help is not telling people to wind their fucking necks in.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#1167 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 09:02:08 pm
What if we tell the people who are telling the people to wind their necks in to wind their necks in to wind their necks in?

there are two or three more drifting around the eastern edges.

How do you know?!
Witch! Witch! Witch!

Fatboyslimfast2

• regular
#1168 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 09:55:25 pm
Was it yellow trousered overgrading youtube star maybe?

The people that are 'living' in there vans...its amazing how they disappear somewhere for 5 days then come back almost like they go somewhere to refresh and wash clothes, shower and pick up mail.....

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1169 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 10:22:51 pm

Struggling with ones mental health is not carte blanche to stick two fingers up at the rest of the climbing community. I suspect people have drawn their red lines on this already but I maintain that you don't need to presume that someone is at the point of a gun before criticising their actions. Loads of people are struggling with not getting out, me included.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1170 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 10:58:59 pm

Struggling with ones mental health is not carte blanche to stick two fingers up at the rest of the climbing community. I suspect people have drawn their red lines on this already but I maintain that you don't need to presume that someone is at the point of a gun before criticising their actions. Loads of people are struggling with not getting out, me included.

I'd agree, and might venture that if you were really struggling with your mental health, I find it somewhat unlikely that you'd be well psyched to go and pull down hard at the tor. I know it would depend on how and the individual, but I find it very hard to think that these people are anything other than totally selfish, socially irresponsible toerags who think that their passing gratification is somehow worth more than the twenty thousand people who've already died.
Maybe they have a good excuse though.

webbo

• forum hero
#1171 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 25, 2020, 11:11:37 pm
 :clap2:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1172 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 26, 2020, 08:50:00 am
So, avoiding this thread, in general (and the other one absolutely), but, I thought it worth pointing out that, the behaviour of “others” is beyond our control. Unfortunately, public and probably the authorities perception will be influenced by the extreme examples.
I don’t think it will necessarily need to be “climbing” related ( in our eyes), I expect being an “extreme sport” will be enough to tarnish a range of activities.

Anyway, those uncontrollable idiots have begun undermining their governing body’s best efforts:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/teams-devon-cornwall-help-locate-4079403

Ged

• junky
#1173 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 26, 2020, 08:59:50 am
Last time we discussed this it sounded like there were some van-lifers living there. The ones at Stanage have been moved to the campsite to try to discourage others, but there are two or three more drifting around the eastern edges.

As I've said before, I cannot believe the rush to be judging pricks when not in full possession of the facts. Even if they're not living there, that session might be their last resort before throwing themselves under a train. People are struggling. Wind your fucking necks in.

Oh come on. If somebody is genuinely struggling with their mental health, scrappy limestone bouldering involving huge amounts of motivation is hardly the obvious choice. To suggest that somebody on the verge of suicide would have the wherewithal to go bouldering is at best daft, and at worst really quite insensitive.

What's even worse than people sticking their necks out and criticising these folk, is people using mental health as a cheap excuse to fuck things up for everyone.

Somebody summed things up nicely on the other channel with a post along the lines of "it's OK for me to drop litter because nobody else is".

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1174 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 26, 2020, 09:15:14 am
As an aside to the arguments around the rightness or wrongness, people seem to be projecting their own feelings about Raven Tor and limestone bouldering onto the situation. Just because one’s own preferred form of climbing head clearing is a solo circuit at Burbage, or some easy sea cliff climbing, does not mean that someone else won’t feel a lot better after trying really hard on their problem of choice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal