UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291842 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#375 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 09:09:14 am
Club swinging, is a great aerobic upper body workout. Clubs can be improvised with dumbbells, if you have them.

Make a slosh pipe?

https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles/slosh-pipe-workout-the-best-slosh-pipe-exercises

monkey boy

• forum hero
#376 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 09:19:50 am
I debated whether to upload this video but all the problems were climbed before the government lock down on March 23rd and before the BMC asked us to not go climbing or hill walking. During my times visiting Doll Tor I didn't see another person walking in or out and definitely not whilst at the crag. I am also pretty sure no one else visited on the days I wasn't there.

Anyway, disclaimer out of the way here are a few new mantle's and Brain Storm, a brilliant low start to Gathering Storm. I hope people enjoy the video; the quiet, the sounds, the scenery and the climbing and can use it for a bit of training motivation in these strange times.

The rock will still be there when all this is over, although maybe a little more moss covered. Enjoy!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#377 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 09:57:50 am

Make a slosh pipe?

https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles/slosh-pipe-workout-the-best-slosh-pipe-exercises

They're really good from my brief go. I think the instability of the water sloshing around probably translates to climbing - holding positions and fine tuning the minor muscles you don't get from machines. A friend of mine invented the 'aquatube' and worked on it for years. It's a lovely idea but always struck me as too easily copied/DIYed. I reckon there's a better version using gels of various 'viscosity/flows' so you'd get the effect of balancing the shifting weight but in a more controlled manner. Wonder if you could do this with some home cooking, like those silly putties the kids were into a while ago?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#378 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 10:38:45 am
I made one a few years back - they’re absolute bastards and great fun.  Just holding it above your head is a full body workout.

I’ve unpacked the weights for the first time in years - gonna get  :strongbench:

andy popp

• forum hero
#379 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 11:30:14 am
I debated whether to upload this video but all the problems were climbed before the government lock down on March 23rd and before the BMC asked us to not go climbing or hill walking. During my times visiting Doll Tor I didn't see another person walking in or out and definitely not whilst at the crag. I am also pretty sure no one else visited on the days I wasn't there.

Anyway, disclaimer out of the way here are a few new mantle's and Brain Storm, a brilliant low start to Gathering Storm. I hope people enjoy the video; the quiet, the sounds, the scenery and the climbing and can use it for a bit of training motivation in these strange times.

The rock will still be there when all this is over, although maybe a little more moss covered. Enjoy!

Great fun Dave! I'm confused by what becomes Palma Violence (great name!) and the problem shown from above immediately before. They appear to be the same problem but you're wearing different clothes. Am I confused?

Harry Palma would be another good know (old Michael Caine character).

Murph

• forum abuser
#380 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 12:51:15 pm
Really enjoyed that David. 3:10 looked like it could have ended badly!

Thanks for posting. I doubt any of us will take getting out on a rock for granted again.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#381 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 03:39:08 pm

Great fun Dave! I'm confused by what becomes Palma Violence (great name!) and the problem shown from above immediately before. They appear to be the same problem but you're wearing different clothes. Am I confused?

Haha they are the same problem. The day I brushed the boulder up I did Palma Violence (shot from above) from one move in, I then tried to add the first move but couldn't repeat the mantle. I then came back and managed to repeat the mantle with the first move before. So both are Palma Violence, just thought two angles was good. That make sense? When it's shot from above I can technically pull on there from the ground but I thought most people wouldn't be able to and so added the first move as I thought it was a better/more obvious starting place.

Glad you enjoyed it, I loved brushing them up and figuring them out.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#382 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 03:44:12 pm
Please can we have names and grades for all problems in future? Ta  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#383 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 04:31:29 pm
Just so Will can downgrade them before he even tries them, let alone does them :)

monkey boy

• forum hero
#384 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 04:45:15 pm
Please can we have names and grades for all problems in future? Ta  :)

There are names. Grades wise they are mantles so quite specific. Palma Anderson and Palma Ham are in the 6's and Palma Violence is somewhere in the mid 7's. It felt harder than other mantle's I have done with the exception of Raw Deal.

gme

• forum hero
#385 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 05:31:06 pm
I made one a few years back - they’re absolute bastards and great fun.  Just holding it above your head is a full body workout.

I’ve unpacked the weights for the first time in years - gonna get  :strongbench:

I remember pissing about with that thing in your garden after a load of beers with Giles. Desperate.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#386 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 07:39:31 pm
Yeah that’s it.  It’s surprisingly difficult to even pick the damn thing up and put it over your head never mind hold it there for any length of time (especially after beers !)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#387 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 25, 2020, 08:33:08 pm

Palmistry for the superstitious. Charterhouse of Parma for the Stendhal fans out there. The palmed off etc puns are endless.  :popcorn:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#388 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 11:41:49 am
No space nor hanging options for a punchbag. Have tried yoga several times with well-reputed classes / tutors, can't stand it.

Just went for a sort of run. 5 mins running, 2 mins walking, x 3, horrendous. Worst run for a while. Had just been getting my fitness back up noticably and essentially recently via regular days out climbing and occasional gym sessions.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#389 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 11:50:33 am
Hi Fiend

What do you have at home to use? There are plenty of interval/HIIT/tabata style workouts you could do just focussing on upper body and/or core and not using your legs so much. These should be sufficient to get your CV system working hard. There’s tonnes of variations of these that could be equipment free too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#390 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 12:00:52 pm
We’ve been doing the Joe Wicks kids PE thing every morning at 9 on YouTube. It’s quite good fun and gets my ticker going (162 today...). Quite a nice way to start the day actually. Always feel better after.

I hate exercise too.

gme

• forum hero
#391 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 12:39:42 pm
My 16 year old super fit rugby playing son has just told me hes got a training program from his S&C coach that we are going to do together starting tomorrow when i get home.

This frightens me a lot and will either make me into some kind of athlete or dead. Another reason i hope this thing is over quickly.

Any competitive dads with young kids enjoy doing sport with them now as it gets hard when your in your 50s and they are 16+. I can just keep ahead of him on squats and DL despite me weighing nearly 30kg more than him and cardio i might as well just give up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:46:51 pm by gme »

tomtom

• forum hero
#392 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 12:41:53 pm
I’ll be 62 when our lad is 16 😂😂

No point in trying then 😃

gme

• forum hero
#393 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 12:48:33 pm
I assure you the fact there is no point wont stop you trying.

I can still burn both of mine of climbing but they win at that by refusing to go.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#394 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 01:00:30 pm
Mine had just started to burn me off at the bouldering wall at 15 (me 58) when he decided to quit & go & lift weights with his mates instead. Phew.  :whistle:

Paul B

• forum hero
#395 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 01:16:21 pm
Any competitive dads with young kids enjoy doing sport with them now as it gets hard when your in your 50s and they are 16+. I can just keep ahead of him on squats and DL despite me weighing nearly 30kg more than him and cardio i might as well just give up.

When I started hiding from rugby at school (around the time others started getting bigger and I, didn't  :tumble:) squash was my savior. We had a great team TBH (one went on to be professional rugby player who has now retired and returned to the school as a coach) and went unbeaten for ages until a certain Scottish school came to visit and left us all distraught.

Anyhow, despite this (being pretty handy) and other training, I've never managed to beat my Dad at squash. Similarly, he had a heart attack the other year and I still think I'd struggle to keep up with him on a bike on anything but descents (where he's more self-aware).

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#396 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 02:10:54 pm
Anyone recognise their vehicle... :)
http://twitter.com/i/status/1243168931503882241

tomtom

• forum hero
#397 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 26, 2020, 02:20:13 pm
We have the odd situation in our road. Where one house in isolation (family of 4) one is now 8 days from symptoms and feeling better so getting out and about. But two in her house are still quite ill. So obvs still in the 14 days. Yet she can walk in and out of the house with no restrictions. Is this Ok? Does this mean she can leave fomites transferred from the house she’s in - despite not being infectious herself?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Paul B

• forum hero
#399 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 27, 2020, 01:31:22 pm
there are two things that the PM can never instruct, one being something illegal, the second being something unsafe.

Neither of which apply when the Government guidance is that construction sites can remain open if social distancing is carried out. The simple fact is that if businesses are debating whether to stay open or not they're highly likely to come down on the side of staying open unless forced to close either by HMG or public pressure as with Sports Direct this morning.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say (and failing), in that if you follow the hierarchy of the legislation (HSAW, The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations, PPE etc.), you simply can't comply with what the government is saying (you won't be able to justify it on a risk assessment):
https://www.building.co.uk/news/site-shutdowns-prompted-by-health-and-safety-legislation-lawyer-says/5105225.article?fbclid=IwAR03ESx4TDnVXWO5BRnJASvDUFGMjG5kQTeqWN4atwuaga8ZnOjsniXWR3M

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal