UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291869 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#200 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 01:35:57 pm
Davo you’ve written about talking about the options and having a discussion here before deciding on a course of action. Who do you think should be having these conversations? Do you not think they’ve already happened at government level (assuming this is what lead the rapid change from the BS ‘herd immunity’ strategy.

It’s hard to see how the government could decide to take any course besides those taken by other countries when it’s not going to take much variation in spread of the virus and fatality rate (not just from virus but over run ICU etc.) to put us into millions of deaths.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#201 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 01:47:25 pm
More back onto this narrow Covid topic, Brimham closed

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brimham-rocks

kac

• addict
#202 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 01:54:29 pm
Have we not decided on a course of action as a society and whether we personally agree with the approach should be immaterial in how closely we follow the rules. Otherwise as a society we still get all of the negatives of the social isolation policy but also thousands of unnecessary deaths. Just because some people think that as they know best the rules shouldn't apply to them.

abarro81

• forum hero
#203 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 01:56:51 pm
Have we not decided on a course of action as a society and whether we personally agree with the approach should be immaterial in how closely we follow the rules. Otherwise as a society we still get all of the negatives of the social isolation policy but also thousands of unnecessary deaths. Just because some people think that as they know best the rules shouldn't apply to them.

This doesn't seem really to tie into the debate given that the rules currently allow for all sorts of outdoor climbing, just not close to other people.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#204 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 02:25:24 pm
Hi Teestub

Yes, I think it should be the government and I think they should publish their thinking and reasoning. Personally from what I have read and heard I can’t see that they have done what I would like but I am happy to be corrected.

Dave

J pratt

#205 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 02:45:21 pm
I saw on ukc logbooks kaluza Klein got a lead yesterday.ffs

andy popp

• forum hero
#206 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 02:49:43 pm
I'm sorry if I was intemperate, I would never wish to drive anyway from here. But Davo, though you may not have said "so be it" your post is extremely difficult to read in any other way. I understand there are consequences to every choice we make. My son works in hospitality and could very well lose his job, something that would be catastrophic for him. But, and I think this is what Teestub was saying, I find the idea that there is still somehow a debate to be had about this baffling. Yes, there are hard to calculate consequences from every possible course of action. But let's not pretend there's not a growing body of evidence about what does and doesn't work.

kac

• addict
#207 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 03:16:49 pm
Alex - I thought tomtoms post earlier summed up why climbing should be avoided. Basically it is non essential travel and social contact. What do you think the government have asked us to do?

petejh

• forum hero
#208 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 03:45:33 pm
Can I just say, the starting point for any decision-making in this situation (and this debate) must be the evidence. Most of the evidence about the health implications of different approaches to COVID is summarised in the Imperial College paper, which anyone debating on here should read. As many times as it takes to absorb and then reflect.

More evidence will emerge in time on the social and economic impacts of our approaches.

Seems to me that the two factors that will most change the cost-benefit outlook are:
1. Time
2. Vaccine/anti-viral

If we were a world of automatons facing a new computer virus that spread via automatons meeting each other, then it'd be a no-brainer (literally!) for our automaton society to attempt to suppress COVID using every measure open to it. I.e. the total shutdown of all movement except the vital necessities to keeping society in existence.   

We aren't automatons. Obviously emotions, sentiment and power structures cloud the picture and the cost-benefit involves human life. So the ideal choice is more fuzzy. I still think the only rational choice in the short-term is as complete a shutdown of movement as possible while keeping the vital functions of society going.

Over time, given no progress in vaccine trials or anti-viral, then that picture would likely change. But if a vaccine was found in 6 months from now, how would people feel about arguing right now at this point near the beginning that it wasn't worth the cost-benefit of totally shutting down in the short-term? It must be worth at least the short-term pain of trying to make it work, if not more.

Conclusion from the ICL paper on which the UK's (world's..) current approach is based:
Perhaps our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over. In the most effective mitigation strategy examined, which leads to a single, relatively short epidemic (case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of the elderly), the surge limits for both general ward and ICU beds would be exceeded by at least 8-fold under the more optimistic scenario for critical care requirements that we examined. In addition, even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US.
In the UK, this conclusion has only been reached in the last few days, with the refinement of estimates of likely ICU demand due to COVID-19 based on experience in Italy and the UK (previous planning estimates assumed half the demand now estimated) and with the NHS providing increasing certainty around the limits of hospital surge capacity.
We therefore conclude that epidemic suppression is the only viable strategy at the current time. The social and economic effects of the measures which are needed to achieve this policy goal will be profound. Many countries have adopted such measures already, but even those countries at an earlier stage of their epidemic (such as the UK) will need to do so imminently.
Our analysis informs the evaluation of both the nature of the measures required to suppress COVID19 and the likely duration that these measures will need to be in place. Results in this paper have informed policymaking in the UK and other countries in the last weeks. However, we emphasise that is not at all certain that suppression will succeed long term; no public health intervention with such disruptive effects on society has been previously attempted for such a long duration of time. How populations and societies will respond remains unclear.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:05:11 pm by petejh »

abarro81

• forum hero
#209 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 03:49:17 pm
Alex - I thought tomtoms post earlier summed up why climbing should be avoided. Basically it is non essential travel and social contact. What do you think the government have asked us to do?

Your post was talking about rules. I'm not saying there aren't good reasons for giving up climbing at the moment, just that it doesn't really break any of the rules. That's the exact problem - I think it's easier to have more rules and less leaving it open to interpretation. Perhaps I've missed it but to me it seems that the talk has all been about social distancing and avoiding unnecessary social interactions. Until the Welsh gov tweet earlier today using the term non-essential travel, I think I'd only seen the gov use it in FCO advice about foreign travel, not movement domestically.

As an aside, but on the same general point, I think when the gov goes to the next step it should go hard and immediate. When the pubs were about to shut people went out for one last time. When you think lockdown is coming it's very tempting to nip out for a secluded climb. When you think lockdown 2.0 is coming (no-exercise outside the home stage), it will be very tempting to be going out for a run or bike ride because you're still allowed to etc.

kac

• addict
#210 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 04:37:09 pm
Perhaps I should have said advice rather than rules and I totally agree the government haven't been clear at all. I'm sure soon we will have a France/Italy style ban and know where we stand. It was a similar lack of leadership with the pubs but when it was advice rather than a ban i'm sure most us thought the people still going out drinking were idiots - even if it was in a quiet pub!

abarro81

• forum hero
#211 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 04:46:41 pm
Yeah, I think maybe it's just easy to kid ourselves because it's obvious that people going to pubs and cafes are being idiots, but less visible as far as touching climbing holds a day later goes.

Anyway, over the course of today you can count my vote as having moved from option 3 to option 4 in the poll. Guess April is fingerboard month.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#212 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 04:47:29 pm
[Perhaps I've missed it but to me it seems that the talk has all been about social distancing and avoiding unnecessary social interactions.

Updated today
“The government has also urged the public to take further steps to protect themselves and the wider population from the coronavirus, including: 

- Everyone to stay at home unless they need to get essential supplies such as food and medicines.
- All those able to  work from home  to do so, unless their work is essential. 
- Only traveling if absolutely necessary - while public transport won’t stop, this should only be used for essential travel  - for example by key workers to travel to and from work. “

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-further-measures-on-social-distancing

These still aren’t ‘rules’ but I bet they will be by the end of this week.

mikester

• regular
#213 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 04:55:50 pm
And there we have it!

Now just waiting for the CV Bill to become law...

abarro81

• forum hero
#214 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 05:00:06 pm
Looks like it was from yesterday? In which case they've not done a very good job of pushing it hard IMO

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#215 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 05:38:03 pm
That advice settles the question then. I think Barrows is correct that the previous advice was against non-essential international or intercity travel (might have got that wrong). This left room to go off to the country, which is now off the cards if we are to be compliant.

abarro81

• forum hero
#216 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 05:41:45 pm
I have the guardian love updates rolling in the background.. despite the last few posts, based on the updates of the ongoing press conference, it basically sounds like the gov is fine with us going climbing and the like  :shrug: if we're genuinely supposed to be avoiding non essential travel this is not being communicated adequately...

Bradders

• forum hero
#217 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 05:55:01 pm
Looks like it was from yesterday? In which case they've not done a very good job of pushing it hard IMO

Watching the press briefing at the moment and couldn't agree more. Extremely confusing position being taken by both Boris and the Deputy CMO; on the one hand saying that people should still go outside and take exercise whilst practising social distancing, then on the other saying stay indoors.

Boris even said something along the lines of he was "following the science and the science is saying that the benefits of outdoor exercise outweigh the negative impacts of increased transmission".

The Deputy CMO has at least been a little clearer in saying that it's those gathering outside who are creating a risk.

But either way, they're still effectively saying that option 3 in the poll is okay (not necessarily my position, but that's what they're saying).

petejh

• forum hero
#218 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 06:03:13 pm
Just watched the brief and yeah, you could arguably interpret the advice as option 3 on the UKB poll if you wanted to justify going climbing.

You could also arguably interpret the advice as don't go outside except: to buy food/medicine, work if unable to WFH, and limited exercise close to home by yourself or with other householder.

It all depends what you're trying to justify doesn't it. Climbing? Or behaving in ways that *minimise* potential for transmission - thus behaving in ways that potentially save the most lives down the transmission chain.

Who do you want to be?

Murph

• forum abuser
#219 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 06:15:25 pm
It needs to be a lot clearer than ambiguous if it's to be taken up. Millions of people went to see their mums today and millions more in the week will be having birthday parties kiddie meet ups and rambling get togethers.

It could be really straight forward. Stay indoors unless your life depends on it. Essential services only. Do that and this thing would be over in a month. Dont do that and it's going to last a long time.

Anyone see how busy it was today? Was the peak full again parking logjammed at curbar gap? I'm betting it was pretty bad. Pubs had a mini new years eve on friday. It really needs to be spelt out really clearly for a good fraction of folk.

Maybe I'm overdoing it. Probably am. Hope I am. But that medium article about the big picture and the other one about transmission sort of left me cold.

abarro81

• forum hero
#220 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 06:17:45 pm
Just listened to the press conference out of interest, to see how the rolling news updates reflected it. If I were just taking my advice from gov press conferences I would be going outside climbing tomorrow...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#221 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 06:30:35 pm

You could also arguably interpret the advice as don't go outside except: to buy food/medicine, work if unable to WFH, and limited exercise close to home by yourself or with other householder.

This is my take on the current advice.

abarro81

• forum hero
#222 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 06:35:49 pm
But isn't this the problem, surely we shouldn't need to have a take on it because it's explicit and well communicated??

tomtom

• forum hero
#223 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 06:40:08 pm

This is my take on the current advice.

Yup.

petejh

• forum hero
#224 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 22, 2020, 07:20:40 pm
But isn't this the problem, surely we shouldn't need to have a take on it because it's explicit and well communicated??

In a perfect world yes. But I'd say the *most important* problem is there's a microbe spreading rapidly among us which kills people.

Which is the more pressing problem *right now*: clarity of message or trying to reduce spread of microbes killing people?

edit, yes I'm aware this isn't the only dangerous microbe which is spread by social contact.The important considerations  are the relative lethality versus the relative triviality of not doing some everyday things for now. Obvs.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:26:58 pm by petejh »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal