UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 291893 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
#75 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:44:57 am
I snapped already and went for cheeky morning session to hobson moor. One guy turned up and we chatted a bit (at a distance) and then he asked if he could jump on the same problem I was trying. I said "normally I would say no problem, but at the moment i think it is better to try to maintain social distancing". It was awkward. He looked a bit perplexed I felt like a total dick! Told him "Sorry, I feel like a dick!" He was good about it. Asked him if was worried about corona and he said not really. He doesn't know or interact with anyone vulnerable. Whole thing was weird. I normally really like the social aspect of bouldering and meeting people at the crag. Weird times.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#76 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:50:36 am
Going to Malham at all at the moment I don't really get. Fondling the holds on Consenting after someone else has done with them is so clearly a bad idea. Makes me sad as I miss it and want to go back a lot!

Think you did the right thing for what its worth Jamie.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#77 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:54:26 am
Right thing. If nothing else you may have changed his perspective, and he will hopefully do the same thing.

Even if he doesn't interact with someone known to be vulnerable, you might.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#78 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:55:51 am
Going to Malham at all at the moment I don't really get. Fondling the holds on Consenting after someone else has done with them is so clearly a bad idea. Makes me sad as I miss it and want to go back a lot!

Think you did the right thing for what its worth Jamie.

Genuine question, is this really any worse than fondling the tin of beans at the supermarket (or even home delivery)? Obviously we should wash our hands afterwards and not touch our face but it seems the risk of transmission would be incredibly low in this scenario?

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#79 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:56:18 am
Any North Wales types needing escape, I can recommend researching moel meirch. You won't see anyone pretty much from the road onwards, and there's at least one unclimbed 3* bloc tucked away out there. Wellies recommended

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#80 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:57:20 am

Genuine question, is this really any worse than fondling the tin of beans at the supermarket (or even home delivery)? Obviously we should wash our hands afterwards and not touch our face but it seems the risk of transmission would be incredibly low in this scenario?

No idea on the science. Just feels like the sport climbing equivalent of a session on Demon Wall Roof. No way does the catwalk count as social distancing.

abarro81

• forum hero
#81 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 12:09:46 pm
My guess is that it's less likely to be a risk than going shopping, but that going shopping is - to some extent - required for living, whereas Malham isn't. This being why even French/Spanish style lockdown would require a long time to totally remove the virus - transmission still continues, just hopefully at below 1 transmission per infected person and you get a slow decay to zero...

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#82 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 12:21:24 pm

Bell Hagg is a good little venue, why not go clean it up so its even better.

Accept that like during Foot and Mouth it may rise in popularity though.

I climbed there and much more often at Wharncliffe during Foot and Mouth. Lots of climbers were sulking online but the venues were never that busy despite the quality. Also had a look at Stannington Ruffs and promised myself never to return except in a super cold snap in winter for the small ice fall.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#83 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 12:32:13 pm
I'm going to somewhere in Lancs with the wife tomorrow afternoon. All being well, I will report back afterwards to say how it felt morally...

abarro81

• forum hero
#84 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 12:35:51 pm
Lots of climbers were sulking online but the venues were never that busy despitebecause of the quality.

Fixed ;)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#85 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 12:54:33 pm
Lots of climbers were sulking online but the venues were never that busy despitebecause of the quality.

Fixed ;)

It's funny for the eilte but for bumblies like me Wharncliffe is different....it is in my top ten grit crags. Reliable year round and with good exploration potential for low grade boudering and lower grade micro-routes. One of the fun aspects is tracking down all those Puttrell routes: there were supposedly over 100 routes in 1900, more at those grades than in the "89 guide

petejh

• forum hero
#86 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 12:56:23 pm
Paradoxically, 2020 could well be a breakthrough year for UK/world bouldering standards!
Video evidence required though...

abarro81

• forum hero
#87 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 01:15:16 pm
It's funny for the eilte but for bumblies like me Wharncliffe is different....

For context I guess I should point out that I think most grit crags are a bit meh, even the best ones

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#88 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 01:44:44 pm
 I've already made my fairly relaxed attitude to climbing at the moment plain, but lift sharing up to Malham isn't right.
I'm at work in the peak today. Lots of big groups of ramblers wandering around and into cafes etc. It really annoys and upsets me, I want to shout at them that they're just helping to overload hospitals, accelerate virus spreading, and putting NHS staff at personal risk.

mikester

• regular
#89 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 01:53:51 pm
Going to Malham at all at the moment I don't really get.

Agree. Very public and, from Sheffield, a 2 hour drive each way! Although I'm not sure what distance/duration is considered acceptable.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#90 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 01:57:42 pm
Other corona viruses can survive on surfaces for up to 9 days but some think significantly longer in cold conditions.  Not sure about chalky holds at caley. You would think a long time at the glassy malham.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

abarro81

• forum hero
#91 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 02:00:26 pm
Going to Malham at all at the moment I don't really get.

Agree. Very public and, from Sheffield, a 2 hour drive each way! Although I'm not sure what distance/duration is considered acceptable.

It was the lift sharing that surprised me the most tbh

Tim - I thought it didn't get on well with UV?

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#92 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 02:07:56 pm
Yeah this was just one random paper I saw.   This seemed to be looking at different chemical disinfectants.   God knows about UV.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:18:10 pm by tim palmer »

abarro81

• forum hero
#93 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 02:21:57 pm
A quick google and pick of the most reliable looking sources suggests that unless you nuke it with high doses of UV (i.e. not just a sunny day) then UV maybe isn't the panacea I was assuming it might be...

JamieG

• forum hero
#94 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 02:35:26 pm
Seeing as the amount of time we are going to be getting outside (or inside for that matter) is likely going to be somewhat curtailed. Is this a good time for a mass effort on improving the info on peakbouldering.info? Or does it only see limited use?

tomtom

• forum hero
#95 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 04:14:57 pm
Just been to millers dale with the lad and MrsTT so he could zoom on his balance bike. Not busy - 10 cars in car park?? People polite but keeping a distance. Small groups on picnic tables.

In contrast Lyme park was full on the way there and back when we went past...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#96 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 04:21:48 pm

In contrast Lyme park was full on the way there and back when we went past...

National Trust are going to seriously regret making everything free. Intentions were good though.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#97 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 04:44:58 pm
We went for a stroll along Derwent edge today. We’ve decided we’d feel better not climbing for the foreseeable future.

I really struggled to contain my anger at what I saw. Groups of 5 or 6 lads walking together in close proximity. 4 Old folk sat together having a sandwich. As we arrived at the car park a tiny car disgorged four teenagers.

I appreciate the thought people have put into things on this thread. It’s a bit depressing to hear of people car sharing to malham, or climbing on remergence with “only” a couple of other people.

Suppose one person at that remergence session was an asymptomatic carrier. At current growth and death rates that little remergence session could directly kill 5 people on a timescale of a month. That’s not ok.

There’s lots of good thoughtful advice on this thread but if you are climbing on the same bloc with someone you do not live with, that’s a dick move.

Sorry if that’s harsh. Still wound up by my walk.

abarro81

• forum hero
#98 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 05:04:12 pm
Stu, did your walk in any way make you reconsider your decision not to climb? I find it really hard to think of binning off climbing when everyone else is still doing way dumber stuff (going to the pub, meeting up for picnics, going out for meals etc.)
EDIT: much of the above just banned
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:11:40 pm by abarro81 »

Bradders

• forum hero
#99 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 05:42:04 pm
There’s lots of good thoughtful advice on this thread but if you are climbing on the same bloc with someone you do not live with, that’s a dick move.

Sorry if that’s harsh. Still wound up by my walk.

Agree. I don't think that's any different to what many have been saying. It's not harsh, it's the (utterly mind-boggling) reality.

Stu, did your walk in any way make you reconsider your decision not to climb? I find it really hard to think of binning off climbing when everyone else is still doing way dumber stuff (going to the pub, meeting up for picnics, going out for meals etc.)
EDIT: much of the above just banned

Even with all those things banned, I still think climbing exclusively on your own is okay. In fact watching the briefing at the moment the Deputy CMO has specifically called out exercise on your own outside as something she would encourage.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal