UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 689480 times)

Tony

• menacing presence
  • “Comedic genius”
#3600 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 13, 2021, 06:07:51 pm
I read that if you had no bmi entered in your records for some reason it would default to 31 (badly obese) and so get you a jab. Similar of your ethnicity wasn’t recorded it would assume the most vulnerable. Algorithm designed to be careful if in doubt. With close to 45% of the adult population now jabbed its less of an issue I expect.

MrsTt had her second jab this week. Both my parents last.

I just clicked something here.

If this is correct, it probably means there are way less morbidly obese people in the UK, than the NHS thought...

Or is it just the vaccine algorithm defaulting to 31?

No. This is entirely bollox.

It is far more likely that GPs (or practice staff) inadvertently entered incorrect records. In a population of 50M this will occur.

Obesity figure are (usually) based on surveys rather than routine data.

Loos3-tools

#3601 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 13, 2021, 10:09:55 pm
There appears to be parity in the Mets policing of lockdown / coronavirus violations. But you’ve got to wonder if they should have let this one go. Just to be clear I believe the vigil should be allowed to go ahead peacefully without this insanity

https://mobile.twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1370835536185810949

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3602 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 08:16:44 am
Liberty's doing solid work campaigning against the government using coronavirus as an excuse for blanket suppression of protests:

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/fundamental/coronavirus/

(Also against the stripping of rights to social care and other issues.)

Have a round-up from my favourite liberal elitist intellectual rag re: how police have been using the regulations to clamp down on responsibly-organized, socially-distanced protests:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/13/police-in-england-using-covid-lockdown-rules-to-halt-any-protests

This has fuck-all to do with keeping anyone safe from Covid; it's just authoritarian policing that thinks it has license from an authoritarian home secretary.

In this case, they seem to have made the tactical mistake of manhandling nice respectable-looking middle-class white women, which plays differently in PR terms from manhandling other groups.

N.B. I say this as a middle-class white woman, so this is not a diss of middle-class white women, just a cynical consideration of what's seen to "look bad". We literally get advised to go on protests because we can sometimes act as a human shield and block over-aggressive police responses to other groups.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:44:10 am by slab_happy »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3603 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 09:25:04 am
Liberty's doing solid work campaigning against the government using coronavirus as an excuse for blanket suppression of protests:

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/fundamental/coronavirus/

(Also against the stripping of rights to social care and other issues.)

Have a round-up from my favourite liberal elitist intellectual rag re: how police have been using the regulations to clamp down on responsibly-organized, socially-distanced protests:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/13/police-in-england-using-covid-lockdown-rules-to-halt-any-protests

This has fuck-all to do with keeping anyone safe from Covid; it's just authoritarian policing that thinks it has license from an authoritarian home secretary.

In this case, they seem to have made the tactical mistake of manhandling nice respectable-looking middle-class white women, which plays differently in PR terms from manhandling other groups.

N.B. I say this as a middle-class white woman, so this is not a diss of middle-class white women, just a cynical consideration of what's seen to "look bad". We literally get advised to go on protests because we can sometimes act as a human shield and block over-aggressive police responses to other groups.

Beat me too it.

And on the night before Mothers day, meaning some Mothers are still in cells this morning.

Very difficult to see this playing out well for the Police or the government.

I think the editorial tone at Sky is probably where this is going:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3604 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 09:31:08 am

Exactly, unlike

Quote from: Priti_Patel
those dreadful Black Lives Matter protests

Loos3-tools

#3605 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 09:33:50 am
Many people (not me) are arguing that the police acted correctly and in accordance with the laws associated with stopping the spread of coronavirus. Some are speculating (not me) it’s a manufactured spectacle for what reason I don’t know, maybe to trigger an acceleration of easing of restrictions. Other believe it to be a mistake and over reaching of power while others believe it is a forceful show of what happens if citizens decide to go against the state. I’ve genuinely no idea. I wonder how the same reaction to an anti lockdown protest would have been received by the public. Lockdown has of course led to the loss of many lives young and old. Maybe this is a moral equivalence argument, I’m not entirely sure.

I thought the reaction to the cardiologist was an interesting one. Of course I have no idea whether what he was saying was factual or not. He appeared to be incredibly passionate about what he was saying and seemed to almost break down at one point. I wasn’t sure of his motives for speaking out? He didn’t seems to have a wider agenda than his own ‘truth’

The reaction sought to discredit him in various ways, critiquing the science (fair) then through smear and association with non pc beliefs and values (interesting). His key message did ‘appear’ to be a caring pro social and humanitarian one.

With regards the Guardian, I’ve always turned to it for my news. Have always had left leaning ideas and values. I went to see Tony Benn speak in Sheffield a fair few years ago. What a fantastic man. These days for various reasons I find it unbearable, but do understand some of what is published in it will be valuable and educational.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3606 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 09:41:52 am

Exactly, unlike

My thought exactly.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#3607 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 09:51:13 am

Exactly, unlike

My thought exactly.

Patel is a canny operator though. Her position and comments so far give her room to follow the public tone, she’s been demanding reports and investigation, for instance.

Loos3-tools

#3608 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 10:35:57 am
Some interesting perspectives from this man. His credentials seem sound. I will be interested to see what’s dug up on him and how long it will be before he is a broken man. This is one of his longer interviews and the link below is his open letter

https://mcusercontent.com/92561d6dedb66a43fe9a6548f/files/bead7203-0798-4ac8-abe2-076208015556/Public_health_emergency_of_international_concert_Geert_Vanden_Bossche.01.pdf

battery

• obsessive maniac
#3609 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 10:36:22 am
The vigil last night was not just about Sarah Everard. In the same way as the murder of George Floyd brought issues of racism into the fore, the murder of Sarah Everard has brought the issue of violence against women into the limelight. I have no doubt that this is because she was a middle class white women, walking through a middle class area wearing clothes that the Daily Fail could not deem provocative, she makes a palatable 'front woman' for the media. 

Reclaim These Streets tried to work with the Met Police to develop a plan for the vigil which would be within the law and it ended up in court, the judge said the plans presented couldn't go ahead but that the two sides should keep talking, the Met Police did not engage (this information is taken from RTS's twitter feed and whilst I have no reason to think they are lying I admit that this is one side of the story).

As I understand it, the right to public protest is enshrined in the Human Rights Act and is not addressed in the Covid restrictions. I have memories of demonstrations last year being tolerated, including the musicians who gathered and played outside Westminster to highlight the plight of the arts industry.

Comparisons of the treatment of the Rangers supporters and the women attending the vigil last night are understandable. Women are not expected to act in this way so when they do they often get treated with a more severe reaction (there is data out there that suggests women get treated more harshly by the courts).

This discussion is a tough one, it is a hard thing to face and a hard thing to tackle but it is too important to ignore. It is not enough to be passive, by not raising our voices we reinforce the status quo, we have to be an ally for women in whatever way we can. Challenge everyday sexism, think about not what your intentions are but how you might be perceived, change the narrative from how women can keep themselves safe to how men can stop being violent.

Edit: apologies if this seems slightly off topic - the on topic bit is that there is growing concern that covid legislation is being used to restrict people's right to peaceful protest. There is a growing reaction to this that could well blow up in the coming days and weeks.

Loos3-tools

#3610 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 10:50:19 am
I also believe that mandating by law lockdowns, face coverings and any other health procedure is a human rights abuse.

Yeah! And seatbelts! And traffic laws! And Child protection laws that stop me punishing my children the way I see fit! Oh, and laws regulating the practice of medicine! Nobody should be forced to only have approved and tested medications and procedures.
Come on! It’s not as if any of this stuff actually worked! It’s coincidental that seatbelt introduction coincided with a reduction of road deaths! It’s coincidental that every mandated lockdown and mask wearing occurred just before a rapid drop in infections!
Dan’s comfort is all that matters!
Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that Dan is here to explain why society would function so much better without laws and mandates and regulations and order. Of course, everybody would be sensible and do the right thing, if only the “GoveRnmUnT” would leave them alone!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#3611 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 10:51:35 am
Some interesting perspectives from this man. His credentials seem sound. I will be interested to see what’s dug up on him and how long it will be before he is a broken man. This is one of his longer interviews and the link below is his open letter

https://mcusercontent.com/92561d6dedb66a43fe9a6548f/files/bead7203-0798-4ac8-abe2-076208015556/Public_health_emergency_of_international_concert_Geert_Vanden_Bossche.01.pdf

Mothers day.

Busy, now she’s awake. Watched/read your links.
Place holder answer:

https://thelogicofscience.com/2019/03/05/how-not-to-science-lessons-from-flat-earthers-and-climate-change-deniers/?fbclid=IwAR1gJn0JP23hgdy9sw5kzNNzEbHJa58BfaMhWJCHy9sJRvSidlOxUnm2EIk

Loos3-tools

#3612 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 05:57:20 pm
Maybe a better watch as to why this chap believes the covid vaccination program will cause problems.

From his link on Twitter

Geert Vanden Bossche
@GVDBossche
·
Mar 10
My statements are based on nothing else but science. They shall only be contradicted by science. In order to enable a transparant scientific debate I've put online my keynote speech at the Vaccin Summit Ohio.

ali k

• junky
#3613 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 06:26:50 pm
Re: Clapham Common vigil police response. Part of me wonders if it could be a sympathetic gold commander in the Met police who’s sceptical about this new bill and thought going in hard would be a good way to draw attention to it. If so, chapeau.

Loos3-tools

#3614 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 06:44:33 pm
Sounding a tad conspiratorial there. Decisions being made to stage heavy handed policing in an attempt to alter the course of lockdown by driving public opinion.

Beware the headmaster might put you in the dunces corner.

ali k

• junky
#3615 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 06:59:23 pm
Nothing to do with lockdown. And I really can’t see it btw. More likely just poorly judged response.

Loos3-tools

#3616 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 07:03:56 pm
I agree 👍🏻 Thought corrected

Loos3-tools

#3617 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 08:57:51 pm
The graun article - I’m confused.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/14/ireland-suspends-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-over-blood-clot-concerns?__twitter_impression=true

Saying that it won’t really matter if Geert is correct in his predictions. Vaccine apocalypse.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3618 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 10:07:05 pm

Have some of these scientists you’re into been hounded out of their jobs because of their position on Covid? I note that this dude is currently between jobs. The only person I’ve heard of being fired was the lady in Florida who wouldn’t lie to downplay the Covid stats like her governor wanted her to.

Loos3-tools

#3619 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 10:21:30 pm
I don’t know, it seems some people are vilified for holding contrary opinions. Regardless his seminar / talk is interesting and potentially disastrous. Between jobs would account for a good deal of people at the moment. I’m guessing that’s about all you’ve dug up and the link to Florida was nice too. I love the way you’ve used ‘you’re into’ Good work as always, have you considered a post with SAGE?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3620 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 10:40:39 pm
😂 “you’re into” related to this forum, I’m sure you’re not alone worldwide.

Lots of people between jobs currently, but maybe not do much for  vaccine experts?

I’ve seen plenty of heavy criticism of ideas, not so much men broken by vilification.

Loos3-tools

#3621 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 11:02:49 pm
I’d be more interested to hear what you thought of the seminar.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3622 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 11:03:50 pm
Did you read the full text he linked on Twitter? (I didn’t watch the video).

Loos3-tools

#3623 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 11:09:31 pm
The last 5-10 mins of the seminar vid link is interesting.

Loos3-tools

#3624 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
Did you read the full text he linked on Twitter? (I didn’t watch the video).

I’ve read the text 👍🏻

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal