UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 689455 times)

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3075 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 01:43:22 pm
Official line on the gov.uk website is now that "all adults will be offered a vaccine by the autumn", which does indicate they are planning to provide vaccines for everyone (which was previously unclear):

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-publishes-plan-for-the-largest-vaccination-programme-in-british-history

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3076 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 02:22:18 pm
My Mum (80+) got a Pfizer this week. Done at a polyclinic in N Somerset that sounds like it’s now dedicated to just providing vaccines. She described it as very quick and efficient.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3077 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 03:00:05 pm
My Dad (also 80+) got his first shot yesterday.

Apparently he's in bed today feeling flu-ey and rubbish, but that's extremely common (and should only last a day or two) -- I briefed my folks in advance that this was possible so not to be freaked out by it.

Think he might be using it as an excuse to hog the TV for West Wing-watching purposes, though.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#3078 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 03:02:26 pm
Well that's encouraging. I've seen a lot of comment suggesting they'll only vaccinate the old and its herd immunity for the rest.

I think several factors may have influenced this including a large minority who won't have the vaccine (worrying survey here. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/16/covid-vaccine-black-people-unlikely-covid-jab-uk ) and hospitalisation rates have near doubled for young adults for the new variant.

Both my parents double dosed with Pfizer now and mother-in-law first dose today (delayed by heavy snow in W Yorkshire)

tomtom

• forum hero
#3079 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 03:15:53 pm
My folks were due to get their second dose on Weds - but was cancelled on Monday. Standard I think now.

MrsTT also had her second Pfizer cancelled too.

Mother in law was convinced she was supposed to phone up a number at Guys (london) to get her jab (she's 70) and when she got through unsurprisingly they said it was only over 80's....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3080 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 03:48:50 pm
My Dad (also 80+) got his first shot yesterday.

Apparently he's in bed today feeling flu-ey and rubbish, but that's extremely common (and should only last a day or two) -- I briefed my folks in advance that this was possible so not to be freaked out by it.

Think he might be using it as an excuse to hog the TV for West Wing-watching purposes, though.

Why would anybody watch “West Wing” now (on premium for sure) when you can just put on CNN? Possibly the CNN plot is more ludicrous and unbelievable, but...

tomtom

• forum hero
#3081 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 04:22:29 pm
MrsTT has recently watched ALL of ER (for at least the second time) and is 70% through the Buffys.... it’s her comfort blanket at the end of every day...

My parents are quite into the Crown “I remember that happening don’t you know” 🥱

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3082 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 04:27:09 pm
MrsTT has recently watched ALL of ER (for at least the second time) and is 70% through the Buffys.... it’s her comfort blanket at the end of every day...

My parents are quite into the Crown “I remember that happening don’t you know” 🥱
Mrs OMM and I were working through “The Ship”, this time last year.
By the end of Feb, she decided it was starting to look too much like a documentary and still haven’t finished...

IanP

• forum abuser
#3083 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 05:15:42 pm

Why would anybody watch “West Wing” now (on premium for sure) when you can just put on CNN? Possibly the CNN plot is more ludicrous and unbelievable, but...

As an escapist view of some not really believable liberal utopia  ;) ? (and its free on All4 atm)

Simon W

• menacing presence
#3084 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 05:51:32 pm
Guys were offering it to over 70s. My mum called up today and is booked in for next week. 77 though so maybe they’ve changed it to over 75s now.

Certainly feels liked it’s picked up. I’m booked in next week (NHS) and this week lots of people around me have either had it or booked it.

My folks were due to get their second dose on Weds - but was cancelled on Monday. Standard I think now.

MrsTT also had her second Pfizer cancelled too.

Mother in law was convinced she was supposed to phone up a number at Guys (london) to get her jab (she's 70) and when she got through unsurprisingly they said it was only over 80's....

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3085 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 06:07:47 pm
As an escapist view of some not really believable liberal utopia  ;) ?

THAT.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3086 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 16, 2021, 07:47:07 pm
My other half’s Dad (84, no pre-existing conditions) had his first one just before Christmas. Date for the second is in March. My Mum and Dad (73 & 83 respectively, both have pre-existing conditions, my Dad’s also my Mum’s full time career) haven’t heard anything yet. Different areas though.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#3087 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 17, 2021, 10:10:20 am

THAT.

Or maybe because it's some of the best written TV ever, with high production values. There must be a massive gap at present in taking the themes of the show crossed with those other American greats, The Wire  and The Sopranos  on an anti utopian theme (not that I see Westwing as anything like utopian.. more like US politics when things were more 'normal')

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3088 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 17, 2021, 10:49:31 am
Or maybe because it's some of the best written TV ever, with high production values.

I think it can be both! But for him, I think part of the appeal is a picture of politics where liberal decency triumphs and the good guys get the good lines (and he's spent some of his life in the political trenches over here, so he's allowed to dream ...).

IanP

• forum abuser
#3089 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 17, 2021, 01:12:17 pm

THAT.

Or maybe because it's some of the best written TV ever, with high production values. There must be a massive gap at present in taking the themes of the show crossed with those other American greats, The Wire  and The Sopranos  on an anti utopian theme (not that I see Westwing as anything like utopian.. more like US politics when things were more 'normal')

Indeed, a wonderful show, though obviously it is biased to liberal view of US politics (which is great by me but it is good to be aware of your own biases   :) ).  Hopefully the emoji made it clear that my liberal utopia comment was based on comparisons to the US political shitshow of the last few years.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3091 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 09:42:58 am
All 4 grandparents and girlfriend jabbed this weekend, which was a bit of good news.

In slightly deflating news, albeit probably makes sense from an scientific perspective, was listening to Zahawi on the radio just now suggesting that "gradual tiered easing of lockdown will start 2/3 weeks after top 9 priority cohorts vaccinated.' The planned timetable for that is end of March if all goes smoothly, which would suggest mid April before anything gets loosened up. Quite a big change from gradual easing after top 4 cohorts vaccinated (65% of deaths) to top 9 (99% of deaths and majority of pressure on NHS). Will be interesting to see whether that holds as suspect it will come under quite a lot of pressure from Tory right and public tbh.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3092 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 09:56:49 am
In slightly deflating news, albeit probably makes sense from an scientific perspective, was listening to Zahawi on the radio just now suggesting that "gradual tiered easing of lockdown will start 2/3 weeks after top 9 priority cohorts vaccinated.' The planned timetable for that is end of March if all goes smoothly, which would suggest mid April before anything gets loosened up. Quite a big change from gradual easing after top 4 cohorts vaccinated (65% of deaths) to top 9 (99% of deaths and majority of pressure on NHS). Will be interesting to see whether that holds as suspect it will come under quite a lot of pressure from Tory right and public tbh.

I think Zahawi has been naughty this morning - starts talking in one interview about teachers, police, shopworkers etc.. being vaccinated before the age groups this morning "its my instinct" they should be I think were his words... before a mini backtrack that its actually set by an independent group (IIRC). Got a bit of Boris "wanting to please the person who's interviewing him"-itis....

Interesting opinion polls in the Sunday papers showing an overwhelming support for continuing and stronger measures amongst the public... that will not have gone un-noticed too.

Universal credit cut U-turn imminent too I bet... 

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3093 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 10:13:29 am

I think Zahawi has been naughty this morning - starts talking in one interview about teachers, police, shopworkers etc.. being vaccinated before the age groups this morning "its my instinct" they should be I think were his words... before a mini backtrack that its actually set by an independent group (IIRC). Got a bit of Boris "wanting to please the person who's interviewing him"-itis....

Interesting opinion polls in the Sunday papers showing an overwhelming support for continuing and stronger measures amongst the public... that will not have gone un-noticed too.

Universal credit cut U-turn imminent too I bet...

The British public would doubtless support full blown Stasi surveillance, snooping, capital punishment, child labour, benefit claimants being put to work on the railroad etc in an opinion poll.  :lol: I do think they are heavily biased towards the old and right wing, especially the non-online ones.

The sunday newspapers seemed v clear that the cabinet was united in wanting to start unlocking in March so will be interesting to see whether that has changed or whether Zahawi has gone off piste/ got confused.

The UC thing is a car crash. Sunak is being made to look like the child catcher (correctly). If even Therese Coffey thinks you're acting like a dick you probably are...

J_duds

• menacing presence
#3094 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 11:01:23 am
At the start of Lockdown 3, we had Boris say it'll last to mid Feb, the next day Gove said end of Feb, and some one else from UK Gov I'm sure said say it be over by Easter (which is early April).  Whilst I realise we need to see how it pans out before opening up, it does make it difficult to plan ahead and also to stay motivated when we don't know the end date!  Anyone like to guess on when we will open up again?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3095 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 11:20:26 am
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/norway-vaccine-fatalities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

Mildly worrying, seems not the panacea it was hoped to be.

Also found out yesterday an old classmate from SA has died due to CV-10 related illness.

Duma

• forum hero
#3096 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 11:34:11 am

not sure what definition of the cohorts you're using here? the cohorts I've seen are these:

and that gives 88% of deaths from the top four cohorts. 65% is from the top 1 and a half cohorts? 

ali k

• junky
#3097 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 11:36:57 am
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/norway-vaccine-fatalities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

I know someone going through treatment for throat cancer at the moment who’s been told he won’t be getting the vaccine any time soon due to the risk of adverse effects from it. I would have thought the risk of catching covid in hospital would outweigh the risk from the vaccine itself but clearly the doctors don’t think so.

Bradders

• forum hero
#3098 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 11:53:36 am

Haven't seen that interview, but that was always my interpretation of how long this lockdown would last; the legislation says 31st March so I took that as the most reliable indicator of when it might end / restrictions might start being lifted. Especially given a) how long the first lockdown was, and b) that things are worse now than they were then.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3099 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
January 18, 2021, 12:02:33 pm

I know someone going through treatment for throat cancer at the moment who’s been told he won’t be getting the vaccine any time soon due to the risk of adverse effects from it. I would have thought the risk of catching covid in hospital would outweigh the risk from the vaccine itself but clearly the doctors don’t think so.

Fine line to walk... I believe if they are getting chemo then your immune system is compromised too making you more susceptible, but could it as easily be the vaccine could compromise the cancer treatment as the other way round?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal