UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 689466 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#2475 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 25, 2020, 10:11:50 pm
Thanks Lagers. I’ll start with the hot shot Lego City (tm) cop - Duke Detain.

OMM. Suspect the genie is out of the bottle etc.. and if they close Universities and send everyone back - it’d be sending the masses back to the four corners of the UK riddled with the virus (etc...). An avoidable situation.

Pardon my odd way of thinking (it’s late for me) but is this any different from letting a meat processing factory carry on running after an outbreak there? (Sausage machine metaphor unintended...)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2476 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 25, 2020, 10:33:07 pm

OMM. Suspect the genie is out of the bottle etc.. and if they close Universities and send everyone back - it’d be sending the masses back to the four corners of the UK riddled with the virus (etc...). An avoidable situation.

Pardon my odd way of thinking (it’s late for me) but is this any different from letting a meat processing factory carry on running after an outbreak there? (Sausage machine metaphor unintended...)

I’m sorry, are we actually contemplating logic or reasoning being applied?

Nah, be serious.

I mean, we have a circus clown as PM.

Which tells you everything you need to know about how sensible the UK public and institutions’ response will be.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 10:39:28 pm by Oldmanmatt »

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2477 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 25, 2020, 11:55:16 pm

I wonder if there’s much benefit in letting it rip through a low risk population whilst they’re all contained together And away from their higher risk parents... It’s one way to start developing some kind of herd immunity...

tomtom

• forum hero
#2478 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 07:53:51 am
More on HE woes around the world. How other countries are or are not handling it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/25/universities-respond-to-covid-surge?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Ged

• junky
#2479 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 07:54:51 am

I’m sorry, are we actually contemplating logic or reasoning being applied?

Nah, be serious.

I mean, we have a circus clown as PM.

I don't know if anyone else watches the great British bake off, but matt lucas doing a Boris piss take at the start of episode 1 was priceless.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2480 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 10:21:07 am
Stay alert. Protect cake. Save loaves.

Priceless. More coherent than the HM Gov one.😀

tomtom

• forum hero
#2481 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 10:50:05 am
Stay alert. Protect cake. Save loaves.

Priceless. More coherent than the HM Gov one.😀

Hands, Face, Cake?

slab_happy

• forum hero
#2482 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 11:08:13 am
This week has been hard for me CV19 Mental health wise - as its now pretty clear that things are (a) going to get alot worse and (b) there's no reprieve until spring.

Professor Aisha Ahmad (who wrote that excellent article on "Why You Should Ignore All That Coronavirus-Inspired Productivity Pressure") did a recent thread on the "6-month wall", based on her experience in disaster zones:

https://twitter.com/ProfAishaAhmad/status/1307697965260328961

Personally I got ahead of the game by having my really bad patch at about the four-month mark, but I know a lot of people who are having a hard time at the moment, and it's helpful to know that this is something of a known phenomenon.

Ged

• junky
#2483 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 12:32:18 pm
Didn't Witty imply there was a good chance of first vaccine doses being done before the new year? Or did I misread that?

SamT

• forum hero
#2484 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 06:09:19 pm
I don't know if anyone else watches the great British bake off, but matt lucas doing a Boris piss take at the start of episode 1 was priceless.

Did you know Marc Elliot of said Bake off was a reasonable climber back in the day.  I worked with him at Outside in the early 90s.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/inspirational-bake-star-marc-carried-22684984

sorry - off topic and sorry for the cheesy mirror article - but it has good pics.

joeisidle

• addict
#2485 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 10:00:50 pm

Did you know Marc Elliot of said Bake off was a reasonable climber back in the day.  I worked with him at Outside in the early 90s.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/inspirational-bake-star-marc-carried-22684984

sorry - off topic and sorry for the cheesy mirror article - but it has good pics.

That's awesome, always loved that pic of him on Nosferatu from the BMC guide, never thought I'd be seeing it in the Mirror!

chris j

• forum abuser
#2486 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 26, 2020, 10:39:02 pm
This popped up in my Google feed today, which was an interesting (US) hypothesis of how things might go over the next few years even if there is a vaccine early next year.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/magazine/2020/09/25/how-covid-19-pandemic-ends-421122

Caveat I don't know who politico are or which side of the fence they stand on generally...

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#2487 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 27, 2020, 04:54:45 am
News  from NL on long term lung damage

"Of the 1,200 Covid-19 patients who so far recovered after admission to intensive care, "almost 100 percent went home with residual damage", he said to AD. And about half of the 6 thousand people who were hospitalized, but did not need intensive care, will have symptoms for years to come. "

https://nltimes.nl/2020/05/28/thousands-dutch-covid-19-patients-likely-permanent-lung-damage-doctor-says

SamT

• forum hero
#2488 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 27, 2020, 09:36:20 am
News  from NL on long term lung damage

"Of the 1,200 Covid-19 patients who so far recovered after admission to intensive care, "almost 100 percent went home with residual damage", he said to AD. And about half of the 6 thousand people who were hospitalized, but did not need intensive care, will have symptoms for years to come. "

https://nltimes.nl/2020/05/28/thousands-dutch-covid-19-patients-likely-permanent-lung-damage-doctor-says

This is the aspect of the whole thing that shits me up.  OK, I accept that almost a dead cert that I'll contract it sometime soon but hopefully I wont end up in intensive care.  But long term lung damage is not particularly high on my bucket list.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2489 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 27, 2020, 09:51:35 pm
Likewise, the idea scares me shitless.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#2490 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 28, 2020, 04:08:50 pm
There's also the fun fun fun prospect of "long Covid", where you get hit with something that looks a lot like chronic fatigue syndrome/ME:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/13/i-was-infected-with-coronavirus-in-march-six-months-on-im-still-unwell

Had a bout with chronic fatigue in my teens (and still get fatigued a lot faster than most people I know), not keen to repeat it.

galpinos

• forum hero
#2491 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 29, 2020, 08:22:20 am

That's awesome, always loved that pic of him on Nosferatu from the BMC guide, never thought I'd be seeing it in the Mirror!

I remember it from an OTE photo comp, I think it won. I always glance up at Nosferatu whenever I wander along Burbage South thinking, "One day......."

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2492 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 30, 2020, 04:25:55 pm
Flights to nowhere. Just what the earth needs...

I know that airlines are struggling but I can't believe some are now offering sight-seeing trips.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/flights-to-nowhere-qantas/index.html

tomtom

• forum hero
#2493 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 30, 2020, 05:07:12 pm
I know nuts isn’t it!

Reminds me of the closing phrase on this Harry Enfield sketch :D

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2494 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 30, 2020, 05:15:21 pm
I know nuts isn’t it!

Reminds me of the closing phrase on this Harry Enfield sketch :D

It's a great sketch!

One article talked about a 12hr round trip to see Antarctica whilst each passenger was responsible for melting 6sqm of the ice they were going to see (or something like that...)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2495 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 30, 2020, 05:20:53 pm
The aisle seats are a bummer.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2496 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
September 30, 2020, 05:24:44 pm
I'd love to be able to be one of the public questioning Boris on his live press conference. It would be so much fun to ask
now that travel isn't restricted, whether we should meet in groups of 7+ or visit someone else's house in order to test our eyesight.

The questions/answers are so dry that it would hopefully inject a laugh at least...

Will - seats ranged from about £70 to £2500. I guess that the aisle seats were at least cheaper  :lol:

gme

• forum hero
#2497 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
October 01, 2020, 11:49:40 am
First personal experience of the testing scheme for me.
My youngest has been off with tonsillitis but temp was through the roof yesterday and won’t be allowed back to school for two weeks without all clear so had to book a test.
Logged on at 9.30pm last night and was given test options from 8am this morning. Booked him and me for 10 am
30 miles down the A1, but that’s my fault for living in the sticks.
10 mins in the drive through all done and back home. The test centre was  pretty much deserted, maybe 4-5 cars max but space for 30-40. 10 drive through bays in operation.
This is a test centre in Newcastle, probably the biggest hotspot in the uk.
And anyone who describes the actual test as more than slightly uncomfortable needs a long hard look at themselves.
Pretty sure we will be negative but he wouldn’t be allowed back at school without the test being done and we have other family reasons for me getting it done.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2498 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
October 01, 2020, 11:53:09 am
One article talked about a 12hr round trip to see Antarctica whilst each passenger was responsible for melting 6sqm of the ice they were going to see (or something like that...)

Sorry OT. This film is great (if not a little grizzly) about body collection from an Antarctic sightseeing trip that crashed into Mt Erebus - and on Amazon Prime if you're on it...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Erebus-Into-Tama-Jarman/dp/B07M5HQTWM

petejh

• forum hero
#2499 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
October 01, 2020, 06:39:43 pm
First personal experience of the testing scheme for me.
My youngest has been off with tonsillitis but temp was through the roof yesterday and won’t be allowed back to school for two weeks without all clear so had to book a test.
Logged on at 9.30pm last night and was given test options from 8am this morning. Booked him and me for 10 am
30 miles down the A1, but that’s my fault for living in the sticks.
10 mins in the drive through all done and back home. The test centre was  pretty much deserted, maybe 4-5 cars max but space for 30-40. 10 drive through bays in operation.
This is a test centre in Newcastle, probably the biggest hotspot in the uk.
And anyone who describes the actual test as more than slightly uncomfortable needs a long hard look at themselves.
Pretty sure we will be negative but he wouldn’t be allowed back at school without the test being done and we have other family reasons for me getting it done.

Get with the programme  ::) That sort of anecdote isn’t welcome on this forum.   :chair:

Rules are:
a. There must be a failure,
b.  there must be someone to be held accountable for it,
c. ideally, whatever is wrong will be found to be the direct fault of the Tory government,
d. or of Tory cronies,
e. in cases where neither c or d can be proved, then it’s acceptable to blame Corbyn or his cronies,
f. where neither c, d, or e can be shown, then it’s acceptable to blame the public, as long as it’s made clear we’re talking about ‘idiots’. Not nice people like us.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal