UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 689493 times)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#500 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 04:23:13 pm
Coel has been digging into Adams links and found this: on the view of the government modelers on what the government announced.

"I am deeply uncomfortable with the message that UK is actively pursuing ‘herd immunity’ as the main COVID-19 strategy. Our group’s scenario modelling has focused on reducing two main things: peak healthcare demand and deaths... 1/

For me, herd immunity has never been the outright aim, it’s been a tragic consequence of having a virus that - based on current evidence - is unlikely to be fully controllable in long term in the UK. 2/

Sadly, even large-scale changes (like those other European countries are making, and we may very soon) may not control COVID for long. We must flatten the curve as much as possible, but there could still be many infections (and hence immunity). 3/

The communication about COVID science has generally been clear in the UK, but talk of ‘herd immunity as the aim’ is totally wide of the mark. Having large numbers infected isn’t the aim here, even if it may be the outcome. 4/

A lot of modellers around the world are working flat out to find best way to minimise impact on population and healthcare. A side effect may end up being herd immunity, but this is merely a consequence of a very tough option - albeit one that may help prevent another outbreak. 5/

Clearly we cannot finely tune the path of this outbreak. The best we can do is identify actions that have highest chance of effectively and sustainably reducing impact on the population and burden on NHS. 6/

To be clear: we have to reduce impact on UK as much as we can. But we are in this for the long term. A couple of weeks of closed schools and cancelled events won’t solve this - we will have to fundamentally change our lifestyles. 7/

Given the seriousness of the situation, we are obviously working to get our latest modelling analysis out in the public domain as soon as we can. 8/8

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1238821515526897664 "

Maybe explains the fast 'U turn' as it seems from this the government misread the advice.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 04:40:35 pm by Offwidth »

eastside

• regular
#502 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 04:48:03 pm
The bit I don't understand is the "flattening the curve" part.

There are three ways in which flattening the curve will decrease the total number of fatalities.

1. Given a constant capacity to deliver critical care, a flatter curve will result in fewer fatalities as the critical cases will be spread out in time and more of them will actually receive critical care rather than dying at home as some of the earlier cases will have either recovered or died, freeing up the resource for later cases.

2. Critical care capacity can be expanded, albeit slowly, so a flatter curve means a greater proportion further along in time when there is a higher capacity.

3. Possibly most importantly: Given that vaccine development is likely to happen at some point in the future, the flatter the curve the greater proportion of the population will make it to the advent of the vaccine before falling ill.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#504 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 04:54:49 pm
The bit I don't understand is the "flattening the curve" part.

There are three ways in which flattening the curve will decrease the total number of fatalities.

1. Given a constant capacity to deliver critical care, a flatter curve will result in fewer fatalities as the critical cases will be spread out in time and more of them will actually receive critical care rather than dying at home as some of the earlier cases will have either recovered or died, freeing up the resource for later cases.

2. Critical care capacity can be expanded, albeit slowly, so a flatter curve means a greater proportion further along in time when there is a higher capacity.

3. Possibly most importantly: Given that vaccine development is likely to happen at some point in the future, the flatter the curve the greater proportion of the population will make it to the advent of the vaccine before falling ill.

I get that, but I'm skeptical that it can work in a healthcare system like the NHS which is pretty much at capacity before the outbreak starts.

petejh

• forum hero
#505 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 04:56:59 pm
We don't have any alternative options open to us, do we? It's impossible to contain this virus, huge numbers of people will catch it. Therefore a proportion of that number will die. It's a matter of when they die, not if. Longer we can make the duration between outbreak and widespread infection the lesser will ultimately perish.

Goodbye Trump (at least his career..), I hope.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:02:39 pm by petejh »

JamieG

• forum hero
#506 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 05:06:00 pm
Just got an email saying all face to face teaching cancelled at Liverpool University. I suspect the rest will follow suit very soon.

Not at all surprised. I've been working from home this week (as I suspect many other staff have) and the rumours have been floating around every time I talk to a colleague on Skype.

eastside

• regular
#507 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 05:15:02 pm
I get that, but I'm skeptical that it can work in a healthcare system like the NHS which is pretty much at capacity before the outbreak starts.

Yeah just read that bed occupancy was already at 95% in December. Still 5% is worth more spread over time than it is at any one instant. Also things can be done to free up beds, e.g. canceling all elective procedures. Also point 2 and 3 still hold true. Critical care can be expanded, for example now that elective procedures are cancelled you can convert some of your ORs and PACU beds into temporary ICU. So you can still save lives, it isn't a lost cause.

petejh

• forum hero
#508 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 05:31:23 pm
Offwidth I see no evidence for a 'U-turn' and no amount of you repeating it makes it any more true. It's been clear for days that social-isolation measures have been coming, the only unknown is exact timing. It's been clear for a number of days that we're on a path to all the isolation and lock-downs we can handle.

Also, from the same pandemic modeller as previous..

'A couple of key takeaways from our analysis of early COVID-19 dynamics in Wuhan':

We estimated that the control measures introduced - unprecedented interventions that will have had a huge social and psychological toll – reduced transmission by around 55% in space of 2 weeks 1/

There's evidence that the vast majority of the population is still susceptible in Wuhan - we estimated around 95% at end of January. As soon as control measures are lifted, there is the risk of new introduced cases - and another outbreak. Source: https://thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30144-4/fulltext 2/

It's easy to say 'let's just do what Wuhan did', but the measures there have involved a change to daily life that really has been unimaginable in scale and impact. And as we've seen, China cannot sustain them indefinitely. 3/

Countries like Hong Kong and Singapore, which for so long have managed to contain COVID-19, now seem to be seeing a rise in transmission, as infections continue to be introduced. (Source: https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/current-patterns-transmission/global-time-varying-transmission.html) 4/

There isn't going to be an easy solution to COVID-19. Among some extremely difficult options, we have to pick the most effective, sustainable way to minimise risk of overwhelming health system - and impact on the people most at risk. 5/5

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#509 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 05:39:46 pm
Yeah just read that bed occupancy was already at 95% in December. Still 5% is worth more spread over time than it is at any one instant.

We have, apparently, 4k ICU beds at 95% capacity, that's 200 free. Estimated 40m cases, so 4m people need ICU if 10% cases are critical. Flattening the curve isn't going to dint that number of people needing critical care. I appreciate that more beds can be added but it's still going to make little difference as the disparity is so great.

I'm not saying there's no other reason to do it, just that the government is not being transparent in it's reasoning or modelling.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#510 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 05:43:20 pm
Offwidth I see no evidence for a 'U-turn' and no amount of you repeating it makes it any more true.

Front page headline of the FT today, init. Tell them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#511 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 06:19:59 pm
Just got an email saying all face to face teaching cancelled at Liverpool University. I suspect the rest will follow suit very soon.

Not at all surprised. I've been working from home this week (as I suspect many other staff have) and the rumours have been floating around every time I talk to a colleague on Skype.

I’m waiting for that email from my university.

We were due to be on one of the Tenerife flights that were turned back mid air earlier today. With 30 students.

We have a week of replacement classes this week (when the course is running) and having just organised those I suspect we’ll have to re jig things again.

M1V0

• addict
#512 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 07:13:08 pm
Lancaster University cancelled all face-to-face as of Monday.

eastside

• regular
#513 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 07:20:03 pm
Spain is locking down as of Monday.

France is having a soft lockdown starting now it sounds like.

Cafes, restaurants, cinemas, and discotheques are all closed in France. Spain is looking a little more serious.

Edouard Phillipe's speech just now was awesome, basically saying that we have to protect healthcare workers because if they all get sick we're screwed.

As a critical care and emergency nurse I very much appreciate the sentiment and wish there was more of this in the US.

He did say that in France people can still go outside to exercise but to just avoid other people. It's a step in the right direction and I'm glad as that means we can still go bouldering.

36chambers

• forum hero
#514 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 07:23:01 pm
Font in the time of Coronavirus:

I was supposed to be heading to Bishop for the first 3 weeks of April :(. Now that's not happening I was thinking today about how reckless it would be to just drop everything and head to Font ASAP. The temptation is real.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#515 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 07:24:55 pm
I'd be pretty tempted. Yeaaaaaah.

petejh

• forum hero
#516 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 07:36:55 pm
Yeah just read that bed occupancy was already at 95% in December. Still 5% is worth more spread over time than it is at any one instant.

We have, apparently, 4k ICU beds at 95% capacity, that's 200 free. Estimated 40m cases, so 4m people need ICU if 10% cases are critical. Flattening the curve isn't going to dint that number of people needing critical care. I appreciate that more beds can be added but it's still going to make little difference as the disparity is so great.

I'm not saying there's no other reason to do it, just that the government is not being transparent in it's reasoning or modelling.

What part of the government's reasoning or modelling do you not think is being relayed transparently Ru? Genuinely interested.

My take is the transparency is there, if you (not aimed personally at you) want to make the effort to have a dig around and research the figures and implications contained in publicly-available government information. And then compare with previous pandemics i.e. spanish flu and let that information sink in.
I think they're currently wisely unwilling to state the complete most probable truth in plain language for fear of panicking people, and tipping into other social disorder problems right at a point that would make the situation worse.

eastside

• regular
#517 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 08:27:18 pm
Font in the time of Coronavirus:

I was supposed to be heading to Bishop for the first 3 weeks of April :(. Now that's not happening I was thinking today about how reckless it would be to just drop everything and head to Font ASAP. The temptation is real.

Yeah man sorry for the travel ban, I don't think it's going to help anything. Also not sure it would hurt to come out to font but it may lock down for real soon, sort of halfway there already though you can still go to the boulders.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#519 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 08:52:15 pm
I openly admit I was wrong there, however, I can't assess what is not public and its a real shame this advice wasn't released ages ago to recieve proper peer review.

The paper Pete is quoting from was released in 2013.

petejh

• forum hero
#520 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 08:57:12 pm
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

:o

Which is what I suggested two days ago is the most logical response, given the circumstances we find ourselves in.

It seems to my punter mind that in this circumstance you can break the population into two important distinct groups:
1. at high risk of becoming seriously ill. (age group 60+)
2. at low risk of becoming seriously ill. (age group under 60)

Assuming you want to save the maximum number of lives whilst aiming for the minimum economic impact, then wouldn't the most rational thing to do be to impose an extremely draconian isolation measure - enforced by martial law if necessary - on the group at high risk of becoming seriously ill. That would lower the spike of severely ill. And it's fortunate that the most vulnerable group are also economically the least productive (I'm guessing?), so enforcing isolation on this group is less economically damaging than it would be for isolation of age group 18-60.

Allow the group at low risk of becoming seriously ill to continue to go about their daily business.

Holes in that reasoning?

and

.... The logic remains the same that you can divide the population into two quite distinct groups: 1. at high risk of serious illness 2. at low risk of serious illness.

And given the two goals are to  1.minimise fatalities (and burden on health service) and 2.minimise economic damage
to achieve maximum effect in both goals, you could (and should?) treat the two groups very differently.

I'm open to why that's wrong.

I hope it works. Provided there's the resolve to overcome obvious issues, chiefly having old people with underlying poor health alone and unable to be allowed contact with potential carriers, it could be the best of a bunch of potentially bad options.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:05:52 pm by petejh »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#521 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 09:53:01 pm
Have you considered applying for that job Cummings advertised Pete?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#522 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 10:24:06 pm
Does anyone know any decent epidemiology forums, because I’ve got some really urgent questions about AnCap protocols...

tomtom

• forum hero
#523 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 10:26:28 pm
Does anyone know any decent epidemiology forums, because I’ve got some really urgent questions about AnCap protocols...

👏👏 someone start a thread called power club...

petejh

• forum hero
#524 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 14, 2020, 10:46:15 pm
Have you considered applying for that job Cummings advertised Pete?

I wasn't aware of that..
  :lol: This one?:

Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson’s chief adviser, has set the tone for a radical shake-up of Whitehall by inviting “data scientists, project managers, policy experts and assorted weirdos” to apply for Downing Street jobs.

In perhaps the most unusual government job advert ever seen, Mr Cummings invites applications from “true wild cards, artists, people who never went to university and fought their way out of an appalling hell hole”.

He added: “If you want to figure out what characters around Putin might do, or how international criminal gangs might exploit holes in our border security, you don’t want more Oxbridge English graduates who chat about Lacan at dinner parties with TV producers and spread fake news about fake news.”

In exchange, he offers the prospect of long hours and zero job security: “I’ll bin you within weeks if you don’t fit — don’t complain later because I made it clear now,” he wrote on his own personal blog.

Mr Cummings wants to transform Whitehall, synonymous with cautious officialdom, into a dynamic organisation informed by science, data analysis and maverick freethinkers.

He tells “public school bluffers” not to apply for a year-long assignment as his own personal assistant, promising that the job will involve interesting work alongside “uninteresting trivia that makes my life easier which you won’t enjoy”.

The former director of the Vote Leave campaign stressed the long hours, saying: “You will not have weekday date nights, you will sacrifice many weekends. Frankly it will be hard having a boy/girlfriend at all.”

Mr Cummings admitted that some of the Whitehall old guard would have fears about his proposals — “some reasonable, most unreasonable” — but insisted that many officials, particularly younger ones, were ready to embrace change.

His blog enthused about the frontiers of the science of prediction, AI and cognitive technologies, and “the selection, education and training of people for high performance”.

He said: “In many aspects of government, as in the tech world and investing, brains and temperament smash experience and seniority out of the park.”

Mr Cummings’s principal interest is in applying mathematics and science to political problems, and his blog has invited high-achievers from the world’s great universities to apply for jobs at the heart of Mr Johnson’s Downing Street operation.

He suggested, by way of example, that they should consider a paper in the journal Nature — “Early warning signals for critical transitions in a thermoacoustic system” — which looks at systems in physics that could be used to warn of epidemics or financial meltdowns.

The chief adviser, who is positioned at the heart of a powerful new Downing Street machine, is also on the lookout for project managers and innovative communications experts.

His blog suggested Mr Johnson’s government would be willing to expand the number of paid political appointments (special advisers or “spads”) to oversee this new approach.

“We want to hire an unusual set of people with different skills and backgrounds to work in Downing Street with the best officials, some as spads and perhaps some as officials,” he said.

Although the blog is aimed at recruiting outsiders into Number 10, Mr Cummings said there were “many brilliant people in the civil service and politics” and invited them to apply too.

Got to admit it made me chuckle. Be more fun working for Cummings than my current mediocre and cynical cunt of a director. (love you really xx)

I hear spunkgoat got the job and Fiend is his SPAD.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:01:13 pm by petejh »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal