UKBouldering.com

[Peak][Cratcliffe][Chancellor of The Eggs Checker (Egg Arete Sit Start)][7A+] (Read 14667 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Bonjoy, this is interesting. I'm all for naming sit-starts something different but preferably related to the original. Since as you suggest it makes a venue and the problem itself somehow more legit and inspiring. I think that is why I'm not a fan of over the top pun names, it actually takes away from the problem and I feel less inspired.
I tend to agree up to a point. But it depends, puns blend into general wordplay, sometimes this sort of name sounds tortured and awful, sometimes it sounds nice as a name. Sometimes the pun is just too good to waste! Good puns tend to make good names bad puns don't.

Chicken N Mushroom Scoop - A problem involving a chicken wing move up a scoop on 'the Mushroom boulder'. A pun that is too good not to use IMO.
 I Got the Boysen and the adjacent problem I Got the Remedy - These are aretes either side of an old problem called Fissure Boysen. They're quite crap problems and the perfect place to use out and out puns.
 Number 84 Bus - A climb sit starting on some edges and climbing up to a highball green topout, So I named it after a Sheffeild bus route that goes from Low Edges to High Green. A fairly tortured pun, but far too clever to waste!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Bonjoy, along with El Mocho, should be absolutely forbidden from giving naming advice  :smartass: ;)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Bonjoy, this is interesting. I'm all for naming sit-starts something different but preferably related to the original. Since as you suggest it makes a venue and the problem itself somehow more legit and inspiring. I think that is why I'm not a fan of over the top pun names, it actually takes away from the problem and I feel less inspired.
I tend to agree up to a point. But it depends, puns blend into general wordplay, sometimes this sort of name sounds tortured and awful, sometimes it sounds nice as a name. Sometimes the pun is just too good to waste! Good puns tend to make good names bad puns don't.

Chicken N Mushroom Scoop - A problem involving a chicken wing move up a scoop on 'the Mushroom boulder'. A pun that is too good not to use IMO.
 I Got the Boysen and the adjacent problem I Got the Remedy - These are aretes either side of an old problem called Fissure Boysen. They're quite crap problems and the perfect place to use out and out puns.
 Number 84 Bus - A climb sit starting on some edges and climbing up to a highball green topout, So I named it after a Sheffeild bus route that goes from Low Edges to High Green. A fairly tortured pun, but far too clever to waste!

I called my right finish to birdsong birdsong RH because I didn't think I'd done enough original climbing, even though I think it is good, to warrant a new name and out of respect for the original line and first ascensionist. Now I'm worried the greater infringement was not coming up with a good pun!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
To people against  independant names for sit starts I put this question. Would Burbage really be a better place if Submergence and Blind Drunk were instead called Arete Problem Sit Start and Remergence Sit Start?

I'm not familiar with this bit of rock. I think there is a case to be made for coming up with different names but only when the sit creates a climb that is really distinct in character (and probably difficulty) from the stand. I.e. if you're going to give it a new name, it has to be that you're virtually creating a new problem, not just adding a couple of hard moves into the stand. A bit difficult to define exactly but I think people should instinctively know what is and what isn't worthy of a new name. Looking at the vid of the problem in the OP, I'd say (from my armchair) that this doesn't fit the bill. It's just a rancid pull on and a move or two into the stand (sorry, Yoof!).
Likewise with link-ups. When climbing problem A into problem B, if it's worth an entry in its own right as opposed to a note in the text, I normally go with some amalgamation of the two names. Coming up with a completely new name means that things get unwieldy pretty quickly.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

I called my right finish to birdsong birdsong RH because I didn't think I'd done enough original climbing, even though I think it is good, to warrant a new name and out of respect for the original line and first ascensionist. Now I'm worried the greater infringement was not coming up with a good pun!
:lol: Either is good with me.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Likewise with link-ups. When climbing problem A into problem B, if it's worth an entry in its own right as opposed to a note in the text, I normally go with some amalgamation of the two names. Coming up with a completely new name means that things get unwieldy pretty quickly.
Again, I think it’s six and two threes. On the one hand you can have a load of link-ups with no new climbing all with their own names, which seems a bit lavish. Or on the other hand you can have a load of dreary link names, Brown Kecks into Horsefly Lefthand Extension via Yo Momma – the name ends up being virtually a description it’s so longwinded. The latter is hardly conducive to free flowing post crag discussion. Neither is great. Like you say hybrid names are probably the least worst option, but the same thing can be achieved with a bit more 'flavour' if the hybrid is a wordplay rather than a straight cut-n-shut job of bits.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Did Ned's sitter to Egged On today, he called it Ova Arm. Lovely slopers!

Yoof

• menacing presence

I think there is a case to be made for coming up with different names but only when the sit creates a climb that is really distinct in character (and probably difficulty) from the stand.

Character of the stand = subtle and footworky, character of the sit = awkward and slappy
6a-b+ != (massively knacky) ~7a+
Seems to fit those two criteria pretty well. Feel free not to repeat it, Will  ;) .

Monkey Boy, did you look at Egg Arete Sitter too? Also does the foothold on Ova Arm look a bit crumbly to you?

monkey boy

• forum hero
I didn't try egg sitter, I only just got back to the van before the rain hit.

Yes the left foot is a little hollow but it took my weight fine and it must have taken Ned's too so maybe it's ok. Not sure how well superglue would work on it as it's a tiny thin flake. Have you looked at that foothold Bonjoy? It's a great problem so be a shame for it to crumble.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I haven't been there since Ova Arm got done. Will give it a look though next time. Sometimes you can stabilise a flake by dropping fine sand down the back followed by superglue.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Cheers Jon that be great.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Looks good. Weird how no one seems to bother with Eggs is Eggs just left.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Looks good. Weird how no one seems to bother with Eggs is Eggs just left.

I reckon it's cause you can't just pull hard and get to the top. It's a similar situation with Raw Deal. Wish the boulder was just a little bigger, such great rock.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:50:17 pm by monkey boy »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
BB and I had a play on these on Saturday. Arete sitter is almost worthwhile, we both needed a few attempts, crux is contorting yourself into the start position. BB did Ova arm the right-hand version, I got close-ish to the left but it seems a bit like one of those problems where using the nice bonus hold is the crux.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Haha it does make it harder but it's worth it for that hold I think.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Tried this - Eggs Checker - today. Mint connies for it. Think I got the right beta for a problem like this but couldn't quite "seal the deal"

tomtom

• forum hero
I look forward to this making an appearance in Doylo’s next insta collage :)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Tried this - Eggs Checker - today. Mint connies for it. Think I got the right beta for a problem like this but couldn't quite "seal the deal"

If that was the cover photo of a new and improved bouldering guidebook I would immediately buy multiple copies...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal