UKBouldering.com

Instagram psyche (Read 18468 times)

Danny

• junky
#25 Re: Instagram psyche
November 04, 2019, 06:00:32 pm
As an exploratory pebble wrestler, I've always really enjoyed Varian's blogging. It is to UK bouldering what Caff's blog is to UK trad. Straightforward, insightful, often funny, and no fucks given about the typos. I'd probably read a book of Varian's exploits if he was ever inclined to write one.

Mr E S Capegoat

#26 Re: Instagram psyche
November 04, 2019, 06:09:24 pm
That which we revere is that which we hope to experience in ourselves through the other. In that sense never really being ourselves just copying an ideal view of what we might hope to become. Often felt as a need for acceptance or paradoxically a rejection of others. The dreaded double bind.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#27 Re: Instagram psyche
November 04, 2019, 08:47:02 pm
I know your posts Jon (unlike mine) are always very well considered and thought through. Not much risk of being considered ‘wrong’ in there.
  :lol: I'd suggest you ask Sloper about that, but unfortunately he left the forum never to return after taking offence over one of my considered and thought through utterances.

Mr E S Capegoat

#28 Re: Instagram psyche
November 04, 2019, 09:17:06 pm
what did you say to him?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#29 Re: Instagram psyche
November 04, 2019, 09:36:26 pm
Was it 'get with the pogrom'?

Or was that Doylo? Still funny.

abarro81

• forum hero
#30 Re: Instagram psyche
November 04, 2019, 09:54:29 pm
It was the implicit superiority in the comparison I was remarking on.

Oh the irony. Or was that deliberate?

Mr E S Capegoat

#31 Re: Instagram psyche
November 04, 2019, 10:03:40 pm
I’ll admit it does ‘take one to know one’ Alex. Y’knar

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#32 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 01:14:40 pm
Was it 'get with the pogrom'?

Or was that Doylo? Still funny.
I dropped the P bomb in a general remark about something climbing related. And Doylo did come out with that in the ensuing spat  ;D

Mr E S Capegoat

#33 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 01:59:55 pm
Probably a bit severe to describe the lynching of tick mark enthusiasts, bum start excavators and safe-ifying patio-ists. If you’re gonna get a send train going there has to be some balance of acceptability. Otherwise we’ll be back to the thick end of the wedge scenario. I did notice that sloper -ve karma-ed you with quite a vicious attack, and since this time all of your posts have been ‘on point’ ‘accurate’ ‘spot on’ and and all other stuff in keeping with the path of the righteous man as described by Danny above. ✌️💗

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#34 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 02:29:57 pm
You've read all my subsequent posts!?

To be fair I have changed my tone on the internet over time. After a certain amount of back peddling and eating of words I realised what I wrote lasted and people quoted things back at me.
Interventionist activities like patioing, gluing holds, cutting branches are also controversial and it's important to me that I make a rational well argued case for things I've already justified to myself. At worst I don't want to incite any pogroms...

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#35 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 02:38:19 pm
You are one of those people who I can now identify by the way you write, regardless of username. Half of me enjoys your posts and the other half feels like he is reading excerpts from a Jaden Smith essay, if somewhat more eloquent :lol:

It's all a bit woke for me, but  :popcorn:

petejh

• forum hero
#36 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 02:45:04 pm
After everyone Sloper must have agitated with his caustic put-downs, I did think it a bit odd for him to flounce off at that - clearly unmalicious despite the nasty meaning of the word - ‘get with the pogrom’ comment.

Mr capegoat - whatever and whoever it is you object to in ‘climbing today’.. what then does Dan Cheetham’s preferred ‘alternative world of climbing’ look like?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#37 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 04:11:42 pm
Rather like this, I suspect:

andy popp

• forum hero
#38 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 04:20:58 pm
After everyone Sloper must have agitated with his caustic put-downs, I did think it a bit odd for him to flounce off at that - clearly unmalicious despite the nasty meaning of the word - ‘get with the pogrom’ comment.

Sloper is Jewish, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so some sensitivity over this remark is unsurprising.

Mr E S Capegoat

#39 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 04:26:43 pm
Thing is, the rational and well justified and all that jazz can become a bit insipid and stale when taken to the extreme. Like what’s wrong with back peddling and eating words? We’re only human after all, that’s a crime to conformity. The climbing media owns us in that way. Whenever someone buys into a product or training regime they’re selling part of themselves. I’d be tempted to revert to stream of consciousness posting but that went a bit awry heh.
Pete I’m not gonna attempt to answer that as my underlying instinct is that it is all (climbing and it’s ethics and styles and culture) inherently meaningless. In a good way.
Love that photo, he is havin it. You can recognise me as a climber on the high street by my sticky shoes and a Krab hanging off my sack

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#40 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 04:36:56 pm
Maybe not Instagram ( I don’t find it interesting :yawn:) but the internet can bring us joy.

Who can’t relate to this guy, battling with Regent Street (admit, we’ve all been there)? It’s hilarious, as are some of his other offerings.

https://youtu.be/YfZTjooh6B0?t=487

Mr E S Capegoat

#41 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 05:20:22 pm
‘Shit me’ he needs to work on his Flow and aeroPow and work towards a deeper understanding of ‘limit’ and ‘perfection’. Maybe a multidisciplinary approach of Lattice, Hazel Findlay articles and Gresh with a pinch of Redhead?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#42 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 05:50:41 pm
Credit where it's due, he sticks with it. I'm looking forward to the episode on Right Eliminate.

Mr E S Capegoat

#43 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 06:21:10 pm
I’m sorry but I can’t relate to this level of punterdom at all. Maybe fiend will be along in a minute to shed light on the experience?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#44 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 06:27:03 pm
Maybe not Instagram ( I don’t find it interesting :yawn:) but the internet can bring us joy.

Who can’t relate to this guy, battling with Regent Street (admit, we’ve all been there)? It’s hilarious, as are some of his other offerings.

https://youtu.be/YfZTjooh6B0?t=487

I was so ready to hate that, and to be honest that sort of filming yourself is kind of lame, but what a brilliant fight that was. Giving absolutely everything and just about scraping up is one of the best feelings going.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#45 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 07:01:27 pm
Their channel is wonderful. Real climbing.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#46 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 09:31:39 pm
I love those guys! Wuthering and Tippler Direct are also  :popcorn: worthy...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#47 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 09:32:45 pm
I’m sorry but I can’t relate to this level of punterdom at all. Maybe fiend will be along in a minute to shed light on the experience?
I fucking failed on Regent Street at the first low overlap. Admittedly that was 16 years ago or something. Even so, go fuck your face!

Mr E S Capegoat

#48 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 09:37:56 pm
Ah that’s better. Life feels somehow lighter now 🤣

webbo

• forum hero
#49 Re: Instagram psyche
November 05, 2019, 09:45:16 pm
Tipper direct is something else 3 or 4 falls to get to crux. Pisses the crux then has to sit on the gear to do the easy bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal