#300 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 01:12:28 pm
Personally I think x must be zero.

So I can never see my relatives again?

Paul B

• forum hero
#301 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 01:15:46 pm
Last September, he wrote in The Washington Post: “The pandemic ought to make fighting climate change easier, serving as a model for responding to the climate crisis. While it did so at a huge cost to the economy, it has proved that large swaths of the population could change their behaviour and lower the trajectory of emissions — not over decades but in a matter of weeks.”

It's surprising to me that there doesn't appear to be a desire to capture some of the positives that have arisen. Today is MOT day and looking at the mileage I've done, owning two cars over the past year isn't going to come close to being worth it. I've started going back into the office 1/5 days (mostly to appease others and try and resist going back to 4/5) and each time I do it, I'm amazed at how inefficient the days feel (they also feel relatively expensive, considering fuel and then parking etc.).

Wellsy

• forum hero
#302 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 01:21:02 pm
TBH the covid-dry run has been a fucking disaster if that's what it has been

All it's shown is that for some bizarre reason even during the pandemic people were OBSESSED with holidays. The papers banged on about the summer holidays over and over and over again. It seemed to be a weirdly hot button issue.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#303 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 01:21:45 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/09/flexible-working-is-here-to-stay-says-kwasi-kwarteng

I've managed to kerb mine at 3 days a week, hopefully I can hold fast at that.

i.munro

• junky
#304 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 01:32:50 pm
So I can never see my relatives again?

I fear that after 40 years of govermental stalling & dithering the situation is now that you have a simple choice between seeing your relatives & keeping them (along with everthing else) alive.

Having said that I think this was the point that Greta Thunberg was making with her zero-carbon trip to the states. Alternatives to aeroplanes/ diesel cargo ships  can be created - however they won't unless govts force it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#305 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 01:49:44 pm
Cool, I can just sail to East Coast Australia or South Africa.

Greta's stunt was all well and good for someone with a publicity machine at their back and little time restrictions, but it's just not viable for most people, and won't be for a long long time. When we first emigrated to SA from the UK in the late 70s I think the voyage was about 2 weeks. The Union Castle line ships were scrapped by the late 70 when air travel became too popular.   

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#306 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 01:56:53 pm
Out of interest, what is currently the greenest way to take a summer holiday abroad and how much greener is it?

For example, if a family can arrive at their beach front villa in Spain via train for the 1/10th the environmental cost of flying, this is something that should be promoted heavily.

ali k

• junky
#307 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 02:23:05 pm
Timely.. pasted from the Telegraph. Covid travel restrictions being a dry-run for climate travel restrictions. Posted without comment.. other than absolutely fuck being poor in climate-zealots world.
You can be sure the wealthy will carry on travelling, while lecturing the rest of us on climate change.
They’re gonna have to tread very carefully with this. It’s one thing denying access to the nice things in life for the poorest when they’ve never tasted it. But taking stuff away that people are used to like flying to Spain, private ownership of a car, etc won’t go down well if the rich carry on as per usual. It’s a recipe for revolt.

petejh

• forum hero
#308 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 02:27:54 pm

I fear that after 40 years of govermental stalling & dithering the situation is now that you have a simple choice between seeing your relatives & keeping them (along with everthing else) alive.

Not wanting a fight but this is simply not the choice we face - it's an exaggeration, used for effect, of a choice we face now that might help people we'll likely never meet, a long way into the future, avoid some undoubtedly severe long-term effects of a warming planet.

The simple choice, for those who can afford it, is to choose to continue trying to live the same/similar lifestyle but pay much more; or don't and spend less. The choices available to the less wealthy will be narrowed down for them without their input.

Alternatives to aeroplanes/ diesel cargo ships  can be created - however they won't unless govts force it.

Regs for heavy oil used in international shipping changed at the start of 2020 to much lower sulfur dioxide, I remember reading. Hydrogen or heavy batteries augmented by solar arrays feasible for shipping also. I expect shipping, along with electric rail to increase for public transport. Still, all for the wealthier classes aren't they..   

Ali - I think we're at the beginning of a concerted policy to shift the overton window so that more and more people in countries with high rates of consumption over time get used to their restricted, limited lives.

chris j

• forum abuser
#309 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 04:55:48 pm

Greta's stunt was all well and good for someone with a publicity machine at their back and little time restrictions,

It fell down for me when the company running the boat said they would have to fly out 2 people to crew for the return trip...

dunnyg

• forum hero
#310 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 05:31:27 pm
Is it the Jones's jetting off to spain once a year that is causing the majority of air pollution? I would imagine air freight and frequent fliers are surely causing more.

Long haul flights are pretty tricky to reasonably replace, but as we go into the future, perhaps this should be a consideration for those eyeing up a move to Australia etc.. Doesnt help those already in that situation! (This isnt a dig, just a musing).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#311 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 07:46:09 pm

Not wanting a fight but this is simply not the choice we face - it's an exaggeration, used for effect, of a choice we face now that might help people we'll likely never meet, a long way into the future, avoid some undoubtedly severe long-term effects of a warming planet.

The simple choice, for those who can afford it, is to choose to continue trying to live the same/similar lifestyle but pay much more; or don't and spend less. The choices available to the less wealthy will be narrowed down for them without their input.

Alternatives to aeroplanes/ diesel cargo ships  can be created - however they won't unless govts force it.

Regs for heavy oil used in international shipping changed at the start of 2020 to much lower sulfur dioxide, I remember reading. Hydrogen or heavy batteries augmented by solar arrays feasible for shipping also. I expect shipping, along with electric rail to increase for public transport. Still, all for the wealthier classes aren't they..   

As per one of the episodes of the podcast above, they reckoned around 1/3 (iirc) of shipping fuel was wasted due to dirty ships!

With regard to the rich / poor thing. The issue with tax is, as folks have said, that the rich can just keep going on paying (seeing the boom in Rangey Evoques etc. Its clearly not slowing things down much...).

The only fair way is a ration. 1 laing haul per 5 years and one short haul per year or so.  No trading allowed. Fair. But... Where are the Turkeys and is it Christmas?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#312 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 07:48:15 pm
Is it the Jones's jetting off to spain once a year that is causing the majority of air pollution? I would imagine air freight and frequent fliers are surely causing more.

70% of flights by a wealthy 15% of population apparently https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56582094

Maybe Aerosmith came up with the appropriate response to climate change back in 1993!

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#313 Re: Climate Change
August 09, 2021, 10:54:13 pm
As per one of the episodes of the podcast above, they reckoned around 1/3 (iirc) of shipping fuel was wasted due to dirty ships!

I have a friend whose university department is developing a ship paint that barnacles can't stick to for exactly this reason.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#314 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 07:39:01 am
Timely.. pasted from the Telegraph. Covid travel restrictions being a dry-run for climate travel restrictions. Posted without comment.. other than absolutely fuck being poor in climate-zealots world.
You can be sure the wealthy will carry on travelling, while lecturing the rest of us on climate change.
They’re gonna have to tread very carefully with this. It’s one thing denying access to the nice things in life for the poorest when they’ve never tasted it. But taking stuff away that people are used to like flying to Spain, private ownership of a car, etc won’t go down well if the rich carry on as per usual. It’s a recipe for revolt.

I don't know about this, it's comparatively recent as a common thing. Cheap flights to the extent we see now mostly the last 20 years or so.
There are a number of things pouring cold water on indiscriminate short range flights at the moment, EU exit, visa waiver charges brought in, phone charges, COVID testing, and hopefully people are paying attention to the climate situation.
I agree about its disproportionate coverage for the last 2 years though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#315 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 08:27:47 am

No it isn't. it's just an easy target. Freight trains, decent subsidies for home solar panels, better mass transport, safer cycling routes, better home insulation are all initiatives open to government.

petejh

• forum hero
#316 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 08:57:06 am

I have a friend whose university department is developing a ship paint that barnacles can't stick to for exactly this reason.

One use of graphene is as an additive to make low friction coatings to improve fuel efficiency. Of course I’ve invested in a company doing this 😁

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#317 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 09:07:25 am

No it isn't. it's just an easy target. Freight trains, decent subsidies for home solar panels, better mass transport, safer cycling routes, better home insulation are all initiatives open to government.
And fossil fuel - or at least diesel -car scrappage schemes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#318 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 09:27:47 am
Indeed, anything, all of the above, not the present practically nothing though, or flying across the country for a 2 day jolly apart from to appear with our local MP who I would love to give a thorough kicking

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/3365449/boris-johnson-arrives-in-aberdeenshire-what-is-he-doing-here/

dunnyg

• forum hero
#319 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 10:30:05 am
If there was an upsurge in supplying more new cars, that would increase the amount of C02 emissions in the short term wouldnt it?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#320 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 10:57:24 am
Scrapping old diesels shouldn't mean replacing with new cars, but at this stage it probably would.

galpinos

• forum hero
#321 Re: Climate Change
August 10, 2021, 01:38:57 pm
If there was an upsurge in supplying more new cars, that would increase the amount of C02 emissions in the short term wouldnt it?

Nominally, due to the increase in emissions in BEV fabrication compared to ICEV but at the moment we are still buying ICEVs. If we just replaced all those current ICEV sales with BEV sales we would be getting somewhere whilst we move away from car dependency.

ali k

• junky
#322 Re: Climate Change
August 11, 2021, 08:45:09 am
Freight trains, decent subsidies for home solar panels, better mass transport, safer cycling routes, better home insulation are all initiatives open to government.
Taking Greenpeace off the terrorist watch list would also be a good start maybe…

Bradders

• forum hero
#323 Re: Climate Change
August 11, 2021, 01:26:31 pm
I find this idea that people, for example, shouldn't have a car in future nonsensical as that approach to the problem of climate change is completely counter to thousands of years of human development and human instinct itself.

This is a highly teleological take on human history - neither evolution nor instinct have fated us to become automotive societies. We have been automotive societies (societies significantly structured around personal ownhership of cars) for, at best, a century and that outcome was not determined but was the result of choice (in reality, a huge complex of choices, but choices nonetheless). Choices are always available to us as societies.

The US is the ultimate example of this. At the start of the C20th the US was a nation built by railroads - it was railroads that had created the possibility of a national market and economy rather, for example. American cities were amply equipped with public transport systems. The car destroyed that (often also physically destroying communities as highways connecting suburbs and downtowns were driven through poor neighbourhoods). This didn't happen simply because people preferred cars but because of regulatory choices that privileged the car (and the trucking industry). Intercity rail networks evaporated, over time, and cities themselves became choked with cars. This is true of British cities too, though perhaps to a less extreme degree. Increasingly, we have restructured them and our lives around personal car ownership. Now we believe they are a right and a necessity. No-one living in a city should need a car simply to function.

I find the idea that it will be impossible to persuade people to imagine living without owning a car to be as fatalistic as the hairshirt, we're all doomed perspective.

Good post.

Sorry I haven't had time to reply properly. My very succinct view is that societal choice is not really a choice at all, but rather an outcome of various input factors. To take your example of the American switch from railroads to cars, what that ignores is that when the railroads were dominant, the technology didn't exist to challenge them. As soon as it did, guess what happened. People didn't choose not to have cars in the 18/19th century; they couldn't have them, so they didn't. But personal transport was still important (horses.....). When the factors changed (technological advancement, cost, etc.), so too did people's "choices".

Thinking about instinct; take the "automotive" out of it and I would argue that humans have always been instinctively drawn to travel, from the earliest mass migrations out of Africa to the explorers of the  17th century onwards. When the technology has made it possible for us to do so, we've changed how we travel, and (because humans are instinctively selfish), always in the most self sufficient mode possible.

Besides, I was only using the car as an example of my view that people will be extremely reluctant to simply forgo technology which is accessible to them. Which goes back to Pete's point, to make it inaccessible you have to make it expensive.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#324 Re: Climate Change
August 11, 2021, 01:47:29 pm
This discussion seems a bit narrow to be focusing on flight for social, domestic, and pleasure. Surely getting a handle on population numbers and changing food production, transportation, and consumption is at least as important, if not more. Not to mention lots of other things that need sorting.

Though, on the topic of recreational flying, what ever happened to carbon offsetting? I haven't flown in a couple of years and have no immediate plans to, but as and when I do fly again it's something I'd look to do. Secondly, if a flight quota was introduced, why no trading? If my quota was 1 short haul every 3 years, I'd have loved to have flogged that to somebody else.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal