UKBouldering.com

Moronic boulder trundling videos we don't need. (Read 4106 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Moronic boulder trundling videos we don't need.
February 18, 2022, 12:51:00 am
I've trundled boulders - when I was a kid - I've watched huge flakes explode from sea cliffs while cleaning new routes. I think there's a whole story on trundling in Games Climbers Play, but as the destruction littering the base of crags like Stanage shows, we really don't need more videos like this being shared on YouTube - nor the many emulators it'll encourage:

Grrr.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I've trundled boulders - when I was a kid - I've watched huge flakes explode from sea cliffs while cleaning new routes. I think there's a whole story on trundling in Games Climbers Play, but as the destruction littering the base of crags like Stanage shows, we really don't need more videos like this being shared on YouTube - nor the many emulators it'll encourage:

Grrr.
Never knew thins was a thing, now watched it, now youtube probably thinks I'm into that - now I'll see more....

Not sure posting links to these things is the best way to get them off the internet?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Also this video is from 2009!

Also I don't really see the problem, its just kids throwing rocks in a hole. At least they didn't fall down it.

SamT

• forum hero
Just glad I'm not emerging after an arduous caving trip.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Just glad I'm not emerging after an arduous caving trip.

Fair point!

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
Stanage and a number of grit crags is littered with debris from recently trundled boulders - clearly with some folk going to great lengths to move some of the larger ones.

Please don't try to make some ridiculous negative ref to posting links to the videos here as a problem ffs.

There are other crags I've been to when idiots have been trundling stuff off the top too.

Edit: also, as per Sam's comments too - people doing this will be completely unaware of how active caving and other crag pursuits are.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 02:01:41 pm by DAVETHOMAS90 »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Well that's fucked a nice looking blank groove and a decent low prow into juggy arete....

Wood FT

• forum hero

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaDTkMajaEu/?utm_medium=copy_link

:shrug:

That's Lore quarrying his cathedral stone.
He's really taking out his frustration there.

Sorry to get P'd off above, but I'm sure plenty of others will have seen some of the destruction locally.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

That's Lore quarrying his cathedral stone.
He's really taking out his frustration there.

Sorry to get P'd off above, but I'm sure plenty of others will have seen some of the destruction locally.

I had no idea it was an issue -up here I've never seen it so apologies for being so flippant! 

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
Sorry Fultonius too.
I had a go  ;D

Grr.

It's one of the new things the Peak is useful for, that and fly-tipping!

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
Some trundling can be useful though especially if it cleans up otherwise dangerous routes, there's a limit though.
It's often needed in the Lancs quarries!

Wtf!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Moronic Boulder-something Videos That We Don't Need would be a good general thread though....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Moronic Boulder-something Videos That We Don't Need would be a good general thread though....

A cynical reader might suggest that title covered all Bouldering video threads ever instituted…

SamT

• forum hero

Think thats most probably stone quarrying for something like marble using plug and feathers.  They don't use explosives etc since that shatters the rock.  Will most likely end up as (several) lovely but expensive marble kitchen work tops.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

A cynical reader might suggest that title covered all Bouldering video threads ever instituted…

The farmer who owns Yeadon Crag once saw dunnyg getting out of his car and enquired, "are you another one of them boulder chuckers?". I've no idea what he thinks must be going on at the crag.

webbo

• forum hero

The farmer who owns Yeadon Crag once saw dunnyg getting out of his car and enquired, "are you another one of them boulder chuckers?". I've no idea what he thinks must be going on at the crag.
Maybe he’d watched him fail on one of your problems then start throwing rocks round in an uncontrollable rage. :furious:

dunnyg

• forum hero
We did pull a load of holds off there one trip, maybe he was watching with his binoculars.

Nice chap, towed me out of a ditch in the snow and let me ride shotgun in his tractor.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal