UKBouldering.com

Power Club 473 25th - 31st March 2019 (Read 6604 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
I've done Fine Art, Murph. Just took a while to suss out, had to use non standard beta (i.e. Not available online).
Don't know that having BB sussed will be of any use to you on the link, it joins it right at the top, probably only do the final move. Never been inspired by Fine Beta really, certainly wouldn't be faffed returning to it over and over again, it'd be purely for the grade or training benefit rather than the quality of the climbing.

tomtom

• forum hero
I've done Fine Art, Murph. Just took a while to suss out, had to use non standard beta (i.e. Not available online).
Don't know that having BB sussed will be of any use to you on the link, it joins it right at the top, probably only do the final move. Never been inspired by Fine Beta really, certainly wouldn't be faffed returning to it over and over again, it'd be purely for the grade or training benefit rather than the quality of the climbing.

Fine Beta described to me as 7B for a route climber and 7C for a boulderer... Alpha's up your street I recon...

sdm

• forum abuser
Nai - fine art was easy when I did it the right way and very hard when I didn’t. The difference, for me, was to move my heel from the initial starting LH to a hold quite a bit higher up and righter before reaching the hold on/around the arete with RH. And then remember the hidden foot holds for the top out. Quite funny one of the fails I was straddling the arete trying to get enough friction with my knees. You’ll path it with that beta.

Next time I go there I’ll work the link I reckon because B Blocker is very easy for me - as in it still goes even when not warmed up and with wrong-handed hijinx. No doubt the 7C bit of that is either the middle or the stamina.
The middle moves are probably the hardest but not by much, it's quite sustained. It felt soft at 7C for me. Fine Reservation feels like a big step up but maybe Fine Art is low end 7C and Fine Reservation is high end 7C+?

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
Strong week all around it seems!

M - Poorly considered training session, since I was going for a day in the Pass next day. Lost just enough skin to make things harder for myself.

T - Up to the pass for the first day on rock since the new year. I was not feeling particularly confident for Diesel Power (having not really tried it in a couple of years and feeling weak atm) but had a warm up on the roadside, quickly doing the edges and all the variations of chocolate moose. Felt quite good on Diesel Power and it seems all the core torturing has been working because I ended up punting off the easy penultimate move to the slot with a foot on the spike after all the hard climbing. Gutted, it should have gone! Totally unexpected progress though and totally psyched. Went off and did some trad on the Grochan after I started falling off the bump move, followed by a trip to the Wastad so my mate could tidy off Jerry's Wall (top effort it was).

W - Very sore. Lots of stretching.

T - Tan y Grisiau for some sore and weak action on sharp rock. Friend was trying Tempest. Repeated Tempest again and then went up to Flick of the Wrist, which in my still recovering state felt absolutely desperate, seriously how the hell does everyone find this so easy?! Gave up and went off to try Break on Through, which yielded to a flash attempt. Tried the sitter and found the moves pretty amicable after working them out (not obvious at all), but decided that I didn't know what the rules are regarding how many pads to stack to pull on etc. It felt super low with only 1 and didn't think this would could, so sacked it in. Tany Cafe for some cake.

F - BM session. Not feeling bad on the lower slot, hanging it 8s on my right and 6 on my left. Front three dragging inexplicably weak.

S - Wall session. Felt weak on the panel but strong on the cave features, so did my Diesel Power replica a could of times (similar moves but a grade or two easier) and tried a few moves on a long term project.

S - Rest. Core in the evening with sets of levers.

Elbow status: feeling okay, and on the up. Still doing elbow rehab. Positive outlook.

I got little in the form of new stuff done this week, but for the first time I proved to myself I am actually very capable of doing Diesel Power. Flick of the Wrist still feels absolutely brutal though, but I feel it's very much a binary style problem, it's either okay or impossible. Unfortunately I wont be able to get back to finish off DP till later in the month, so I just need to keep myself fit till then.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Strong week- good effort everyone!

Rehab Diaries Week Thirty-two

STG- "Retro-redpoint" Consenting Adults by end of March, onsighting HVS/ low 6s by end of September.

M- Rest. Stock check thing at work that had me constantly bent over slightly looking for kids’ library books on very low shelves all day- the worst thing possible for my back.

T-Delighted to wake up without a sore back- didn’t seem to have any residual effects. AM- Foundry autos. Unexpectedly did the red route I’ve been unsuccessfully sieging third go. It’s steep and virtually all on pockets (the crux is on shallow two-finger pockets  :sick:) which has always been a weakness for me so very pleased. PM- went for a walk up to Stanage High Neb which was lovely.

W- Rest. Stock check again. Sore back again.

T- Malham. Nervous. Met thekettle  :wave: I reckoned on my previous visit that if I warmed up on Consenting on lead, did all the moves and fell off (deliberately or otherwise) from the three hard bits I would be relaxed enough on my next go to clip from sensible places and lead it clean. That turned out to be exactly right!

:dance1: YYFY :dance1:YYFY :dance1:YYFY :dance1:
I nearly blew a few of the moves which in a way made it even better.  ;D Didn’t have anything planned for after that so just wandered around the catwalk chatting to people and chuckling to myself between belaying stints. Climbed the start of 7th Aardvark (my “project” on my most recent pre-accident trips) to the second bolt like a kind of boulder problem a few times as well- got quite good at it by the end of the day.

F- Rest. The anniversary of my accident. Bought everyone at work cake. Extremely busy day at work (last of the financial year) which was eased by the afterglow of hitting my goal. When I woke up alone, barely able to twitch my toes, in an unfamiliar Spanish hospital a year previous I didn’t think I’d be able to scramble up to the catwalk again let alone tick a route there within a year.  :w00t:

With my unplanned, month-old grade goal ticked a new phase begins. No more top-roping or repeating routes- on sport I want to get back to onsighting in the 6s (not an attractive proposition locally but I will hopefully get down to Dorset at some point) and get back on the harder routes that were my aims before. But more pressing now is the target I dreamed up for this season in the winter-

*kazoo fanfare* All the three-star (in the current definitive books), sub-HVS Peak grit trad routes I haven’t done before.

Turns out that there are 20 of these, most are VS (a grade Cheque 2.0 has yet to lead) and all are either at out-of-the-way venues, are steep cracks, or both. Attempting to tick this list will hopefully:

-Prevent the “all the routes I can climb are shit or I’ve done them before” malaise that I’ve known to affect other injury-weakened trad climbers.

-Get my trad head/ efficiency/ fluency back

-Get me out to crags I’ve never or seldom visited before (with some leg-strengthening approaches in there too)

-Make me better at the steep crack climbs style that I’ve often avoided

-Have a good time with my mate who I used to do trad with all the time until I decided I was going to get good at climbing, an urge he’s, possibly sensibly, never succumbed to.

So without further ado;

S- Five Clouds. Never climbed here before apart from on the Trust boulder. After seconding a few very easy warmups I got on my target route Crabbie’s Crack- “Crack climbing of the utmost quality, at the upper limit of the grade”. First go up I climbed down from the crux in shock at how tough it all was. Second go I found all the holds but found it very tough to get my foot round to the left before the crux sequence due to my Alsatian hips. Lowered off, pulled the ropes and psyched up for a glorious successful go with most of the gear already in place which didn’t happen- still couldn’t get round onto the left below the crux crack and got pumped trying. Left it for another day, led a HS and seconded a Severe then headed to;

Hen Cloud. Bachelor’s Climb the target. It’s a big, honest-to-goodness VS jamming crack with big ledgy rests up a buttress too tall to do in one pitch on my 30m grit ropes. Which didn’t help with the speed I climbed it- we had to bail from halfway as we were running out of time before my mate’s curfew.

S- Black Rocks. First visit in almost 2 years, even longer since I climbed there, even longer since I climbed there with a rope. Also the first time in more than a year that I’ve attempted to climb two days in a row.

Started on the dark side which was a mistake as it’s still a bit damp there and it needs a clean and tidy. Found a VDiff I used to solo on every visit pretty tough :whistle: so we went to the sunny side and got on my target route, the biggest gap on my BR CV, Birch Tree Wall. I slipped out of the offwidth bit on my first attempt years and years ago and have only seconded it since- always found the thin-jamming-with-bad-feet start too sketchy to solo. I had nowhere near the requisite oomph for it today- three goes up and the best one had my left foot refusing to go in the round pocket that’s the start of the first crack easing off. I was out of breath standing below the wall after every go!

When a guy turned up with only shoes, chalkbag and towel and began soloing about as I stood, puffing and panting, with helmet, crack gloves, rope and generous rack attached to me it was like looking back at my previous self from an unfortunate future  :'( and that was before I failed to lead Lone Tree Gully.  :look:

There’s always a new challenge eh? :lol: Still got a way to go on the trad front, a lot of which is due to lack of familiarity and possibly just as much is due to how much standing on your feet and carrying a rack is involved- I’ve been amazed by how little my still-weak legs affect sport and indoor climbing but I really feel it on trad. If there’s one thing my rehab has taught me though, it’s that doing the thing and feeling worked after will lead to being better at the thing.  :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:17:38 pm by cheque »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Awesome, cheque. So pleased for you.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Power Club

Mon - BM light session, back3, front2 and mid2 on small edge and small pockets, x10. Clean and press in between hangs.
Tue - rest.
Wed - rest.
Thu - rest.
Fri - rest.
Sat - rest.
Sun - clean and press x5, static/dynamic pull ups x4, x5.

Smith42

• regular
M – CN Pool, Only just getting used to wearing proper climbing shoes again, got bit carried away and did too many problems and bruised big toe again but was good session.

T - Ran 5.5km.  Toe nail is very angry looking but not painful.

W - Sunderland Wall, warmed up then four long routes with 30mins rest in between.  Good endurance/stamina session.

Th - Run 5.5km and 15km on bike.

F - Was hoping to go to Shaftoe after work to try PINWC but horrendous traffic so ended up at the CN Valley.  Went round some easy circuits then good finger board session with Max Hangs two sets of four @+25kg.  More finger boarding, problems and core to finish.  Good three hour top end session.

Sat - Sorted garden and got garage roof re- felted just before rain.  Run 5.5km and 5km on bike, was feeling bit broken from six hours of chores! 

Sun - Brimham with couple of mates.  Warmed up, worked and did Trench Left Super Low Start 7B+ first try.  Hard/bunched move off the ground then easier climbing to the top, soft, probably 7B but nice to get something done that’s been on my list for a while but never got round to it for some reason.  We then went round half a dozen blocks till it got dark.  Repeated some 7a/7b+s and worked few harder things that should go.

A really diverse weeks climbing and training.  On Sunday I woke up still feeling tired from Fridays training and Saturdays chores plus my sleep has been terrible this week so I was pleased to get anything done but I need to be more disciplined and stop climbing sooner so I avoid trashing my finger tips and body to the point it feels like I need a week off!   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal