UKBouldering.com

anyone seen any good films recently? (Read 53423 times)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#50 anyone seen any good films recently?
October 19, 2004, 01:35:40 am
Quote from: "cofe"
saw lost in translation at the weekend - i liked it.

i thought it was boring shite - but then i was 28,000ft above the mongolian plains and squeezed in to an excuse that airlines like to call a seat when i saw it

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#51 anyone seen any good films recently?
October 19, 2004, 08:07:37 am
Quote from: "cofe"
scarlett joHORNsson isn't bad either

She were great in Girl With a Pearl Necklace Earring too..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#52 anyone seen any good films recently?
October 19, 2004, 08:20:30 am
Quote from: "hongkongstuey"

i thought it was boring shite - but then i was 28,000ft above the mongolian plains and squeezed in to an excuse that airlines like to call a seat when i saw it

A plane is never the best place to watch a film in my opinion. Imagine me trying to squeeze into one of those excuses for a seat.

Warren Miller's new film "Impact" is doing the rounds the next few weeks. Always worth watching, although they are usually a bit formulaic (is that a word?) http://www.warrenmiller.co.uk/ for dates and venues.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#53 anyone seen any good films recently?
October 19, 2004, 02:31:23 pm
any peeps seen Men Behind the Sun? looks lovely  :roll:  supposedly one of the narliest films ever made .nastier than the guinea pig series apparently. (they were all fuckin shit anyway)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#54 Bad Santa
November 17, 2004, 03:56:06 pm
If you like your comedy very dark check out 'Bad Santa'. I do and thought it was pure genius.

:twisted:

cofe

• forum hero
#55 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 18, 2004, 10:14:46 am
off to see coffee and cigarettes at the weekend. one of the short films features the wu-tang and bill murray. i must have died and gone to heaven.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#56 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 18, 2004, 05:24:22 pm
I think its all the old 'coffee and cigarettes' stuff bundled together with some new ones. Not Jarmusch's best work (with is Ghost Dog, but a long way, since you asked) but ok. If you like Jarmush check out 'Dead Man', very strange but kinda cool, in a 'Johnny Depp isn't a poet but does meet an indian called 'Nobody' western' kinda way, also 'Down by Law' with Roberto Benigni who is also awesome in 'Night on Earth' (by far the best section of that film, in fact I'd fast forward to his section)

Whoops, sorry Cofe, don't think you asked for the full Jarmusch low down (wrote an essay on him last year, so I know too much about him  :oops: ) Bill Murray is high value in everything hes in.

Also have you heard the news about ODB? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4011357.stm
Not good.

andy bowie

• regular
#57 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 18, 2004, 08:32:18 pm
saw coffee and cigarettes in Font. last time i was out there - for some reason released there about 6 months before here. Its good ya - some of the 'sketches' are weak imho would of been better scaled down but some quality touches.

Also saw Riding Giants at the showroom last week. that is such a good film. I don't surf but it was inspiring - the size; scale; places; the classic footage of finding North Shore (seemed the equiv. of finding Font) the historical context; the characters. Truly stunning. But the most impressive thing about it was that it was the best film ever about climbing in a way - describing the way of life; the addiction and withdrawal; the team spirit and how nothing else mattered - you could instantly translate it and feel it as a climber. Why hasn't a climbing film ever felt like that?

go see it - its awesome.

JR

• forum abuser
#58 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 18, 2004, 11:11:53 pm
lost in translation sucks...

Layer cake is pretty good..

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#59 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 19, 2004, 03:45:16 am
watched 'The Incredibles' the other night - not as awesome as the reviews are making out but pretty damn good none the less - shame my dodgy copy appears to be missing the last few minutes though.....

also saw Collatoral last night, which i have to say was far better than i expected it to be

Bobling

• menacing presence
#60 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 19, 2004, 10:17:56 am
'Spirited Away' is the best film I've seen recently, very pretty and gentle.  Perfect for a night in with your other half....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#61 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 01:03:07 pm
Has anyone seen "PI" (as in 3.14159....) or "Requiem for a Dream" the DVDs are £5 each in the local FOPP. I can remember them being mentioned somewhere, but cant recall if they were thought to be good or rubbish.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#62 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 01:16:36 pm
PI is class, am liking.
 RFAD is very very bleak, don't buy it if you are prone to suicidal thoughts. Good speed paranoia, posessed fridge scenes though.

cofe

• forum hero
#63 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 01:16:39 pm
Requiem for a dream is very good but also very dark. not a fun film and probably not something you'll watch all the time "hey my favourite film is...". its a little bit a la 'kids'. seem to remember a good soundtrack though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#64 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 01:18:34 pm
One of my favourite films is Naked - that's pretty dark. but then I like Leonard Cohen and Nick Drake too...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#65 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 01:23:24 pm
Fruit tree, fruit tree, no-one knows you but the rain and the air....
 Don't you worry, they'll stand and stare when you're gone....

Naked is class, some of the best ranting, on any film ever.

Rhys

• menacing presence
#66 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 01:32:36 pm
Never liked Naked- Pi is class 'though. 28grammes is a quality film that I saw last week, highly recommended.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#67 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 02:00:52 pm
Pi is very good, strange but very good (kinda like erasorhead mixed with maths).  Also really liked Requiem for a Dream - dead well made but very depressing and not a film that I would want to watch too often (it's like a Gap advert crossed with a "just say no!" campaign -  bad things happening to beautiful, snappy people).

Absolutely love Naked, re the quality ranting - didn't orbital once do a track set to Jonny's wormwood/chernobyl speech (might have been called Salt?)?........ MAGGIE!

Scouse D

• forum hero
#68 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 02:33:48 pm
Watched Bad Santa last night and thought it was brilliant- a must if you like other Cohen brothers stuff.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#69 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 03:14:31 pm
PI and RFAD are top films. Naked is also a top film, I've not seen it for ages and I'm having trouble getting hold of a copy. Anyone help me out?

underground

• forum hero
#70 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 03:17:05 pm
Word to the Coens- I watched The Big Lebowski and it was the funniest thing I've seen in ages... the casting is always class on their stuff.

Other things I've watched and liked: Winged Migration (geese and so on flying transglobal and back), Microcosmos (insects doing their stuff), Eternal Sunshine of a spotless mind, Made in Britain (who's the little sh*t that plays Trevor?), School of Rock.

And the long video for Windowlicker by t' afx

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#71 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 23, 2004, 04:05:23 pm
Quote from: "Jim"
I'm having trouble getting hold of a copy. Anyone help me out?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004COJ2/qid=1101226177/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_3_4/202-7850290-0482249

Don't think its out on DVD, a variety on copies on VHS available used.

and just in case theres any one interested in film who hasn't used it...

the best film site on the web by a long way...

http://www.imdb.com

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#72 anyone seen any good films recently?
November 24, 2004, 05:53:16 am
Quote from: "underground"
And the long video for Windowlicker by t' afx

Hah, that's straight up creepy... My ex refused to watch it.

RFAD is brilliant - I remember watching it and Dancer in the Dark on the same day, and walking out of it at about midnight feeling as bleak as I'd ever felt in my entire life.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#73 Classic film on C5 in 5mins....
December 02, 2004, 07:58:25 pm
"Not Mother?"

Yes that all time classic 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' on C5 in 5 so log off now or set that vid....

I'm off....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#74 anyone seen any good films recently?
December 21, 2004, 03:35:27 pm
Went to see Kontroll a couple of nights ago at the Showroom - superb Hungarian film - very dark but also very funny in parts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal